Setting two routers

vbimport

I have router A and and router B when connect router A to router B through ethernet i will get the IP address of router A. How can i get router B IP address without connecting it to my computer via ethernet cable.

This is my A IP address 192.168.1.254 and the same IP address for router B. When i enter router B settings it will direct me to router A settings since i can’t enter router B IP address, any solutions?

Hold it… how is this all connected?

You two routers. They both also have internet modems built in or just one of them?

How can i get router B IP address without connecting it to my computer via ethernet cable.
What are you trying to accomplish here anyway?

If you want your computer to automatically select a router based upon speed or availability, this is not the way. More can be accomplished by qos.

If you want to host a website over multiple routers i’d suggest looking at a round robin solution.

Hold it… how is this all connected?

From my home telephone box slot i have connected my SpeedTouchC5E215 (Wireless G) router using RG11 cable since don’t have i fiber in my home, from my SpeedTouchC5E215 i conedted my Dlink dir655 (Wireless N) by ethernet cable.

You two routers. They both also have internet modems built in or just one of them?

Both of them have internet modem since they are not that old

What are you trying to accomplish here anyway?

I am trying to use Dlink as a main router. However, i can’t connect Dlink directly from my home telephone box since Dlink has ethernet slots only. Therefore, i have to connect Speedtouch directly from the telephone box then connecte SpeedTouch to my Dlink router through an ethernet cable. Furthermore, i would like to have separate IP address for both of the routers to configure them as i please, i hope i explained it clearly.

I have done the setup long time ago but it’s not working now since i messed up my home network…

Update:

Dlink now can connect to the internet but it’s using Speedtouch’s default IP and i can’t enter Dlink’s setting when i connect to it wirelessly, all i want is to have an IP address for Dlink to enter it’s settings.

[QUOTE=OwaziO;2613467]Update:

Dlink now can connect to the internet but it’s using Speedtouch’s default IP and i can’t enter Dlink’s setting when i connect to it wirelessly, all i want is to have an IP address for Dlink to enter it’s settings.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried 192.168.0.1?

[QUOTE=alex thyl;2613480]Have you tried 192.168.0.1?[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed, it’s the Dlink default IP address when i connect it from my PC to one of Dlink ports.

Look at the images Speedtouch and Dlink have the same default IP (192.168.1.254) this IP will direct me to Speedtouch web interface

It means Dlink does not react at all to 192.168.0.1? Is that right? Owa, join the chatbox here, will be easier to solve the problem.

Correct, unless i connect Dlink to my computer via ethernet.

Owa, have you tried setting your Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1?

Ok, let’s try this:

In Windows set your TCP/IP (4) as follows:

Your IP address: 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
deafult Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

I did that in windows and i get a message that says “undefined network” and “no internet access”

Ok, at the moment can you access the net?

Everything is totally messed up I can’t access the Internet at all, I will try to fix this issue then reply back (I made this post using my iPhone’s 3G network)

Ok, Owa.

I think you could try setting to dynamic. Restart the routers. Most probably you will be able to access the net only thru Speedtouch as a gateway.

(Sent from my iPhone !)

Now i am able to access the internet using Speedtouch only, eventhough i connected Speedtouch to Dlink via ethernet. I am sure there is some setup must be done in one of routers interface… but not sure which exactly and how to do it…

Finally i am able to access the setting of both routers and the internet! i simply followed the instruction in this website

Not sure if this method totally foxed my problems i guess i have to wait and see what might come next.

All i did was to reset Dlink to it default factory settings and detach it from Speedtouch, then i plugged in the ethernet cable to Dlink and plugged the end of it to my PC, i enter the default IP address which was 192.168.0.1 and changed it to 192.168.1.1 after that i disabled the DHCP server, finally i rebooted the router and then i plugged it in to one of Speedtouch’s LAN (it has to be LAN ports not WAN). Now i am able to access both of Dlink and speed touch settings.

It seems that DHCP server was the problem since it was enabled, two routers are assigning IP addresses in the same time which messed up the network, the first router should be the one that assigns IP address.

