SH-S183L Can't read burned DVDs in Vista

vbimport

I have yet to find a DVD that I burn with the Samsung SH-S183L that I can read in the drive, or the one in my laptop. This is with DVD+R and DVD-R media. I burn a DVD in my Dell D810 NEC burner and it reads fine in the Samsung drive.

Does the S183L have the same lead in problem as the other drives? I’m about to toss this POS drive out the window and get the new 20x Lite-on SATA burner.

I have a S183L but using XP Pro with no problems. No lead in problems here.

Same here. I insert disks burned with the drive into my laptop installed with Vista Business and have no reading problems either.

I read elsewhere on this board that the SH-S183L and TS-H653L are the same. I have the TS-H653L that came OEM with a HP Pavilion a1730n desktop.

I cant do anything with blank media using Vista. I have Maxell DVD-RW media. When I put in a blank DVD and go to Computer, its recognized but wants me to format the media. I selected to format, 25 mins later I get an error unable to format.

Hoping for a solution.

You should contact HP since your burner came with your HP desktop. Or you could try the HP support forum.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/familyhome.do?familyId=403

Hi and Welcome!

This is basically correct, but OEM drives have different firmware (and sometimes different features)

When I put in a blank DVD and go to Computer, its recognized but wants me to format the media. I selected to format, 25 mins later I get an error unable to format. Hoping for a solution.
Please try a real CD/DVD burning application like Nero, Roxio, whatever else and see if that works.
You might also try different media, maybe DVD+R(or +RW).

Michael