SH-S182M Support Lacking?

I have a SH-S182D and I am pretty happy with it. In one of my other machines I was thinking of removing a LG GSA-H10L and replacing it with SH-S182M. I would like to keep the Lightscribe feature so I am interested in the 182M vs 182D for this machine. But it seems that firmware is lagging behind the SH-S182M. The SH-S182D is up to SB04 already. Is this because they are different hardware or since the M model is a later version the D model the earlier D model firmware revisions have been already incorperated?

Does anybody know if they are they really the same burner with just a firmware mod and addition of the lightscribe sensor? Or is it a different chipset.

Hi,

according to http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp SB03 for 182D and SB02 for 182M were both published on 2006-09-09. I consider both versions as equal. SB04 for 182D is brand new, so you should expect a newer version in the next days.

Michael

I know both models have about the same hardware and matching firmware. However, the S182D scans posted so far look quite a bit better than the S182M’s overall.

Nice thing you posted this question - I was thinking about the same thing in my mind. We should probably see a new version soon.

The biggest improvement I am awaiting is the ability to burn Verb DL media at higher speeds. I could do only 2.4X with SB01 (nto tried yet with SB02).

It’s interesting to note that in the other forums several users report that the LS version of the drives do not seem to do as well as the non LS versions. Several users report that the GSA-H22N does not perform as well as the GSA-H22L. And some say the Benq DW-1650 is substandard to the DW-1655. Now we are hearing comments that the SH-S182M performance seems to be a little less than the SH-182D. I feel sure that just adding a additional sensor and some additional code in the firmware for LS capabilities shouldn’t create a problem. If hardware is supposedly the same could the optical pickup assemblies be different in the LS models? That could account for the so called performance differences.

I would like to investigate this too. The few burns that I have done with my new SH-182M (although they are nice!) are not as awesome as some of the SH-182D’s I have seen.

Will try a few more on different media when I get back in town.

Hi,

That means: LS model is worse than non-LS.

Several users report that the GSA-H22N does not perform as well as the GSA-H22L.
This would mean: LS model is better than non-LS

And some say the Benq DW-1650 is substandard to the DW-1655.
This would also mean: LS model is better than non-LS

Now we are hearing comments that the SH-S182M performance seems to be a little less than the SH-182D.
In that case: LS model is worse than non-LS.

I am confused :confused:

Michael

Not to be off topic but I have not noticed the GSA-H22N being inferior to the GSA-H22L.

If anything it’s the other way around, but really it’s to early to tell.

My goof!! It should be the other way around. H22N better than H22L and DW-1650 better than DW-1655.

Yo-

In looking over the few Disc Quality Tests of the S182M vs the S182D - especially with Verbatim 16x -R and +R medias - looks like the M scans are better-

All in all - IMO it is too early in the game to really tell - conclusively - which is superior -eh!

I don’t have the d model but I do have the sh-s182m and I think the burns are fantastic. I mostly use verbatim LS dvd+r (mcc-04) but i did test them on other disc I have also…fujifilm 16x +r (prodisc r05) which most burners I’ve tested show distaste for this media as does the s182m but the burns where better on this drive and actually pretty good when slowed down to 8x. I’ve also tested memorex 16x +r disc (ricohjpn-ro3) and the results are satisfactory with this media also. The burns at 16x are ok but when slowed down to 12x they look much better. I’m also doing testing right now with sony 16x +r (Sony-D21-00) disc and so far GREAT burns with this disc also.

I should also point out that the verbatim disc where the only disc in that selection that supported 18x burning which took 5:30 for a full single layer dvd and the same image to the sony disc was 6:07 at 16x while the the others were slightly slower then both medias at 16x but I don’t recall the exact numbers.