Setting up, erasing, and aborting when writing? why?

I am new at this, so go easy on me. I burned one with no problem onto a DVD+RW. However, my first try on a DVD+R (maxell 4X) resulted in a very long period after the “creating dvd files” was done where under the writing bar stated “setting up, erasing”. Huh? It spent 10 minutes doing this. The burn light was red on the front of my DVD drive too. After the 10 minutes it said aborting and gave me an error message that it failed. I tried another blank DVD and the same exact thing. What would it be erasing on a blank NON-rewritable disc? Very odd. I started the whole process over for that movie, recreating the dvd files and it worked fine. Then it happened AGAIN on the very next one. Same deal with the “setting up, erasing”, the burn light for 10 minutes, and then aborting and bombing out. Does anyone know what might be causing this, or what, if anything, I could do to prevent or minimize this? This process is long enough as it is - having to redo it for every movie is killing me. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by wowarning
However, my first try on a DVD+R (maxell 4X) resulted in a very long period after the “creating dvd files” was done where under the writing bar stated “setting up, erasing”. Huh?
My Matshita UJ-810 DVD RAM/-R/-RW does this. What is your burner and Firmware revision?

It’s a Lite On LDW-811S (8x DVD±R, ±RW). I’m not sure of the firmware version. The drive is pretty new but maybe there is an update available. Could that do it? I just tried compressing with DVD Shrink and then burning those files with Clone DVD. NO DICE! This is pretty freaking annoying. Maybe the media is the problem?

>Maybe the media is the problem?

Try something else

They’re Memorex 4X DVD+R in the DVD case. I would think name brand media should be okay, but what do I know. I got two movies to burn onto these discs, but I’m still having trouble getting any more to. It’s a spotty problem.

I wasted 3 dvds with the same thing happening to me.
I have a Pioneer dvdrw 106D v.107

I thought it must be the media, even though I had successfully used it before.

To check the media, I made an iso of the movie and saved it to the hard drive.
I then opened nero and burnt the same media perfectly which had previously been aborted by Clone dvd.

So from now on, this will be my method of using clone dvd—
write as an iso and then burn with nero.

What CloneDVD Version are you using?
Which DVDRs (+R? -R?) did you try in which writer?

Regarding Pioneer dvdrw 106D v.107:
Leave the speed setting at maximum.
It looks like CloneDVDs method of setting the write speed confuses the drive.

Elby Clone dvd 1.3.11.2

Do I set the speed in the program?
I thought it was on max speed.

The brand of the dvd-r is ICE 1-4x speed

I’ve got the same problem with the same setup. But I can burn fine onto DVD+RW but not my Clonedisk (Ritek G04) disks (from www.dvd-and-media.com).

My DVD writer is an LG4040B and I had no problems with my last batch of media. Although I have never ripped to HD and then to disk before with CloneDVD!

ok after the first 7 disks in my pack of 25 they burn fine, the first 7 suck!

Cheers,
Fairy

I totally agree with FutureProof…just because its a namebrand disk, it doesnt guarantee a perfect burn.Try buying a small pack of different media’s and see which works the best…better to spend $8 then $50…also turn down the speed of the burn…I’m not 100%positive clonedvd slows down from 8x max to a 4x burn to match the speed of those memorex…does anyone know by chance if it does…My Pioneer 107 is a 8x(+)/8x(-) also but i always change my burn speed to match my disks…my old Pioneer A04 2x(-) that ive had since july2002 never disliked any media i ever used either…thats why i’m thinking it could be bad media…everyone makes a bad batch eventually…just suks to be the guy who buys it…good luck

ok all, I’ve bought a Pioneer 107 (8x drive). Am using the middle button option of CloneDVD version 1.3.11.2. My processor is a P4 @1.8GHz. My OS is Windows XP Pro. I have experienced a similar problem along the lines of aborting after the “setting up, erasing” message. In my case, the “setting up, erasing” message lasts about 1 minute. The message goes to “writing”, and within about 10 seconds, the process aborts. During this writing phase, my HD light doesn’t flicker, indicating that no information is passing from it to the DVD drive.

A message pops up saying that the problem could be down to bad media etc. At first I though this really to be media based, as sometimes it appeared to work, and other times it didn’t. However, I then discovered that if I tried to re-insert a failed disk, it would then work. Sometimes it takes more than 2 attempts to work, but eventually, it DOES always work. Once the write phase starts properly (i.e. my HD light starts flashing to show data is being spooled from the HD) then there are never any further problems and the entire burn is always successful.

To confirm the problem is not media based, the first set of disks I was using were rubbish PC Line (PC World) disks. As such I wasn’t suprised at getting possible errors. However, I then went to Ritech G04 (4x) media and got exactly the same problems. It was then that I noticed that a disk that failed the first time would be ok on subsequent attempts. So far, every single blank in my possesion has been written to successfully (including the rubbish PC Line disks). That numbers approx 30 dvds. Question is, why do I sometimes have to attempt to write the disks on more than one occasion before they will be accepted?

Possibly I’ve got a faulty drive, but I’ve had absolutely no problems reading DVD,s, no problems with blanks being rejected immediately they’re inserted, and once the burn starts properly (e.e DVD data being sppoled from HD onto the blank), nothing has ever been aborted part way through (all backups work flawlessly).

I was having the same problem with successful burns to a +RW, but making coasters out of -R. :a:

Found Roxio Audio Center running in the background, turned this off and I now can burn on any media :cool:

i’ve got the same problem, is the error an writeDVD error 11 5?

I dont have Roxio Audio Centre installed.

Unfortunately for me, the dvd-r does begin to write onto the cd before it aborts, so I get a useless dvd.

Maybe the new Clone dvd 2 might be better.

Originally posted by alazok
[B]I dont have Roxio Audio Centre installed.

Unfortunately for me, the dvd-r does begin to write onto the cd before it aborts, so I get a useless dvd.

Maybe the new Clone dvd 2 might be better. [/B]

It is highly unlikely that CloneDVD2 will solve this.
You aren’t using any 3rd party IDE drivers, are you?

Thanks for your reply

What do you mean by 3rd party IDE drivers and where and what would I look for?

Just realised that I didn’t specify the media format I was using in my original mail. All my disks to date have been DVD-R. I haven’t tried DVD+R.

I now think I have further confirmation that the problem lies with CloneDVD. After what someone else said, I’ve been using CloneDVD to write an ISO image file to my hard drive, and have then been using Nero6 to write that image back to a DVD. This method is definitely more time cionsuming and more convoluted, but I can confirm it works first time, every time!!! I NEVER get any problems this way.

In fact, since using this method, I’ve become so much more confident with my drive that I flashed it yesterday with the latest region-free/speed-hack bios. With Nero’s ability to select write speed, I’m now also able to write at 8x speed on my 4x speed Ritech G04’s. So far 5 out of 5 DVD’s have worked flawlessly this way and with no duds (such a shame it takes so much longer this way). As such, I am 100% sure this is not my system or drive. Oh, just after I flashed my drive last night, I did try CloneDVD again to see if it would write without a problem. Needless to say, I got the same old error…

Rgds

Jules

Originally posted by alazok

What do you mean by 3rd party IDE drivers and where and what would I look for?
Start reading from [COLOR=blue]here

The path to look for [/COLOR]the IDE drivers

Well… my only suggestions would be:

1.) Avoid 3rd party Busmaster IDE drivers
2.) When using Pioneer Writers, leave the speed setting at Maximum