Set Booktype to DVD-ROM?

vbimport

All along I have left this box unchecked and have not any any problems playing any of my burned DVDs on my stand-alone DVD player.

But today I decided to try an experiement and check the “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM” box. The reason was that I kept reading here and elsewhere that DVD-ROM booktype was recommended if burning to DVD+R or +RW media. Since I experimented with a DVD+RW I had nothing to lose.

Anyway, although the burn completed successfully, the DVD+RW would not play on my stand-alone DVD player. The DVD seemed to be recognized but never made it to the main menu screen. The player just reverted to the blue screen I get when there is no disc inserted. However, this disk did play from the DVD burner’s drive.

Any ideas why the DVD-ROM booktype setting resulted in an unplayable DVD on my DVD player?

Do these DVD R/Ws play in the stand alone without booktyping them?

Have you tried to bitset with anything other than Fab?
How did you verify the booktype?

Fab doesn’t fully support all drives capable of bitsetting?

Pop in the +RW disc presumed to have been booktyped to ROM and have nero cd-dvd speed take a look at the disc.
Is it, in fact, DVD-ROM?

Try changing the booktyype with nero cd-dvd speed or with Img and be certain to untick the Fab booktype function.
Does this RW disc play in the standalone?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2112223]Do these DVD R/Ws play in the stand alone without booktyping them?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Until yesterday’s experiment, the “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM” box was never checked and all my burned DVD+R and +RW (and DVD-R) media have played in my stand-alone DVD player without any problems.

The only difference I made yesterday was to check that box and the result was an unplayable DVD+RW on my stand-alone player. I then did the exact same procedure over again with the same DVD+RW but [B]unchecking that box[/B] and the burned DVD+RW played fine.

[B]So the only difference between an unplayable and playable DVD+RW was that DVD-ROM box being checked[/B].

The only reason I have raised the question here is because the result of my experiment was contrary to what others have said on these boards concerning DVD-ROM booktype and DVD+R media.

[QUOTE=maineman;2112333]Have you tried to bitset with anything other than Fab?
How did you verify the booktype?

Fab doesn’t fully support all drives capable of bitsetting?

Pop in the +RW disc presumed to have been booktyped to ROM and have nero cd-dvd speed take a look at the disc.
Is it, in fact, DVD-ROM?

Try changing the booktyype with nero cd-dvd speed or with Img and be certain to untick the Fab booktype function.
Does this RW disc play in the standalone?[/QUOTE]

Maineman:

Thanks for your suggestions but since this was only an experiment on my part I do not feel like going to go the trouble of installing other software like Nero or Img. I kept reading suggestions on these forums about booktyping to DVD-ROM when using +R/+RW media. So I thought I would try it to so see what happens. The result was an unplayable DVD+RW on my stand-alone player.

My question was why a setting that was supposed to make a DVD+RW more compatible actually made it unplayable on my DVD player?

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2112435]Maineman:

My question was why a setting that was supposed to make a DVD+RW more compatible actually made it unplayable on my DVD player?[/QUOTE]

Right, I got that.
I would venture a guess that the bitsetting utility in Fab, screwed up the process.
Recall the statement above,
"…Fab doesn’t fully support all drives capable of bitsetting…"
There also are firmwares that while they will support bitsetting with +R media, will not support bitsetting with +RW media.

Without additional info, this is all guesswork.
There is no doubt that bitsetting confers increased disc/player compatibility overall.

Hi Captain,

I don’t think bitsetting is a big issue when backing up dvd’s. As long as your dvd player plays + and - media there will be no problems. I have heard that it might be an advantage with older players, bit how many older players are still around. I purchased a Sony progressive scan player a few months ago for $39. Plays all kinds of media.

[QUOTE=rogman49;2112483]Hi Captain,

I don’t think bitsetting is a big issue when backing up dvd’s. As long as your dvd player plays + and - media there will be no problems. I have heard that it might be an advantage with older players, bit how many older players are still around. I purchased a Sony progressive scan player a few months ago for $39. Plays all kinds of media.[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. I just dug up the manual for my $70 Panasonic DVD player which I purchased in 2006. It supports all types of DVD+R/DVD-R media [B]but does not support DVD-ROM[/B].

