Settings for Taiyo Yuden Inkjet Printable

vbimport

Hi -

I’m looking for the settings / dimensions for the printable dimensions for a Taiyo Yuden inkjet printable DVD-R. Thanks! I am using Epson Print CD so I can enter in as a Custom setting.

Thanks!
Alexa

Assuming you don’t possess a ruler, you’d need to tell us what type disc you have. Silver or white? Hub-printable or not?

The outside will be 118mm on any of those.

not a ruler in my house with mm.

looking for insider measurement mostly as the circle of unprintable area by default for Epson CD print looks larger. white. hub-printable.

thank you for any help -
Alexa

On my HP D5160 the inner diameter was pre-set to 45 mm. I adjusted the outer diameter to 117 mm and the hole diameter to 24 mm. It covers, like 99.5 percent of the TY printable disks. I had to set the color saturation about 15 percent higher to have good colors also.

Thank you so much - that’s a big difference b/c Epson Print CD has it set at inner diameter of 43 so I gain back a lot of space there! I’ll certainly test and adjust settings but I appreciate the help.

And, thanks for the tip on color saturation - I hear Epson printers sometime lay down too much ink but I’ll certainly keep it in mind.

Thanks again!

p.s. and, to ruler remark, I look to boards to get expertise from people who have done things already - i can measure, convert - but if someone has printed 1,000 TY with Epson Print CD software, it’s better to just get settings and save hours of playing around. This was my first post here so I certainly hope there’s not that edge to future conversations - it was surprising to me.

I believe you have an account on the muvipix forum too. This is the first time I have checked in here in months.

I had to use a ruler to get things right. Fortunately, I have an old plastic 12 incher with millimeters on the opposing side.

What I did, after getting close at, say 115 and 26 mm, was to print a disk and tweak the adjustments. Those settings were close enough to not waste a disk. Fortunately, I didn’t have to tweak for an out-of-round mechanism. As I mentioned before 117 and 24 was pretty darn close - close enough for me.

Yes, you found me! :wink: I go to the experts in the right area when I can.

thanks for the add’l info - i suspect I’ll be printing a few before I get it right but I’m not doing full-DVD art for this design, so that gives me more flexibility. I wish there was a Print Preview that you could actually print on paper, instead of just pringing on DVDs - I don’t have a lot of dead TY DVDs to practice on! I’m such a perfectionist that if I had started myself, I would have inched down about 4 mm each time and wasted hours and a bunch of DVDs, I think this will give me a good leap to start.

Thx -
Alexa

http://www.taiyo-yuden.com/media/cdr_inkjet.html
http://www.taiyo-yuden.com/media/dvdr_inkjet.html

OK, I am using TY CD-R watershield hub-printable and my setting is 23.5mm x 117.5mm
Canon iP4000 with Acoustica.
Note that Acoustica offers a free trial period and it allows for the printing of a ruler for future reference.

Thanks! Appreciate it - I am looking at getting a second batch of the water shield b/c the TY I have now are just inkjet printable. Fine for some projects but not going to stay for the long term. From what I’ve read, people are really happy with the results.

Water shield?

TY smudge-proof injet, printable -

"New from Taiyo Yuden WaterShield blank media for inkjet disc printers! Unlike normal inkjet discs, WaterShield is water resistent, scratch resistant, and features a glossy finish. Taiyo Yuden, the Inventor of CD-Recordable technology, offers media certified for the highest recording speeds.

The all-new WaterShield blank media is the best way to ensure your discs stay protected from harsh everyday elements. From Taiyo Yuden, the inventor of the DVD-R, WaterShield discs repel water and protect from wear and scratches."

Had some personal contacts here who used them and said they were fantastic for printed DVDs - inkjet print and high quality images but whole different (better) level of durability.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-media-water-shield-white-inkjet-hub-printable-100pk-in-cake-box-spindle.html

Edited to add: Saw this test and also thought - hey, if I can dunk it in water…?!
http://www.burnsmart.com/news-tywstest.html

And, saw this too - ok, done editing!
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/verbatim-hardcoat-dvd-r-versus-taiyo-yuden-watershield-dvd-r-193620/

Oh, I see. I have used SuperMediaStore before and it seems to be a good outfit. But the price premium seems rather steep, don’t you think? OTOH, I suppose it keeps you from having to deal with label damage.

