SH-203b Read Problems

vbimport

My 203b seems to be having read problems. I’m wondering if its on its way out. It has no problems burning (I did a scan of a burned disc on my benq 1655 and it got a 97, so burning is ok.). I used Vertabin 16x +R’s burned at 12x and 2.4x DL’s burned at 4x.

The discs also play back fine in the 1655. The benq is on the motherboards IDE port though. Allthough I don’t seem to be experience any slowdowns or read problems on the hard drives? Its an IBM chipset, about 2 years old. 6 SATA ports (the 203b on its own port and 4 hard drives).

I’m not to adverse with the insides of a burner. Does it use different lasers for read/write? Is it possible theres a problem with the reading laster, but the burning laser is ok?

Anyone else experience similar problems? It just stutters on playback. I burned 720p mkv files to disc, and it just stutters when i try to play it back, which makes me think its not reading fast enough. It used to work fine.

It must of been the burner. My new 223Q showed up today, same SATA cable and power cable and its running without problems. Its a shame I liked the 203b, but it barely lasted me a year (probably burned about 500 discs on it). Allthough that seems to be pretty standard for me and burners, I’d hoped it’d last longer.

My SH-203B couldn’t read anything (CD or DVD) that I burned on my parents’ Lite-On LH-20A1S. I’m pretty sure it’s the Lite-On drive.

My 203B started giving bad quality reads using CD Speed and I thought I had a batch of bad blank DVDs…tossed out maybe 7 before I got a Liteon DH20A-4P and scanned another “bad” disc and it scanned as good. Turns out the Samsung has lost the ability to scan correctly but still burns ok. Doesn’t say much for their quality or lifespan but then what can we expect from a $20 burner regardless of brand name? I suspect others are having the same issue and don’t know their 203Bs are dying.

Hi,

please note that scanning was never supported by Samsung (unlike Liteon). So any scanning capability of a Samsung drive is “accidential” and not purpose.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2166177]Hi,

please note that scanning was never supported by Samsung (unlike Liteon). So any scanning capability of a Samsung drive is “accidential” and not purpose.

Michael[/QUOTE]

So why did people who purchased the 203B use them as scanners and report them as being good readers? Mine worked very well as a scanner for several months then decided suddenly to give erroneous results. I’d say something went bad in a circuit somewhere wouldn’t you? Doesn’t help my feeling that the Samsung is crapping out by telling me it was an “accident” that it worked as a scanner as long as it did. :confused: Anyways I love my Liteon so the Samsung doesn’t get much use anymore.

[quote=fiji5555;2166560]So why did people who purchased the 203B use them as scanners[/quote]because they haven’t read the FAQ.

and report them as being good readers?
The 203 is a good reader. This is totally independent from any scanning capabilities.

Mine worked very well as a scanner for several months then decided suddenly to give erroneous results. I’d say something went bad in a circuit somewhere wouldn’t you?
I agree in that special case. Has anything else changed, apart from scanning?

Doesn’t help my feeling that the Samsung is crapping out by telling me it was an “accident” that it worked as a scanner as long as it did. :confused:
Observe the drive carefully. If the scanning behaviour has indeed changed that dramatically (have you tried to re-scan an older disc you have still scanning results of?), then there might other things go bad also.

Anyways I love my Liteon so the Samsung doesn’t get much use anymore.
The Liteon is definitely the more reliable scanning drive, since that feature is [I]actively supported[/I] by their firmware team. But the Samsung is the better CD writer;)

Michael