Why do you need two routers?

Turn the router function off in the speedtouch modem, or turn the routing off in the D-Link router.
Otherwise, turn the DHCP in one of the routers, assign a static IP to your modem, and configure one of the routers to hand out IP addresses ensuring the gateway ip is set to the modems address.

The only reason to cascade routers is if you want to isolate different parts of the network from eachother, and it’s difficult to do correctly, and not particularly effective anyway.

I don’t really know how or why i have to turn the function the routing off and i don’t have this function in SpeedTouch but i do have it in D-link and i only can rout IPs without closing it.

I have setup two LAN to make sure what was that issue i am having, i will list some info to keep track while reading the text.

Setting LAN (A)

SpeedTouch (192.168.1.254) Default Gateway.
D-link (192.168.0.1) My second router attached to SpeedTouch via ethernet.
Airlive set as repeater via wireless (192.168.1.253).
In this LAN i have closed the DHCP in D-link and Airlive and it’s working on SpeedTouch.

Problems occurring in LAN (A):

1. Most of the times i can’t connect to the internet when i connect to Dlink.
  2. I can’t get to the router setting when i enter it’s IP address (192.168.0.1).
  3. Same thing happens to Airlive.

Solution:

I have figure out that i have to change D-link’s IP address number in the third bar from “0” to “1”. Thus, D-links IP address will be changed from (192.168.0.1) to (192.168.1.1). Through this setup i can connect to the internet and enter D-links settings, what i have concluded is that when the first three bars of and IP address in the gateway address 192.168.1 and the last bar of the IP is the routers IP address that assigned by the DHCP server. i didn’t stop here and i wanted to make sure by changing the IP address of Airlive from (192.168.1.253) to (192.168.2.253) to make sure it doesn’t work and it actually didn’t to make sure what i have been doing is right so far, i change the IP address of Airlive agin from (192.168.2.253) to (192.168.1.253) to match the gatway of my main router which is SpeedTouch. now the two routers and the repeater and working as one router. Furthermore, when someone enter D-link or airline their IP address and their MAC address will be recored by SpeedTouch only. My only LAN was to recoerd IP address and MAC address from from the router that i am connoted to and never forwards the information to main router.

Setting LAN (B)

Netgear (192.168.0.1) Default Gateway.
D-link (192.168.0.1) My second router attached to Netgear via ethernet.
Airlive set as repeater via wireless (192.168.1.253).
In this LAN i have closed the DHCP in D-link and Airlive and it’s working in Netgear.

Problems occurring in LAN (B) :

Same problems that is occurring in LAN (A)

Solution:

Obviously i have to change the IP address D-link from (192.168.0.1) to (192.168.0.2) but before i did that i have change it from (192.168.0.1) to (192.168.1.2) to make sure it doesn’t connect to the internet as i would expect, surprisingly it did connect and i was able to brows using both of Netgear and D-link but i wasn’t abel to enter D-link settings.

Now i know i have two solution either i can change Netgeat IP address from 192.168.0.1) to (192.168.1.1) or to change Dlink IP address from (192.168.1.2) to (192.168.0.2) to match the gateway of Netgear. I think now it’s obvious how to setup Airlive. From this point all of 3 routers are working as one LAN and all IPs and MAC address are recorded in Netgear.

I would like to know how to do a separate network where the IPs and MAC address to rerecorded in the router that i am connected to only. However, i believe that would slow the packets processing when it reached Netgear D-link will process the packed agin then finally Airlive, whereas in LAN single LAN which i did in LAN (A and B) all the packed will be process when it reached Netgear only.

I would really like to hear your suggestions and ideas and please correct me if there is anything wrong.

I have bought Linksys router WAG320N using it to extend the wifi range with Airlive repeater (WN- 350R) i have successfully set up the two routers but i have two problems

1. when i login to my linksys router i can only see people who are connected to it but not for those who are connected to Airlive.

2. I get only half the speed when connected to Airlive, i know wifi is half duplex but what can i do about it?