Greetings from a newbie to the world of DVD writers.
After searching the forums, I haven't been able to find anyone with my particular problem as outlined below.
My problem is with getting the newly-installed SH-S182M (master) to recognize when I pop in a DVD. The drive can read/play both data and audio discs with no problems. However, when I drop in a retail DVD, it acts as if there's nothing in the drive. Nothing comes up when I explore the disc via Explorer or Disk Manager. Take that DVD out and drop it into my DVD reader (slave), I can explore the contents and play the movie.
I thought I had a defective drive when I first bought the unit so I returned it and got another identical drive. Went through the installation (including the upgrade of the firmware) and get the same behavior.
Calling Samsung didn't help much. But the guy I was talking to had me drop in a blank disc (Fuji DVD-R) and fire up the Nero software that came with the drive to burn a movie clip. It showed as working but when attempting to read the disc in either drive, it wouldn't read.
Here's my configuration:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1 GB Corsair PC3200 (512x2)
BFG GeForce 7800
HDD1 - Internal WD
HDD2 - Internal Maxtor
Samsung SH-S182M (master)
Matshita DVD reader (slave)
External Maxtor HDD
External WD HDD
XP Pro SP2
As for the power supply, I can't recall (and can't see the label) of the one I installed but it's either a 600W or 800W. I do remember I dropped extra money on a beefy one so I woulnd't have to deal with power-related issues.
Probably stuff on the list you don't need. If anything's missing, please let me know and I'll update ASAP.
Here are the things I've done/tried so far to try and deal with the problem:
- Upgraded firmware on the new ODD.
- Connected a dedicated power line from the PSU to the 182
- Disconnected the DVD reader drive (slave) in case there were conflicts
- Double-checked the DMA settings and they are set to use DMA mode
- Removed the secondary IDE controller from Device Manager, rebooted, had Windows find the hardware again
- Disconnected the external drives (while working on step 3 above) in case I'm hitting the ceiling on my PSU
- Uninstalled nero 6.0 (came with the new ODD) and downloaded/installed nero 7.x demo version
In closing, I'll apologize in advance if I've left out any pertinent info and/or haven't explained the situation clearly. I'm at the point where I'm becoming blind by this issue and am starting to not think straight.
Needless to say, any assistance is greatly appreciated.