[I]That is the reason why the DVD+RW did not play in the Panasonic when burned with the “Booktype to DVD-ROM” box checked[/I]. If I had an older DVD Player, then maybe I would have needed this option.

Everything is clear now. My LG DVD Burner supports practically everything and that is why that DVD+RW played fine in the LG but not my Panasonic.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2112501]You beat me to it. I just dug up the manual for my $70 Panasonic DVD player which I purchased in 2006. It supports all types of DVD+R/DVD-R media [B]but does not support DVD-ROM[/B].
[/QUOTE]

:eek:…a very interesting manual, since DVD-ROM is the format of commercially produced “studio” dvds…:bigsmile:

Hi Captain,

I agree with Maineman. If a dvd player plays anything it should play dvd-rom’s.

[QUOTE=rogman49;2112514]Hi Captain,

I agree with Maineman. If a dvd player plays anything it should play dvd-rom’s.[/QUOTE]

My Panasonic DVD player plays every commercial DVD I own plus every burned DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R SL, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW.

It did not play the DVD+RW with the booktype set to DVD-ROM and the manual specifically states that it does not play DVD-ROM. I am not technical enough to understand all this but that is what the manual says and that is what I experienced.

It did not play the DVD+RW with the booktype set to DVD-ROM and the manual specifically states that it does not play DVD-ROM. I am not technical enough to understand all this but that is what the manual says and that is what I experienced.

Are you sure it didn’t say does not play DVD RAM?

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2112501]Everything is clear now. My LG DVD Burner supports practically everything and that is why that DVD+RW played fine in the LG but not my Panasonic.[/QUOTE]

Have you tryed booktyping just a normal DVD+R disc and not a +RW disc.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2112560]My Panasonic DVD player plays every commercial DVD I own plus every burned DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R SL, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW.

It did not play the DVD+RW with the booktype set to DVD-ROM and the manual specifically states that it does not play DVD-ROM. I am not technical enough to understand all this but that is what the manual says and that is what I experienced.[/QUOTE]

That sure is weird Captain! Can you post model number?

I leave mine unchecked and have no problems with playback on any DVD player.

[QUOTE=soundping;2112576]I leave mine unchecked and have no problems with playback on any DVD player.[/QUOTE]

Some DVD players dont like the +R media so booktyping is sometimes needed unless you always use -R disc’s :cool:

[QUOTE=LBIGuy;2112565]Are you sure it didn’t say does not play DVD RAM?[/QUOTE]

My Panasonic DVD player plays DVD-RAM.

[QUOTE=soundping;2112576]I leave mine unchecked and have no problems with playback on any DVD player.[/QUOTE]

That is what I had been doing and all burned DVDs played on both my DVD players. This was just an experiment. I will continue to leave the box unchecked from now on.

please, i would like you to post certain information, if not to help you [because you have a solution to the problem, dont set booktype] then for our own curiosity. :smiley:

please post a burn log for review
My Documents\ DVDFab \Log

please post the model name and number of your stand alone dvd player which you are experiencing this particular behavior. :slight_smile:

thanks

troy

[QUOTE=troy512;2112844]please, i would like you to post certain information, if not to help you [because you have a solution to the problem, dont set booktype] then for our own curiosity. :smiley:

please post a burn log for review
My Documents\ DVDFab \Log

please post the model name and number of your stand alone dvd player which you are experiencing this particular behavior. :slight_smile:

thanks

troy[/QUOTE]

Troy:

Unfortunately, I cleaned out all my Temp folders so the burn log is no longer there.

My Panasonic DVD Player is the model S-29 which I purchased back in 2006. It plays everything I own or have burned including DVD+R DL.

There is a section in the manual listing the types of discs this player does not support and DVD-ROM was listed first. Maybe they are referring to Video Games like for the PS2. Are these DVD-ROMs?

Anyway, nothing is mentioned in the documentation for my LG DVD Burner about booktyping. Maybe checking that box caused some kind of conflict.

I am willing to close this thread since everything has worked fine using DVDFab (and other DVD burning software as well).

Thanks for everyone’s replies.