Sh-s182d

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung Super-WriteMaster 18x, Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a DVD writer the samsung write master (model is SH-S182D SB06, i think SB06 is the firmware)

I burned a 3GB compressed file last night at 12x using nero 8
I am a bit surprised of how slow it was.

the project finished not less than 21min. can remember the exact time but i’m pretty sure it was more than 21min.

is this normal at this speed?

my PC is
E6700
2gb ddr2 800 dual channel
Gigabyte 965p-s3
Windows xp 32 bit
Memorex DVD+R 16x

some tests also:

also there was an error during the benchmark.
TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT 043E02

what you think of the problem?
i also cant open blank DVD-RW’s :expressionless:

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=rgorospe;2239445]

I burned a 3GB compressed file last night at 12x using nero 8
I am a bit surprised of how slow it was.

the project finished not less than 21min. (…)

is this normal at this speed?[/quote]No. A 12x max. burn should take something about 6 minutes.

my PC is
(…)Gigabyte 965p-s3
Problem #1: Since this Intel chipset does not support P-ATA drives, the manufacturer of your motherboard decided to slap a Jmicron add-on controller onto the PCB in order to support P-ATA drives. These controllers are not problem free with DVD burners.

Memorex DVD+R 16x
Problem #2: A big name for average (at best) media.

some tests also: (snipped)
You can attach images like that directly. (See my signature)

also there was an error during the benchmark.
TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT 043E02

what you think of the problem?
Controller related compatibility issue. It is already mentioned in the FAQ (see my signature)

Michael

Also i believe that a slower burn speed would be better for those [B]CMC MAG M01[/B].

@mciahel
hi sorry for the images, i thought it was big for forums. as you can see its my first post. please bare with me :slight_smile:

the drive is an IDE. also my SATA hard drives are functioning as IDE, its sata driver problem but i will fix it as soon as i reformat. I have 2 Sata Hard Drives which functions as IDE.

also is this “TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT 043E02” a big deal? sorry i cant locate your write ups about it. I’m really new to problems dealing with ODD’s

also besides “TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT 043E02” what you think is my main problem?

I’m also thinking of replacing this drive. if my calculations is right i think this drive is like 2+ years old.
would replacing it with a SATA drive be beneficial?

Controller related compatibility issue. It is already mentioned in the FAQ (see my signature)

-probably this is the solution you are talking about[I]

• Generic solution for controller related issues is to install a PCI controller card. For SATA drives, Silicon Image based cards (non-RAID) are often recommended.[/I]

Hi,[QUOTE=rgorospe;2239788]@mciahel
hi sorry for the images, i thought it was big for forums. as you can see its my first post. please bare with me :)[/quote]No problem. It was only a hint, also I have problems with imageshack sometimes.

the drive is an IDE.
I know, I own the same here :slight_smile:
It’s not a Sata driver issue, but an issue of this Jmicron controller.

also is this “TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT 043E02” a big deal?
This was clear indicator for me that there is a communication problem between the drive and the controller. And this is your main problem.

I’m also thinking of replacing this drive. if my calculations is right i think this drive is like 2+ years old.
would replacing it with a SATA drive be beneficial?
On modern Intel based systems, I clearly recommend Sata drives. But you need to connect the drive to the Intel “powered” connectors.

[QUOTE=rgorospe;2239798]-probably this is the solution you are talking about[I]

• Generic solution for controller related issues is to install a PCI controller card. For SATA drives, Silicon Image based cards (non-RAID) are often recommended.[/I][/QUOTE]For your 182D, installing the drive in an external enclosure (USB) is another option. That’s where my drive resides now.
    But I was not thinking about an additional controller - this would be the solution for older Via Sata chipsets together with a Sata drive.

You can try different things to make your controller work with your drive:

[ul]
[li]play with the settings of the Jmicron controller (some people even were lucky with Raid setting :eek: ) in Bios
[/li][li]try different drivers: either get latest drivers from Jmicron or uninstall them and try Windows built-in standard drivers.
[/li][/ul]Maybe there is a combination that works for you.
Although the drive supports only UDMA2, you may try an 80-conductor IDE cable. Or vice versa.

Michael