SH 222AL issues

vbimport

hello
I have 2 SH 222AL drives (yes i am one of the fools who bought it thinking i could easily modify the drive since it was a samsung)

anyhow
I am using the drive stock, and I notice a few issues
I only use Verbatim DVD+r and alwasy burn at 8x

with these drives the burn stays at 4X for about 1:45 before it creeps up?
barely gettting to 8X
firmware on drive is SB01

The system is a DELL optiplex C2D 2.7 8GB DDR2 RAM 585W PSU Win7x64

is this normal?
is this a drive issue?

also
when i look at the burned side of the disc i can see “banding” (like different rings of darker and lighter purple)

please help

[QUOTE=jddm;2617595]
I have 2 SH 222AL drives(…)

with these drives the burn stays at 4X for about 1:45 before it creeps up?
barely gettting to 8X
[/QUOTE]Could be normal.

Michael

Well
since i have two of them and I am not currently happy with them, I decided to force flash the SH-222AL SB01
to the SH-222BB ID00 firmware it worked witht he same results. tried ID01 (same) . So then I force flashed it to SH-222AB SB01. I seem to be having better compatibility with the DVD+RW is use (Verbatim)

but here is the rub, For the original drive it was SH-222AL SB01
well I can onoly find the SB00 on the samsung website
I and I tried, using ‘NOCHECK’ I cannot flash back to SH-222AL (at least with SB00)

so did i basically just loose lightscribe (honestly i think 3 other drives have it and I have NEVER used it)
does anyone have a copy of SB01 (for the SH-222AL) for me to try

(and yes i still have my other unmodded SH-222AL SB01 if there is a way to extract the firmware from that one)

just not happy with these drives (I so though they would be like my older samsungs)
oh, which BTW, are the only drives (my 2 older samsungs same model: Samsung SH-222L{i think its a SH-S222L both are listed on label} SB02 RPC1 DVD-RAM) that have serious issues reading DVD+RWs from the SH-222AL (or AB now)

There is still no tool to extract the firmware from a TSST drive. So you need to be patient, perhaps TSST will publish never firmware revisions.

Michael

[QUOTE=jddm;2618203]
I and I tried, using ‘NOCHECK’ I cannot flash back to SH-222AL (at least with SB00)
[/QUOTE]

Well, if it worked one way I don’t see why it shouldn’t work the other way around as well if you use the -NOCHECK parameter.

Try using the same Tsdnwin.exe which you used during the crossflash (the one from the SH-222AB SB01 package). Maybe its got something to do with the version of the Tsdnwin.exe from the SH-222AL SB00 package?

It is worth trying I guess …

[QUOTE=jddm;2618203]
[/QUOTE]

You might be interested to know that Samsung has just released today firmware SB01 for the SH-222AL (see the announcement thread).

thanks

tried, still keeps me at sh-222AB SB01

:frowning: