SH-S182M DVD burning speed

vbimport

I have an SH-S182M DVD Writer installed on my PC with Win XP OS.

[ol]
[li]The burner has the latest firmware version (SB06).[/li][li]The drive is working as master (I set manually the jumper pin).[/li][li]My BIOS hasn’t any DMA setting.[/li][li]Settings in Win XP (IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers): UDMA Supported: 2 (UDMA 33); DMA Supported: 2.[/li][li]I use an 80 wire UDMA IDE cable.[/li][li]My HDD is defragmented.[/li][li]I use Nero 7.11.10.0.[/li][li]I use Verbatim DVDs.[/li][/ol]My problem is that if I set the burning speed at 16x, the real speed is only in the range 0.9x - 1.7x, so burning a 4.4 GB DVD takes 57 min.!!!
My HDD has the following Win XP settings: UDMA Supported: 5 (UDMA 100); DMA Supported: 2.
Can anyone help with a piece of advice?
Thanks!!

Hi and Welcome!

so the real transfer mode of both, your HDD and your drive, is UDMA2? This is okay for your DVD writer, but not for your HDD (unless your computer is some old machine with Intel BX chipset).

Also, is there some encoding involved, or is this the plain burning process? You might “waste” a disc for a test write with Nero CD/DVD Speed and post the results here.

Michael

Hi [B]Michael[/B],

Thanks for your quick reply!

My HDD has [B]UDMA 5 (UDMA 100)[/B] as you can also read in my first topic!

I attached the file with the results of the Nero CD - DVD Speed Write test.

My System RAMemory is 1 GB.

My IDE Controller has the latest driver: SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller; Driver Provider: Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.; Driver Date: 9/15/2003.

Any new idea?

Thanks!!

Best wishes,

Doru-Calin Ciobanu

Hi,[quote=dorucalinciobanu;2077601]
My HDD has [B]UDMA 5 (UDMA 100)[/B] as you can also read in my first topic![/quote]sorry, I misinterpreted this :frowning:

I attached the file with the results of the Nero CD - DVD Speed Write test.
Thanks. Clearly no DMA active here.
And Windows device manager reports “current transfer mode UDMA2”? Strange. Really strange. Please double check.

My IDE Controller has the latest driver: SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller; Driver Provider: Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.; Driver Date: 9/15/2003.

Any new idea?
You drive is on its own cable, connected to the black end connector?
You may try another cable, even a 40 wired should do (Samsung shipped their retail drives with a 40 wired cable).
Also, check if there is a newer Bios for your motherboard.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for Your reply!

[B]The SH-S182M is the master on the secondary channel along with a LG Combo Drive as slave.[/B] The setting is hardware manager states that they are both Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33.

I attached the file with the results of the Nero CD - DVD Speed Write test for the LG CD Writer. [B][U]I think that this Drive is working fine.[/U][/B]

If we compare the real average transfer speed for both burners:

LG Combo has [B]4.40 MB/s[/B]
SH-S182M has [B]1.36 MB/s[/B]

[B]I don’t believe that DMA is the problem here![/B]

Unfortunately there is no BIOS update available …!
I need maybe a new MB!

Hi,

to make sure, the drive is not faulty: Is there some possibility to try the drive in another computer?

You might also disconnect your LG drive and see if things improve.

Michael

Sofar only simulations of CD/DVD burns been posted, but looking att the 100% CPU usage and bad buffer levels you really have a [I]software[/I] setup problem [I]dorucalinciobanu[/I]. :slight_smile:

You have not posted any details about your hardware (except for “1GB ram”).
My guess; this is an old SiS 5** or 6** series mobo. Don’t expect HDD to run any faster then UDMA/ATA66, no matter what label on your HDD tells you.

My suggestion; make a clean XP install. Don’t use MocoSoft IDE drivers but the latest ones for your mobo from SiS. Example linky.
Also make sure you read up on mobos manual and that you know how to fully install IDE drivers.
Good luck. :wink:

Hi pinto2,

Thanks for Your hint!

I have a PC Chips M810DLU MotherBoard with onboard processor (AMD Duron, 1200 MHz, working @ 1330 MHz), onboard Network card, onboard video and audio card.

My IDE Controller [B][I][U]HAS THE LATEST SiS DRIVER[/U][/I][/B] as You can read in my former post!!

I’ll try to clean install my OS but the real solution could be another MB!!

Thanks for providing some specs of your box after all. :slight_smile:
That system when properly configurated shouldn’t have any problems burning at 16x.
Just “replacing” the mobo is waste of money. Then better to buy an up-to-date system.

I don’t believe that DMA is the problem here!
Think you are very wrong here. Evidently, IDE drivers /settings are your problems here and I already said why in my post above.
But, it’s your call. :wink:

Hi pinto2,

Thanks again for Your answer!

I [B]know[/B] that a new system is the best choice but I’m [B]forced[/B] to choose a cheaper solution!

My MoBo gives signs that it’s tired (sometimes BIOS doesn’t detect my HDDs or my ODDs)!

But first of all I’ll clean install my OS and all the drivers, maybe in the next weekend!