SH-S182D Burning DVDs Extremely Slow

I just learned about this whole DMA and PIO thing yesterday. I’ve just been under this strange impression that it supposed to take DVDs a while to burn, but upon doing a little research I found that it’s supposed to take a fraction of the time.

Mine is taking up to 8 hours to burn a DVD. After researching more I found that the problem is probably that I’m in PIO mode instead of DMA. The Transfer Mode stuck in “PIO Mode” is on the Secondary IDE Channel.

I’ve tried EVERYTHING to try and get it in DMA mode, but it just won’t switch over.

I’m about to shoot the computer.

Any advice?

[QUOTE=Naro;1954047]
I’ve tried EVERYTHING to try and get it in DMA mode, but it just won’t switch over.[/quote]

Please explain “everything”.

I’m about to shoot the computer.

Wouldnt help much.

I’ve tried going into the device manager and changing it to “DMA if available” and restarting the PC, and it is still in “PIO mode”.

I tried changing primary and secondary to “PIO mode”, restarting, changing them to “DMA if available”, restarting. All stay the same except the channel with the DVD drive, which reverts to PIO mode.

I tried two completely different registry editing methods that have worked with other people. They didn’t work for me.

I’ve tried uninstalling the channel and reinstalling it but to no avail.

I fooled around in the BIOS to make sure everything was green for DMA, which is is. However it didn’t solve the problem.

I used the resetdma.vbs script, which also did not work.

I’ve been going nuts over the past few days trying to fix this, so I may have missed one but I think that’s everything.

Hi,

try another IDE cable. If that still fails, then try the drive in another computer.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1954669]Hi,

try another IDE cable. If that still fails, then try the drive in another computer.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yep I agree with mciahel you will need a UDMA 80 wire cable as a standard 40 wire cable just
won’t let a burner work at full speed it will more than likely revert to PIO mode instead of DMA. :wink:

Hi,[QUOTE=getit29;1954706]Yep I agree with mciahel you will need a UDMA 80 wire cable as a standard 40 wire cable just
won’t let a burner work at full speed it will more than likely revert to PIO mode instead of DMA. ;)[/QUOTE]Well, the Sh-S182 drives are UDMA2 only, so a 40 wire cable should work also. Such a cable is provided with the retail package.
Sony DRU-830, which is exactly the same hardware, is UDMA4, so an 80 wired cable would be mandatory then :slight_smile:

Michael

A late welcome to cdfreaks [I]Naro[/I]. :slight_smile:

Can you please post detailed information about your hardware and the OS you run. Motherboard model/revision and chipset drivers installed, as most important.
Thanks. :wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;1954721]Hi,Well, the Sh-S182 drives are UDMA2 only, so a 40 wire cable should work also. Such a cable is provided with the retail package.
Sony DRU-830, which is exactly the same hardware, is UDMA4, so an 80 wired cable would be mandatory then :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

OOps my bad :o I didn’t think about it being UDMA2 so yeah a 40 wire should work with it
then at least in theory but I always use an 80 wire if it isn’t a SATA device just to be on
the safe side. :wink: