Setting Up USB Loader Hard Drive

vbimport

Introduction

[ul]
[li]This tutorial will help you setup an external USB Device for use with your Wii to play backups from WBFS formatted partition.[/ul][/li]

• After following the Hack My Wii guide all you need to do is get your hard drive setup and transfer some games.

What You Need

[ul]
[li]An already Hacked Wii[/li][li]Hack My Wii - troy512’s official wii hacking guide[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]External USB Device[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]WBFSManager3.0.1-RTW-x64.zip[/li][li]WBFSManager3.0.1-RTW-x86.zip[/li][/ul]

Partitions

Use either a third party partition manager or windows built-in disk management.

The first partition should be FAT32 and only needs to be sized large enough for Homebrew applications and media files. At minimum I suggest 5 GB. The second partition needs to be NTFS and sized the entire rest of the drive. Be sure to think about what size you want for WBFS. You can not resize WBFS partitions without removing all games to another drive and reformatting. So I suggest to create WBFS as large as possible. I have all the compatible USA NES, SNES and N64 emulator games and homebrew apps only using 1.8 GB.

Mark both partitions as active and set the FAT32 partition as primary.

Select appropriate drive letters. I set my FAT32 partition as F: and the WBFS partition as W:.

WBFS Formatting

Open WBFS Manager and select the NTFS partition. Be very careful, be sure to select the correct drive. Select format. You now have a WBFS partition.

Transferring Games

Open WBFS Manager and load the WBFS partition. Drag and drop full ISO and scrubbed ISO games to the right window. You can drop single ISO or a full directory of ISO at one time. Click Add to Drive just under your game list.

This is only the basics. There are many options of WBFS manager and you should become familiar with them.

FAT32 Partition

You can setup the FAT32 partition exactly the same as you would setup the SD Card.

e.g … sd:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.dol and so forth for other apps.

Most applications will default to SD Card first. If SD is not detected then will switch to USB. All the forwarder channels in the Hack My Wii package will look at both SD and USB.

Playing the games

Connect your USB Device to the outer most usb port on the back of your wii console. Connect the power cord if needed. Power on your wii, select USB Loader GX Channel, select Start.

If you have Wi-Fi connection to your Wii console press (1) and download 3D covers and Disc Images.

Again, this is only the basics, there is much to read at the official USB Loader GX homepage.

Thanks. This explains a lot.

I always tought a WBFS partition could only be max 120 Gigs, but it seems they can be bigger. :slight_smile: (I guess the same as a NTFS limit?)

Currently i have set up a 120 G disk as one big WBFS partition, so all the other apps are executed and store their files on the sd card. Not that it matters a lot though. A bigger SD card is still cheaper than a bigger harddisk.

Completely unrelated question: What are your experiences regarding playing movies or mp3s from SMB shares? Could there also become a SMB forwarder channel instead of USB or is the WiFi connection of the Wii way too unstable for that?

i play a lot of music over MPlayer CE and network SMB.

i believe it would be possible to make a SMB forwarder channel. however, such a thing has not made it into the scene as of yet.