Several problems with making DVD compatible & exporting

This is my 1st post here…

I need some desperate help! Let me give you some info on what I’m trying to do and then explain what problems I’m running into. I have created a photo montage with MAGIX Movies on CD & DVD 4.0. I’ve burned several copies onto DVD+R discs and plan to give it to family members.

These are the problems I’ve ran into:

1. I didn’t put a menu on it as MAGIX doesn’t have templates that appealed to me nor did they give much option in modifying the templates. So I just left it without menu. So far I can view it just fine on my DVD player (cheapy brand), my father cannot view his and my sister can view hers, but the picture jumps. I’ve been told that one possible cause could be that it doesn’t have a menu is why my father wasn’t able to view it at all. Disc type could be the reason my sister couldn’t view hers.

2. Now that I’ve read up more on disc types and what is more compatible I would like to burn this as a DVD-ROM so no matter who I give it to they can view it, but MAGIX doesn’t give that option. When I try to export this project from MAGIX to AVI or MPEG so I can upload it into another software such as Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.5 that will give me more options the quality is poor.

3. Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.5 has better options on menus that I would like to add to this montage, but I can’t get a good quality avi or mpeg to use.

Can I copy the DVD’s that I’ve already burned, work with them in another software and bypass MAGIX altogether and still get good quality images? What software is recommended to use to copy a created DVD? What is recommended to burn as DVD-ROM?

I just got Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.5 as a Christmas gift that I should be able to create future montages with and have more options on burning to DVD, but I’m still learning the program. I spent months working with MAGIX Movies to CD & DVD 4.0 to create this photo montage and don’t want to nor have time to redo the whole thing in Pinnacle SP 10.5. We are traveling this coming weekend for our family Christmas and this montage was suppose to be gifts, so if you can really help me I would be so grateful!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Most of times, playback problems are due to a low quality disc, and not to the software used to create contents.

What discs are you using? What burner do you have? What firmware? At what speed did you burn these discs? You can retrieve information about the burner with cd-dvd speed.

Regarding the booktype of discs, i.e. burning +R media as ROM, this is not related to the software you are using, but it is related to the burner. Not all burners are able to change booktype.

Can I copy the DVD’s that I’ve already burned, work with them in another software and bypass MAGIX altogether and still get good quality images? What software is recommended to use to copy a created DVD? What is recommended to burn as DVD-ROM?

Yes, you can do any modifications to your discs and then you can burn them on a different media changing booktype in ROM, but again only if your burner is enabled to change booktype.

I hope that this answer to your questions :slight_smile:

I used Sony DVD+R discs. My burner is a Phillips DVD-+RW DVD8701 which came with my Dell XPS 400 computer last year. I haven’t had any luck in finding out what firmware I have as I can’t find anything about my burner. I downloaded Nero cd-dvd speed to try to find out more about my burner, but it didn’t answer those questions. I downloaded Decrypter and it gives me the option to change booktype, however I’m not real famialiar with that program and not sure if that will do the trick.

How do you change the booktype through the burner verses the software or know if your burner is capiable of doing this?

Sorry to be so igornant about all this, I’ll be honest I’m not very tech savvy.

Thanks for your help!

I would like to burn this as a DVD-ROM so no matter who I give it to they can view it

If you change the booktype, you will never get a guarantee that the DVD will be read by every player. Changing to DVD-ROM increases the chances of it being read, especially by older players, but it is not a guarantee (it is frustrating).

Welcome to CDF

To change booktype you need to use the burning software, but being dvd decrypter not more updated, I suggest to get latest (and updated) version of its burning engine, i.e. ImgBurn

However, I can’t find in imgburn a way to change booktype on a Philips drive. Probably your drive is not enabled to change booktype.

Try to use instead cd-dvd speed, and read here how to change booktype.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1540659#post1540659

I am so sorry to keep having to ask question, but thank you again Geno for all your help!

I went through the tutorial for cd-dvd speed in regards to changing book type and following along it does give me the option to do that. My question is being this isn’t a burning software (I am correct that this isn’t a burning software, right?) how will that change my booktype for me when it comes to burning the montage being it’s being burned out of a different software?

I’ve also looked at Imgburn and for some reason the BenQ recognizes my burner. Is that possible even though it’s a Philips?

I’m pretty certain that my drive allows me to change booktype being all the software that gives you that option lets me. My question is now how do I burn the montage onto a +R disc and change the booktype DVD-ROM? Do I need to pull it off of a already burned disc and upload into a burning software (which one?) or did cd-dvd speed change my booktype for me for all future burning no matter what software burns it?

Sorry again for being so ignorant when it comes to this!

No problem at all :slight_smile:

It is possible that your burner is actually a rebranded benq, so you can use the benq tool of Imgburn to change booktype. Give it a try and see if it works :slight_smile:

CD-DVD speed is primarily a software to execute various tests on optical drives, and it’s not natively a burning software, but you can anyway use it to burn something on a disc. To use cd-dvd speed to do your burnings, however, you must first create a so-called image file, like ISO or NRG.

You can use your video editing software to create your videos, and then save videos on hard disc as ISO file. If your video editing software is not able to save files as ISO, you can anyway use a different software to do your burnings. Imgburn is one of the best options. If you have nero, it’s another option, and also nero allows to change booktype.

However, it is not necessary to use cd-dvd speed to be sure that the booktype will be changed. You can simply use cd-dvd speed or imgburn or nero to change the booktype setting on the burner, and then use any software to do the actual burning.

If this is not enough clear, don’t worry, feel free to post here with more questions: this is the main purpose of the forum :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for all of your help!! Without this forum I would have already thrown the computer, the DVD player and every other technical device out the window. This forum has definitely given me comfort in knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to find out what “technical path” to follow to get there :slight_smile:

I was able to burn the montage as DVD-ROM by using cd-dvd speed to change booktype. However, my father is still unable to view it on his DVD player. I’ve actually burned it to a Sony DVD+R disc, a Sony DVD+R converted to DVD-ROM and a TDK DVD-R disc none of those will play on his, but will on mine. The montage still has no menu on those discs, could that be what is causing it? Is the media I’m using not good enough quality? I want whatever is going to make this montage the most compatible for DVD players. From what I’ve been reading from researching this board, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are highly recommended. I’ve looked at several major electronic stores around me (Best Buy, Circuit City, Frye’s) and haven’t been able to locate any Taiyo Yuden brand disc. Are they only sold in certain areas?

On a good note, I’ve managed to get the montage into another software that will add a menu and it’s seeming to keep the quality. I imported it from an already burned disc into DVD MovieFactory, now I just need to add menu and reburn. I’ll try that tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem with my fathers DVD player not playing it.

Other than getting the best media disc and burning as DVD-ROM and adding menu, whatelse can I do to get this to work?

TY discs can be found mostly in online stores.

Try to do a search in the forum to find sites thet delivers in your zone

Yup… Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim are the only way to go for safer storage, quality, and life.

I finally got it to work on my father’s DVD player. Now I’m just hoping it will work for everyone else!

I ended up burning to Verbatim (didn’t have time to purchase TY online) DVD+R, converted to DVD-ROM, added a menu through DVD MovieFactory and it worked. Not sure there is much more I can do if it does’t work on everyone elses.

Thanks again for all your help! Couldn’t have done it without this forum.

If you have verbatim, don’t worry about getting TY, unless you can find it on sale. Verbatim and TY are about equal as far as quality, with TY having a slight edge, as long as it isn’t their value line, which would be about equal.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

:iagree: