Setting up dual boot (help)

vbimport

Ok, where do i start ??

I am going to set my pc up as a dual boot using power quest boot magic but i am not to sure which order to set my 2 hardrives, cdrom and writer ??

I will call my hardrives Western digital (main operating sysyem)
Maxor ( 2nd O/S )

I have 2 ide ports,

do i put the W/D on the ide1 cable and connect it to the middle connection on the ribbon? set as master ?

put the Maxor on the ide1 cable and connect it to the last connection on the ribbon? set as slave ?

do i put the CDrom on the ide2 cable and connect it to the middle connection on the ribbon? set as master ?

put the Writer on the ide2 cable and connect it to the last connection on the ribbon? set as slave ?

bit stuck as you can see !!!

Help me, i am sitting waiting for a response......

jessie .x.x.x

I have tried doing a search on google on this problem put it didnt help me that much !!

i just wanted to point out that i am NOT lazy and have tried at other sources.

jessie .x.x.x

Hi Jessie!

Why are you so sure that placement of your hardware will affect your dual-boot settings? Sure, if you FIRST make everything on existing config and THEN change drive connections, so, you have a trouble.
But it really doesn’t matter for dual-boot which IDE port are your drives connected to. PartitionMagic handles it all with ease!
In your situation I would suggest following:
WesternDigital on 1st IDE as master
Maxtor on 1st IDE as slave
CD-Reader on 2nd IDE as master
CD-Writer on 2nd IDE as slave

I myself have similar config and have 4 OSes to boot under NT boot manager:

1. NT Server 4.0 on 1st IDE slave
  2. Win2000 Prof on 1st IDE slave
  3. Win98 on 1st IDE master
  4. Linux RedHat 7.1 on 1st IDE master
    And everything runs like hell without any trouble!

P.S. Simply read PowerQuest docs and see for yourself there’s no reason to worry about hardware placing!

Wish you luck!

I quite agree with ReaperMan but I would suggest CD-Writer should go 2nd Master rather than Slave…

It does not really matter what boot manager you are under… (whether it boots from slave or mater… I personally prefer master…)

If you do just want windows and NT or 2000 (Microsoft products…) then you can do without Partition magic…

placing cd units in same controller
(eg all in primary or in secondary controller)
can get you an over-load of data bus when you done a
“on the fly” copy.
If possible,place reader at primary and writer at secondary
or vice-versa,as you want.
if your writer is equipped with burn-proof or similar,the you CAN
use any solution
but the indicated is the better

:smiley: