SH-S183A REALLY slow?

vbimport

I’ve just built a new PC based around an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus m/b, including SATA Samsung HDD, Dual core 6600. Running Windows XP.

I replaced my old cd writer and dvd player with a Samsung SH-S183A SATA drive and can play Audio CDs fine - just when I put any other cds in I get problems.

First of all autorun doesn’t work. Secondly when I do get onto the CD, it takes an age to load up the application/s. I’m trying to just load up the DVD writer software that came with the drive, i.e. Nero. After about 1-2 minutes, the install screen appears - then selecting anything from there slows the PC down to a crawl, however the HDD lights and DVD writer lights are flashing away constantly.

Has anyone got any ideas what to do here? I’ve installed the firmware update tool and I have the latest version already.

Try to uninstall the drive or put it on another sata port.

Just tried that - uninstalled, rebooted. Same problem.

Moved to another SATA port. Same problem.

Can you boot from the drive ?

Molnart, yes I can boot from the drive. What does this help with?

Any other suggestion please?

I also built myself a new PC recently and discovered a problem similar to the one pcxajb describes in the first message. My Samsung’s SH-S183A DVD-drive performs terribly slow under Windows Vista. When I insert a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM into the drive, it takes a long time for the system to play the disk, if it plays at all. If the autorun works, it takes usually 5-10 minutes for it to do anything. If I try using Windows Eplorer to see the contents of the disc, the process is equally slow.

My motherboard is also Asus P5N32-E SLI, as mentioned in the first post, but my processor is E6420 and I’m running Vista instead of XP.

I would have thought this is a hardware problem, but I have a dual boot PC with both Vista and Ubuntu 7.04 in it and the SH-S183A works like a charm under Ubuntu… I also installed both the Vista and Ubuntu using the S183A-drive, and there was no problem whatsoever at the time. I guess it’s safe to say, that in one way or another it is Windows-related problem, but that’s where my skills end. Any help and suggestions are highly appreciated!

I had similar problems on an Abit AV7 - Redeye mobo running Win XP SP2 with this drive, argghh could not sort it.

Built new system using a DFI Infinity mobo + Vista x64 and no problemos since. Could not burn higher than 4X either on old system, burns fine @ 18X now - A weird one for sure!