Setting newer Samsung drives to SATA 1.5Gb/s

Hello.
I have recently bought a Samsung HD154UI HDD. I’ve got an older MSI KT6V mainboard with a VIA VT8237 southbridge. I’d like to connect the drive to this mainboard, but apparently this VIA chipset is one of the rare ones that has problems with SATA autonegotiation and don’t want to work with SATA 3Gb/s drives unless they’re set to work firmly as SATA 1.5Gb/s.
My drive is not detected by the mainboard at all. Googling for “samsung sata jumper” does give solutions, but none of them work with my particular drive (not to mention that the schematics show a drive with 4 pair of pins, and my only has 2). I have tried putting the jumper in all possible combinations, but I wasn’t able to get anywhere with this.

So, the question is : does anybody know how to set newer Samsung drives (or, this particular drive) to work as SATA 1.5Gb/s?

Thank you very much in advance,
D.K.

Hi,

to reconfigure newer Samsung Sata HDDs, you need a piece of software available from Samsung HDD support website. But there is a catch: you need to connect the HDD to a Sata controller that is supported (which is not the case with your Via southbridge).

That’s why I installed a WD HDD in my Via based desktop computer. This drive still could be configured with a jumper :smiley:

Michael

Hey there Michael,

Thanks for the blazingly fast reply. I assume you’re talking about the ESTOOL diagnostic software thingy that’s available on the website? In that case, I’ll just find someone with a more sane mainboard and try to work things from there. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot.
D.K.

Hi,[QUOTE=XAVeRY;2563773]
Thanks for the blazingly fast reply.[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I assume you’re talking about the ESTOOL diagnostic software thingy that’s available on the website?
I am not perfectly sure about that, so you may check if there is some description.

In that case, I’ll just find someone with a more sane mainboard and try to work things from there. :slight_smile:
Report back if you were successful :slight_smile:

Michael

Yes, everything worked perfectly. I’ve downloaded the newest version of ESTOOL from the Samsung website (3.01v at the time), ran the program with the disk connected to another mainboard (which supported SATA-II), and everything went with flying colours from there - the only thing needed was to choose “SET UDMA MODE” and then “SATA SPEED” to 150. Now I’ve got the HDD working with my weird VIA chipset. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the help,
D.K.

Excellent :slight_smile:
:clap:

Michael