SH-S182D - Huge Pi layer break?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S182D / TS-H652D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I recently bought some DL discs for the first time and I did a scan and found the following result

As you can see the first layer is perfect, and the second is horrendous. I have always had good scans with SL discs. I burnt at 2.4x and read/burnt with SH-S182D.

Why am I getting such high Pi? Is it a drive that is no longer much use, or is it because of poor reading from the drive?

Thanks

Tony

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I never use either of my 182D’s for scanning, so I don’t know how good they are at it, but that does seem bad, even allowing for some rise on the second layer.

Do you or a friend have a LiteOn or BenQ you can scan with?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any MKM 001 to test with on my own Sammy.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did have another drive, an NEC one I believe. I had to remove it as it was burning and readly badly. I don’t have access to another PC, so I guess I can’t shed any more light on it?

Most NEC drives are good for doing what’s called a Transfer Rate Test in CD-DVDSpeed, but as it’s not installed I guess that’s not an option?

Does the disc playback (if it’s a movie) OK, or can you read the data back to the HDD without error (if it’s a data disc)? If yes to either one of these, I wouldn’t worry too much.

But other members, who’ve perhaps used their 182Ds for scanning, may be able to shed more light, so hang in there :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2113480]Most NEC drives are good for doing what’s called a Transfer Rate Test in CD-DVDSpeed, but as it’s not installed I guess that’s not an option?

Does the disc playback (if it’s a movie) OK, or can you read the data back to the HDD without error (if it’s a data disc)? If yes to either one of these, I wouldn’t worry too much.

But other members, who’ve perhaps used their 182Ds for scanning, may be able to shed more light, so hang in there :)[/QUOTE]

I would install the NEC, but it was virtually in heaven when I removed it lol. I did complete a scan with another DVD with the same media, and I had surprising results. The first layer was a mess, but the second layer was virtually no Pi. So the opposite of the first screencap.

I’m completing a ‘benchmark’ test right now which is what I think you may be talking about? But with my Samsung.

And yes the DVDs I have burnt have always played fine on my standalone DVD player for films.

Thanks

Tony

Yep, benchmark is fine :slight_smile:

Save the Benchmark window as a .png file when it’s done (little floppy shaped icon in the top right), and attach it to your post afterwards.

If it’s a nice smooth upward curve, plus the fact that the discs play fine, I wouldn’t worry too much (even though Samsung drives are pretty forgiving of some disc errors, as they’re excellent readers) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2113492]Yep, benchmark is fine :slight_smile:

Save the Benchmark window as a .png file when it’s done (little floppy shaped icon in the top right), and attach it to your post afterwards.

If it’s a nice smooth upward curve, plus the fact that the discs play fine, I wouldn’t worry too much (even though Samsung drives are pretty forgiving of some disc errors, as they’re excellent readers) :)[/QUOTE]

Finished up and here is a capture of the scan:

I’m happy that the discs play on my DVD player but I just wondered if these kind of results mean the discs won’t last long in the future for readability etc?

I think they’ll be fine for the forseeable future, but obviously scan them/benchmark them every now and then to check for any deterioration. Since you only have your Sammy to scan with, do any future scans of the discs on the same drive so you can easily compare. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2113504]I think they’ll be fine for the forseeable future, but obviously scan them/benchmark them every now and then to check for any deterioration. Since you only have your Sammy to scan with, do any future scans of the discs on the same drive so you can easily compare. :)[/QUOTE]

Sure, I will do that. I did another burn and scanned it, and this time it was the first layer that was high in Pi again, but the second layer would appear to be fine. Quite strange that its only one layer, and varies between which layer is bad and good.

I’m quite confused by all of this :doh:

Variations between layers can often be normal, but since you’re using a Sammy to scan, results maybe inconsistent.

If you’re serious about scanning your media, I would heartily recommend fitting a LiteOn drive alongside your Sammy for scanning duties :wink:

I wouldn’t worry much, 1st because it’s MKM, and that’s the best you can get for dual layer media, and 2nd you said it plays fine, and that’s is the ultimate test.

I recently got hold of the MKM003 media, and burned at a few speeds, it seems 8x is the best? I wanted to burn at 4x for lifespan, but maybe 8x might be better.

4X

8X

The results do seem better than what I had with the MKM001, so I’m wondering if it is something to do with the burnspeed too.

As with every scan I have done, one layer is virtually free of errors, yet the other can be filled with them.

edit

I rescanned the initial 4x burnt disc, and got the following flawless scan (I’m guessing the disc had time to cool down after a burn, as I left it for a few hours):

I’m starting to wonder if the MKM001 2.4X discs don’t work at all well with my drive. I actually burnt about 125 DVDs from that media too.

The SH-S182D could just be really fickle in its scanning. Make sure that you don’t scan immediately after burning, so that both the drive and disc have time to cool down…if you don’t, you might end up with results that aren’t close to the truth about how well the drive can read the disc. :slight_smile:

I know that my SH-S182M was OK with scanning as long as I didn’t keep it scanning 1 disc after another, and if I didn’t use it to scan discs written by certain writers.