SH-S183L = TSSTcorp TS-H653L?

vbimport

I read a lot of posts on the net saying that both drives are the same. Is there any SH-S183L firmware that I can flash to the TS-H653L? My TS-H653L is having serious problem since it won’t read a lot of my data dvd-r and labelled them as blank dvd in vista.

Is your TS-H653L an HP OEM drive?

Which media do you use for your DVD-R?

My TSSTcorp TS-H653L came with the HP m7750n PC that I just got so I think it’s an OEM drive.

DVD-R media that I tried:
Ridata 8x DVD-r : able to read
Smart Buy 8x DVD-r: able to read
HP 8x DVD-r: unable to read, disc showed up as blank dvd-r
Maxwell 16X DVD-r: unable to read, disc showed up as blank dvd-r
Memorex 16x DVD-r: unable to read, disc showed up as blank dvd-r
Ridata 16x DVD-r: unable to read, disc showed up as blank dvd-r

Have you updated to the latest HP firmware for the drive. I believe it is 414 now.

The only -R media I have used was while doing reviews on other drives but I can say the the H653L does great with most +R media.

I believe the problem is the crapped Vi$ta.

The drive came with the 414 firmware already, I want to flash it again with the same firmware, but I can’t find it anywhere.

It is available from HP support site.

I tried, unfortunately, it’s for XP only, can’t run on Vista.

Do you have a second system or maybe a friend with a system that will run SATA burners; if so, pull it and install it there long enough to run the firmware update then put it back in your Vista system. Just a thought

it will work on vista if you run it in xp compatibility mode. I did it that way and it worked just fine.

I am having the same problem with this drive. How do you change the compatibility mode?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-44346-2&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en

and to the guy asking about permissions, right click it, choose propeties, the goto compatibility tab and selcted xp, thats what i did and it worked fine.

Hmmm, I recently purchased a Pavilion with this drive. Has anyone seen it show supported write speeds higher than 16x on any DVD+R 16x media? They claim it burns DVD+R @ 18x but I’d like to know what media they’re talking about. So far I’ve tried Tayo Yuden, Verbatim, Ricoh, Prodisc and I always get 16x or slower.

Prodisc which has been burning great @ 16x in my 4 year old HP 640b drive only shows write speeds of 4x and 8x in this thing!! So far I’m not impressed! :sad: