Settings Utility for LiteOn DVD Writers (v1.2.1)

vbimport

Settings Utility for LiteOn DVD Writers
The Official Thread

What is it
The Settings Utility is much like the Smartburn settings tab but with a few extra nice features aimed at reducing the number of mouse clicks.

Firstly, the first tab displayed is the Options tab, so this saves one click:

Secondly, all options can be enabled with one click, so this saves two clicks:

And the last drive selected is restored the next time you run the Settings Utility, so this can save several clicks as well. :wink:

Clear OPC History displays a warning to avoid accidentally clearing the OPC history. This function does the same thing as the Smartburn Clear OPC History.

You can now also set the book type for DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL:

The book type can be set as the default or as a temporary setting, for each media type. If the setting is not permanent then a star (*) is shown after the book type. This should help to avoid a lot of confusion:

The “New setting” automatically changes to the alternate setting when the setting is applied, so you can toggle the setting by repeatedly clicking the set button. If you forget to set the book type as the default, just select the same setting again from the dropdown list, enable the “Set as default” option and click “Set”.

Region setting is now very simple. Just click the option you want to set or clear all settings to the default. RPC1 is region free and seven region codes can be set, after selecting the option from the dropdown list. No longer do you have to worry about vender/user codes. Please note, BD drives cannot be set to RPC1 (region free) yet.

The Setting Utility can be left running in the background and will not affect any access to the drive. After a flash just select the drive from the dropdown list again to refresh the display.

Note:
1/ To avoid confusion, the “Smart Burn” option is now enabled when checked. All options checked is now all options enabled.
2/ For information about what the settings on the Options tab do, see this excellent addition to the FAQ by H3rB3i: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/f-q-liteon-optical-drives-revised-28-april-2007-a-109986/#HTOS
3/ BD drives cannot be set to RPC1, however they can still have near unlimited region code changes.

Credits
Special thanks goes to CDFreaks and RPC1 (The Firmware Page) and the authors of Dvdzone and PLScsi, xvi, Pat LaVarre and r-man. Without them, this utility would not have been possible.

Version: v1.2.1 (14 September 2009)

• Added Region Setting

Version: v1.1.0 (29 March 2008)

• Renamed the settings tab to the Options tab
  • Added bitsettings

Version: v1.0.0 (26 March 2008)

• First release

Download: Settings Utility
Mirror: Settings Utility

Older writers better for CD-R?

Thanks [B]C0deKing[/B]! :flower:
Sweet! This would be an alternative to SmartBurn Utility.

I like this tool better than smartburn

what about destroy disk??

Great CK! :clap:
Do you think to add, in the future, a visualization of MIDs learned? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2026796]I like this tool better than smartburn

what about destroy disk??[/QUOTE]

Currently no drives supported this feature, so it’s useless to implement it (as of time of writing this). Someday when we can use this feature, then CK would probably add it to this tool. :wink:

[QUOTE=mognegna;2026797]…Do you think to add, in the future, a visualization of MIDs learned? :p[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

Fantastic C0deKing! (and it works in Linux, unlike SmartBurn :)).

Can I suggest for one of the future releases to include a bitsetting option as well (so many people get confused by the BookType Util.).

Too cool, almost like a Plextor AutoStrategy Database :cool:.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting me know. :flower:

Can I suggest for one of the future releases to include a bitsetting option as well (so many people get confused by the BookType Util.).

It would make sense for this tool to have it. :iagree:

Too cool, almost like a Plextor AutoStrategy Database :cool:.

Unfortunately the changes made in the A3 drive have made this task more differcult. I might have to limit the feature to HT714 and later. Showing the older HTs last 5 discs is not a lot of use anyway.

Nice job C0deKing and the others :bow: :flower:

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2027338]Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting me know. :flower:

It would make sense for this tool to have it. :iagree:

Unfortunately the changes made in the A3 drive have made this task more differcult. I might have to limit the feature to HT714 and later. Showing the older HTs last 5 discs is not a lot of use anyway.[/QUOTE]

What about A1/A4 drives? It would be nice to know what has the drive learnt…

[QUOTE=Skylon;2027360]What about A1/A4 drives? It would be nice to know what has the drive learnt…[/QUOTE]

Same here :flower:.

[QUOTE=Skylon;2027360]What about A1/A4 drives? It would be nice to know what has the drive learnt…[/QUOTE]
For what reason? All you have to do is remember what the last 5 discs were that you burnt. It’s not like the latest A3 firmware, where it now holds the most common used MIDs.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2027386]For what reason? All you have to do is remember what the last 5 discs were that you burnt. It’s not like the latest A3 firmware, where it now holds the most common used MIDs.[/QUOTE]

Understandable, CK, but it would still be neat to actually see it

I’ll see what I can do but bitsetting will be first, as it’s another setting. :wink:

:bow:Thank you so much C0deKing, you’re great !!!:bow:

By the way, I have one (think stupid and noob) question about Smartbun/Hypertuning.

The drive remembers the strategies of last 5 mediacode burned or the last 5 writing stategies used ?

Thanks so much again

:wink:

Gyxx

Hi Gyxx. The drive stores the last 5 discs that you burn. If the next burn is the same MID as one of these disc then the drive will use the stored information. Otherwise it starts from scratch.

The latest A3 test firmware stores the last 4 discs burned and the last 8 MIDs used. Only the least used MIDs are removed if you use more than 8 different media types, which is a much better way to do it. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, I do agree with you that new A3 approach has more sense ;), hope they’ll made new A1/A4 firmware with the same method.

If I have good understood, burning 2 MCC3R2 disks at 12x and 8x will use only one slot since they share same media code, and learnt info can be used also for a next 4x burning.

If the drive works in this way, what is the best writing speed to make the drive learn good ?

Again, there’s one way to store/restore learnt stategies ?

I do like to try new firmware hacks :smiley: , as all in this forum, but i also like not to start from beginng each time i restore the version i like the most.

Sorry if all these questions were very noob, i tried to look for these info in the forum before asking but found nothing ;).

Thanks again for your hacks and answers

:wink:

Gyxx

thanks COdeKing.

also added an entry to the Software Section @www.cdfreaks.com :wink:

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2027386]For what reason? All you have to do is remember what the last 5 discs were that you burnt. It’s not like the latest A3 firmware, where it now holds the most common used MIDs.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to see it (and perhaps a special display for the A3 now that it’s different) - espeically if you don’t burn with the drive daily and forget like I do! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2027338]Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting me know. :flower:[/QUOTE]

I should clarify that (similarly to CDSpeed) it only works with SATA and USB drives (which are handled as SCSI devices in Linux). In my enthusiasm I forgot about IDE devices, which I don’t have installed. Something about Linux’ IDE implementation, but don’t ask me what :).