FWIW, I bought the recommended clear acrylic spray for this purpose but I have actually never used it! My HP printed labels seem to be quite durable. I’ve only made about 50 or so and I just replaced my ink cartridges for the first time so I really have no track record here.

I’ll give you the full spec on the spray if you like. Got mine from WalMart.

Edit: I just copied this from one of the reviews on SuperMediaStore:
“I was looking for discs that, when printed, look as good as the movie dvds you buy in stores. These are those. I’ve had great success with them.”

If that’s true they may well be worth the premium. My TYs look a bit ‘muddy.’

I’d love to hear how it goes - there was a long post on here I read about the sprays - some good, some bad - lots of figuring out how to spray without sticky, clumping or dulling CD design.

But as these are for people paying me for archival memories, I don’t feel comfortable with a spray on the surface - no idea how that will work in the long run (not that we’ll be playing DVDs in that many years), but still I’m OK with the price increase for the no-smudge and peace of mind. And, for me, it’s a bonus that my personal DVD will now all look fab-u-lous!

But, Let me know how the spray goes - here’s the post I read:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/cd-dvd-protection-spray-inkjet-labels-146242/

On My Epson R280 using the Epson Print CD software with the Taiyo Watershield DVDs I have been able to print 22mm inner - 117mm outer. That leaves me zero white in the inner hub and no ink spill onto the plastic from what I can see. I see a hint of white left along the outer edge. I tried 118mm, but wound up getting a tiny touch of ink overspill on one side I needed to wipe away. This may have been because my printer centering offsets might not have been dialed in quite right, and will try 118 again next time with my new offsets

after using several different sprays i am now using hair spray, it works great, just place the disc on a piece of copy paper and spray no overspray on the other side, also if you go to
www.taperesources.com about half way down on the right hand side you can request a free sample of the TY watershield it is very impressive if you have not seen them yet however they are a little pricey yet

[QUOTE=motifone;2175186]On My Epson R280 using the Epson Print CD software with the Taiyo Watershield DVDs I have been able to print 22mm inner - 117mm outer. That leaves me zero white in the inner hub and no ink spill onto the plastic from what I can see. I see a hint of white left along the outer edge. I tried 118mm, but wound up getting a tiny touch of ink overspill on one side I needed to wipe away. This may have been because my printer centering offsets might not have been dialed in quite right, and will try 118 again next time with my new offsets[/QUOTE]
Watershield is not printable over the entire white area, and it’s best not to print those areas. About 1/2mm on the outer edge and maybe 1/4mm on the inner are not coated with printable surface.

Been using the Water Shield TY’s for about a year now.
Great looking and no label to worry about.

I use the 118mm / 24mm setting on a R260 Epson printer with a CIS system.
The Disc are a little higher but you don’t have to buy labels and the outcome is worth it.

[QUOTE=jflan;2148157]http://www.taiyo-yuden.com/media/cdr_inkjet.html
http://www.taiyo-yuden.com/media/dvdr_inkjet.html

OK, I am using TY CD-R watershield hub-printable and my setting is 23.5mm x 117.5mm
Canon iP4000 with Acoustica.
Note that Acoustica offers a free trial period and it allows for the printing of a ruler for future reference.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bean55;2178435]Been using the Water Shield TY’s for about a year now.
Great looking and no label to worry about.

I use the 118mm / 24mm setting on a R260 Epson printer with a CIS system.
The Disc are a little higher but you don’t have to buy labels and the outcome is worth it.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s fair to say that different printer/software combinations will show different settings for similar results.
A liittle experimentation may be needed.

A stainless 6" ruler with cork backing & mm scale is ~$4 at WalMart. I’m guessing a few other stores have them at a similar price.

[QUOTE=Steve83;2179154]A stainless 6" ruler with cork backing & mm scale is ~$4 at WalMart. I’m guessing a few other stores have them at a similar price.[/QUOTE]
Not as fancy, but free, up in post #18 :bigsmile:
http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/