Severe decline in pay-TV subscribers supports 'cord cutting' premise

Severe decline in pay-TV subscribers supports ‘cord cutting’ premise.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/09/Egpb12.jpg[/newsimage]Some analysts have dismissed the long-term impact of online streaming services and Internet video on traditional pay TV businesses. A new report from research group IHS iSuppli, however, revealed a startling number of consumers cut the cord on cable and satellite services in the last four months.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/severe-decline-in-pay-tv-subscribers-supports-cord-cutting-premise-51127/](http://www.myce.com/news/severe-decline-in-pay-tv-subscribers-supports-cord-cutting-premise-51127/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I fall on that line where cable-tv isn’t a necessity. If I can’t afford it, the service is expendable. All the media I want is a few 0’s and 1’s away… one way or another!
I could even probably give up internet and piggyback on some open wifi if I really had to where I live (lucky me). With all the media bias and wasteful programming out there today cable-tv is looking more like broadcast tv everyday, except you $$ PAY $$ increasing prices for the content!

For me, the news channels and a handful of shows are all I really have time to watch. For that is it worth $30+ a month? No, not really. Also with all the pro big business bias I’m seeing on the news, I’m about to jettison that waste of time once and for all too (sometime in the next 12 months)!

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2602499]I fall on that line where cable-tv isn’t a necessity. If I can’t afford it, the service is expendable. All the media I want is a few 0’s and 1’s away… one way or another!
I could even probably give up internet and piggyback on some open wifi if I really had to where I live (lucky me). With all the media bias and wasteful programming out there today cable-tv is looking more like broadcast tv everyday, except you $$ PAY $$ increasing prices for the content!

For me, the news channels and a handful of shows are all I really have time to watch. For that is it worth $30+ a month? No, not really. Also with all the pro big business bias I’m seeing on the news, I’m about to jettison that waste of time once and for all too (sometime in the next 12 months)![/QUOTE]
I agree with you. I think the drop in pay TV subscribers has more to do with the economy forcing people to cut expenses than anything else. I’m currently spending almost $100.00 a month for satellite TV with zero premium channels. It’s nuts! If ever needed, that will be the first thing to go.

I have cable but hardly watch anything. I keep it because I need to see my Habs games over the NHL season and on multiple TV’s in my house. Also discovery hd and oasis hd nature channels are fantastic to watch, but I hardly make the effort to sit down and watch them. It’s SUCH an effort :wink:
For the few tv shows I do follow, I download them because my PVR is full and limited in capacity and it’s just easier. And I have them for future viewing.

BTW, 30 something per month is nothin. Videotron cable cost in Quebec is as follows:
Basic service (crappy channels): 17.99
Telefax package (package of decent channels: 30.00
Digital tv network access fee 2.99
HD network access fee: 2.99
Total of 54 bucks a month and this doesn’t included any specialty channels, movie channels, comedy etc. It does include some sports channels.
And those fees @2.99 are just BS fees for the provider to milk customers further.
All in all it’s overpriced, but I want my Habs games so I’ll keep it for now.
BTW videotron also provides phone and high speed Internet so they give some package discounts.
My total is $116 for cable + Internet @ 7Mbps + landline phone. Actually the phone is discounted for a year, the total will go up to $125 soon. How does that sound to you guys? I’d love to bail on it for lower cost options someday.

Cable TV service for homes is going the way of telephone land lines. What cell phones have done, and is doing, to telephone service, the Internet is doing to cable TV service, in general. Cable TV is pricing itself out of existence or maybe they know their gig is up and are trying to gouge their customers on the way down. IMO, entertainment video is going to drive the next great technological advance of the Internet and leave the current cable TV service either dead or a shell of its former self. In the end, I think the real winners will be the content creators (i.e. networks that provide programming) and the end users.

I currently have basic cable, but I don’t think it’s worth what I pay for it. I’ll soon be looking for a good over the air antenna, probably install it in my attic and then use Netflix/Hulu/Crackle/Amazon & other online video to supplement my over the air TV.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2602744]I currently have basic cable, but I don’t think it’s worth what I pay for it. I’ll soon be looking for a good over the air antenna, probably install it in my attic and then use Netflix/Hulu/Crackle/Amazon & other online video to supplement my over the air TV.[/QUOTE]

There is a considerable amount of content that can not be viewed if you cut the cable or in my case Satellite.

Don’t see cable and satellite providers losing a huge portion of subscribers in the near future.
Jeff

Many of the providers will give you discounts too if you call and complain about the price or threaten to go elsewhere, Comcast will most times, they have for me before.
It always worth making a call or going on their support chat and see what happens as most always have some sort of promo deal they can throw your way if you make some polite noise.

PlayOn running on my PC with some plug-ins that grab live streaming channels, or list movies and TV shows, then using the PlayOn link or program on my PS3 has been working pretty well for me.

The only problem is there’s no “channel guide” of what will be on, but I think we’re getting closer to not needing cable tv. Plus I can continue watching on my iOS device when I walk away, something cable can’t do yet.