sh-s162L cannot read dvd but cd okay

i purchased a dvd light scribe burner 2 months ago. it was working well. i burns, reads and lightscribe right but last week, when i was burning, it just stopped doing it in the middle of the process. then after that, it cannot read dvds anymore. i tried to download the firmware updates and its not doing any good. i even tried to surf the net. whats weird is that when i put a cd on it, it works okay. only on dvds. both with data on it or without.

i checked the setup and its on dma. i dont know what to do anymore. when i put dvds on it, the light indicator of the cpu acts like its reading and it even makes sounds like its reading it but its not. i tried to wait for it to load but it takes me forever. i dont think it would work anymore. can you tell me what’s wrong with it?

Hi,

can you try the drive in another computer? Possibly the laser unit for DVD has died.

Michael

i havent tried it. but what i did, coz before, it was just a slave drive but i reinstall it and made it the master and only by itself. it didnt do any good. will that make any difference if i do it to a different computer?

Try it out.