SH-S182M Bitsetting Mode

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S182M / TS-H652M. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all. I have an SH-S182M burner and I’d like to backup a few DVDs using bitsetting mode DVD-ROM on some DL Rs. I’ve heard playback is better when using bitsetting DVD-ROM. Currently when I backup my home DVDs playback doesn’t always work well or cuts off during movie.

Any advice on setting this would be greatly appreciated.

I also just recently purchased a Lite-ON iHAP422-08. Would I be better off using this drive for backups and install the SH-S182M in my HTPC?

Thanks all, greatly appreciated!

Hi tonydotigr,
What media are you using?

Hi and Welcome![quote=tonydotigr;2189348][qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S182M / TS-H652M. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all. I have an SH-S182M burner and I’d like to backup a few DVDs using bitsetting mode DVD-ROM on some DL+Rs. I’ve heard playback is better when using bitsetting DVD-ROM.[/quote]not entirely correct. Old DVD players don’t often support DVD+R (and +R DL), so bitsetting ro DVD-ROM is needed in order to have the disc recognised by the player.

Currently when I backup my home DVDs playback doesn’t always work well or cuts off during movie.
This sounds like a media related issue.

Michael

Currently using TDK media … So how would I bitset with a Samsung? I’ve used many different types of media.

[quote=tonydotigr;2189450]Currently using TDK media … [/quote]What’s the MID of these discs? Use either Nero CD/DVD Speed (Disc Info tab) or DVD Identifier.
The most reliable DL media is Verbatim, preferably if they are “Made in Singapore”.

So how would I bitset with a Samsung?
Use Nero or Imgburn. The latter does bitsetting automagically. Nero should give you configuration options if you click on “options” (see screenshot).

I don’t have that option with my 182D@ Philips SPD2412T :confused:
EDIT: Nevermind - With Philips firmware +R media is also bitset to DVD-ROM (at least if Nero or ImgBurn is used).

Michael

MID = RITEK S04 066 (42h) <-- MID gathered from Nero CD-DVD Speed

So best method would be to just burn with Nero and change book type to DVD-ROM?

Thanks!

Hi,[quote=tonydotigr;2189563]MID = RITEK S04 066 (42h) <-- MID gathered from Nero CD-DVD Speed[/quote]not the best media. Verbatim is the way to go with DL.

So best method would be to just burn with Nero and change book type to DVD-ROM?
I’d prefer Imgburn. If you want to stick with Nero, the “Automatic” option should do the job also.

Michael