SH-S182M giong flaky

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S182M / TS-H652M. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My Samsung SH-S182M has started acting up – while playing a DVD, it will occasionally eject the disc and make gurgling/seeking sounds. Sometimes after a few moments it will automatically pull the disc back in and resume play from where it was. Sometimes it just hangs. What does this mean? Drive possibly going bad?

You didnt spill any ektoplasm on the drive??

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2129169]You didnt spill any ektoplasm on the drive??[/QUOTE]
It’s acting like I did!

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2129169]Rest In Peace Rick Wright. We’ll see you at the Dark Side of the Moon![/QUOTE]
I second that. My first exposure to DSOTM was seeing PF play it live in its entirety in 1973 a week before the record was released. Great introduction!

Hi,[quote=reynald;2129136]My Samsung SH-S182M has started acting up – while playing a DVD, it will occasionally eject the disc and make gurgling/seeking sounds. Sometimes after a few moments it will automatically pull the disc back in and resume play from where it was. Sometimes it just hangs. What does this mean? [/quote]what kind of discs are these? Commercial discs in good condition? Rented discs with scratches? Burnt discs?

Drive possibly going bad?
At least the drive has problems to read these discs. You might consider to clean the lens.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2129551]Hi,what kind of discs are these? Commercial discs in good condition? Rented discs with scratches? Burnt discs? At least the drive has problems to read these discs. You might consider to clean the lens.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks – it’s been happening with all kinds of discs, including commercial ones in great condition. I ran a commercial lens cleaner (Digital Innovations’ DVD-DR.) on the drive not too long ago, so it shouldn’t be a dust problem. I just ran the cleaner again and will see if it helped.

[QUOTE=reynald;2129674]Thanks – it’s been happening with all kinds of discs, including commercial ones in great condition. I ran a commercial lens cleaner (Digital Innovations’ DVD-DR.) on the drive not too long ago, so it shouldn’t be a dust problem. I just ran the cleaner again and will see if it helped.[/QUOTE]

Those cleaners sometimes don’t work, I had an issue with my PS2 that wouldn’t read CDs but would read DVDs I ran a lens cleaner in it, didn’t work, opened it up, and then cleaned it, worked fine after that! Sometimes the brushes on the lens cleaner can’t actually REACH the lens so sometimes they don’t work at all!

[QUOTE=RCM;2129678]Sometimes the brushes on the lens cleaner can’t actually REACH the lens so sometimes they don’t work at all![/QUOTE]

I can easily believe that, but if I open the drive drawer and peek in, I can’t even see the lens. Can any one confirm that it’s possible to disassemble this model drive enough to clean the lens manually?