SH-S182D / SH-S183L media advice sought

vbimport

I’m looking to make backups and do some off air recording. Taiyo Yuden is listed first in Samsung’s media compatibility for DVD-R media, so considering these results from Froogle, I’d like to know which if any vendors shown have been good to deal with / reasonable shipping, etc.:

Taiyo Yuden 4.7GB 16x DVD-R Spindle 100-pack or this.

I’m guessing that the 16x should give me acceptable results and speed for non-critical use, but I’m not stuck on this brand if there’s a good deal going from a vendor you’ve liked before. I’d pay a bit more for branded, but the “general” quality would also likely work for me, as long as I could be reasonably certain they weren’t counterfeit.

I’m new to this site and a bit overwhelmed by media and recorder reviews, so that’s why I’m asking. I figure a few good responses could save me many hours of reading and research.

Also: What would you recommend (format, vendor, etc.) for data DVDs where longevity and compatibility between readers would be more of a concern.

I’m also looking for something for +RW, where only very similar Samsung burners would HAVE to read it.

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to CDF’s
Well i’ve read for hours here and posted scans from several drives so reading is good and the Search Button is your friend.
Anyway if your not needing speed actually TY02’s 8X are a little better than TY03’s 16X and i get mine from Rima.com

I doubt you can find a way to do this. You could use DVD-RAM discs as they will only work with drives that can read it.
Hope this helps you get on your way some.

I guess the TS meant that other drives MAY read the discs, but if they don’t it’s OK. :slight_smile:

DVD-RAM is superior (more reliable) to DVD-/+RW, but also more expensive. Verbatim makes a good 6x DVD-RW, but I would not use it for archiving.
For DVD-RAM you could use Panasonic, Verbatim or Maxell (basically the same disc). If you compare speeds, you have to consider that DVD-RAM writing speeds have to be divided by 2 because by default everything is verified.

You can search the Blank Media forum for more info. I can’t comment on suppliers as I’m in Europe.

It’s gotten me this far …

Anyway if your not needing speed actually TY02’s 8X are a little better than TY03’s 16X and i get mine from Rima.com
I haven’t gone looking for your burner profile info, but since we’re both here, I assume you have a Samsung.

What kinds of speeds do you see with the 8x which produces something that actually scans well?

Someone noted Rima so I checked prices there, and it looks like a $6 premium for 16x vs 8x. If my experience with CD/RW is any guide, a spindle of 100 would last me most of a year, so that savings is not nearly as important as avoiding problems (assuming that 16x is any better than 8x at a given speed).

I don’t know which “burning scenarios” cause speed to matter more or less because my experience is so limited right now (one data DVD burned – woooo!). I hope this will become more apparent over time as I investigate things like burning a broadcast directly to a DVD, or what have you.

Yes i have a S183L. I also have various others including NEC,LG,BenQ,and Lite-On’s. Your drives are good burners. I know people that are completely happy with them. Each one is good at something different. No one drive has everything as in speed,burn quality,scanning etc… So i’m saying there is no holy grail burner that i’ve ever seen. Some here will argue :rolleyes:

I use 8X for 8X discs and if i recall the S183L burns 8X TY02’s no faster than 8X but other drives will over speed them to 16X.

If you use good media like TY02/TY03’s you won’t have media problems near as often.

I’ve posted scans in this thread.
Looks like if you really want to get into burning you might want to look around the Samsung forum and read some threads. I cannot tell you everything :wink: There’s all kinds of info here. It’s a great place to learn :slight_smile:

Hope this helps you for awhile.

Exactly. I specified -R for the deferred viewing “watch and toss” mode primarily since it was first is and is more likely to be understood by old drives.

DVD-RAM is superior (more reliable) to DVD-/+RW, but also more expensive.
By a LOT!

The backups I make sit on the shelf and are pretty much just for emergencies. They aren’t updated nearly as often as they should be, and I’m hoping that my late arrival to DVD will change this. I can’t even imagine rewriting a disk 100 times, but it really needs to work when called upon.

So rather than going the expensive -/+RAM route and letting the media save you, I’m considering something like DVD+RW for data backups with a more forgiving data format if there is such a thing. I’d love to use Mr. Rainier but I don’t know if either of these drives supports it for writing.

So rather than going the way-expensive media route, Verbatim makes a good 6x DVD-RW, but I would not use it for archiving.
Not on the approved list: TDK, MKM JVC, PVC, RITEK, CMC …
For DVD-RAM you could use Panasonic, Verbatim or Maxell (basically the same disc).
The only -RAM Samsung lists is “Mexell”, which I assume is a typo …
If you compare speeds, you have to consider that DVD-RAM writing speeds have to be divided by 2 because by default everything is verified.
I don’t trust anything 'till it’s verified anyway.
You can search the Blank Media forum for more info.
Thanks, I will!

Hi,

I would prefer +R/+RW (the latter as a VHS tape replacement), as there are some Lead-In issues with Samsung’s 18x series drives. I am not sure if they are resolved with latest firmwares. For better compatibility with older standalone players, you can change the booktype to DVD-ROM with your Samsung.

So rather than going the expensive -/+RAM route and letting the media save you, I’m considering something like DVD+RW for data backups with a more forgiving data format if there is such a thing. I’d love to use Mr. Rainier but I don’t know if either of these drives supports it for writing.
DVD-RAM is good for backups of your daily (or weekly) work, like documents, mail folders etc. So you only need a few discs. DVD-RAM is easy to use, after having installed latest Panasonic DVD-RAM drivers (its installer has to be slightly modified) you get additional drive letters (on W2k) allowing you to use DVD-RAM like a huge floppy disc. Very convenient and safe. And there is better support for UDF than for multisession on conventional media.
I would strongly vote against DVD+RW or DVD-RW as media for important backups. The discs don’t seem to be long lasting and go bad after a few rewrites (this is why I use these only as VHS tape replacement). For backups of static data (music, video, software etc.) use good quality once-writable media.

Not on the approved list: TDK, MKM JVC, PVC, RITEK, CMC …The only -RAM Samsung lists is “Mexell”, which I assume is a typo … I don’t trust anything 'till it’s verified anyway.Thanks, I will!
MKM is Verbatim (MCC). Well known good media, and the best besides TY. Concerning DVD-RAM, Panasonic (they invented this) is also a safe bet. Verbatim DVD-RAM are also Panasonic media. So there is nothing to be worried about.

Michael

If you are looking for a deal on Yuden -R, check this out:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=213072

The SH-S182D, which I have, produces great results with Verbatim 16x +R (MCC004), right up to 18x.

With this drive, I’d definitely recommend it :slight_smile:

I’ve seen very positive comments on MCC004 elsewhere. Switching tracks: Ever try Ritek 8x +RW?

No, but I have some here. I can try one for you tomorrow if you like, and post a quality scan.

However, Ritek media’s not very good, so don’t expect great things :slight_smile:

I’d be interested in hearing about how it turns out, and the scan might benefit others, but it will be some time before I can make sense out of all those graphs and charts!

However, Ritek media’s not very good, so don’t expect great things :slight_smile:
I only mention them because they’re one of the four Samsung approved media vendors (RICOH, MKM, RITEK, CMC) for the +RW.

Maybe that and a buck will get you a (small) cup of coffee, but if you have an 8x +RW brand to recommend, I’m all ears!

Hehe…here you go, Traxdata branded RITEK008 DVD+RW, burned at 8x on the SH-S182D.

My MKM RW media scans a lot better, possibly these would scan better when burned at a lower speed. TRT (transfer rate test) was good, though. :slight_smile: