SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY big time desperate - narked laptop, shipped off for for fixing on Friday and need to copy data before then! HELP! :'(

Right, drink spilt on PC. Covered by insurance BUT the company don’t seem to have a clue about if the data will be backed up.

So… laptop boots for 5 minutes or so and blue screen dies every time. Therefore can’t copy any big files to my ext HDD which I just bought. Booting straight into Windows gives blue screen. I tried putting the HDD in a friend’s laptop and using the Windows XP CD to do a second Windows install on so that it’;s compatible with the laptop it but it crasehes every time it goes to load up the Windows install screen which shows which HDDs are available.

Bart PE also crashes. Ubuntu live CD DOES work but I’ve no idea how to access the drive as it’s NTFS.

So I’m desperate for ideas. I’ve looked for an NTFS-friendly OS on a USB and so far come up empty handed.

DESPERATE, LAPTOP BEING PICKED UP ON FRIDAY AND I CAN’T TRUST THEM TO COPY MY DATA! Please help guys!

Remove the drive and try it on another desktop computer as a slave?

It’s a laptop HDD.

No desktop to use anyway.

Put your HDD in an external case and use any computer to get your files off.

But it ships off Friday and I don’t have one! I’d have done that otherwise!

You have at least 48 hours till then go to a shop and get one.

I’ve recently moved to the outskirts of Bristol and have no idea where to go. I’m too far from the centre to just go to PC World or whatever. And the laptop I’m borrowing I only have for a short time too, so no 48 hour Window. Anyone know about bootable USB OSs that can read NTFS? They all seem to be Linux

I usually always just order stuff online!

[QUOTE=SG;2222153]Anyone know about bootable USB OSs that can read NTFS? They all seem to be Linux[/QUOTE]

Linux can read NTFS.

I do not have any problem to read NTFS formatted partitions with recent Linux Live systems (tried: Ubuntu 8.10, Knoppix 5.3, Puppy 4.1.2).
With Ubuntu, you might have to mount the partitions manually (I am not exactly sure about that). This is done easily within the file manager provided.

Michael

OK, can you please tell me which USB bootable Linux will do that? I have no way of burning discs at the moment so I’m restricted to USB. I had an old Ubuntu Live CD and that couldn’t do it. Tried mounting, failed.

Is there anything that will just read by default?

[QUOTE=SG;2222164]OK, can you please tell me which USB bootable Linux will do that?[/QUOTE]Puppy Linux. I made my bootable Puppy USB stick from the Live CD: http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm
Or check http://distrowatch.com/ they have a nice search engine.
Another option (no personal experience): http://www.flashlinux.org.uk/

You must have a very old Ubuntu distro. Normally when Ubuntu is running, just go to Places and it will list your drives, just click on your hard drive, it will auto mount, and you should be able to copy your folders. The problem with making a bootable flash drive is you would have to have the distro running, which means it would have to be burnt and booted from a CD first.

Right, well Linux Mint can’t mount either.

Puppy Linux needs to burned first (great!).

HELP!

[QUOTE=SG;2222184]Puppy Linux needs to burned first (great!).[/QUOTE]this seems to be quite normal.

You may ask the company who shall fix your computer, if you can keep the HDD for privacy reasons.

Maybe the drive controller got damaged? If you can’t mount the drive at all then you’re pretty much out of luck. It will have to be removed and installed in something else. You said you tried it in a different laptop and it didn’t work? Serious problem.

Yeah but it works in mine for a short while - weird.

mciahel I can’t keep the HDD as it does appear somewhat damaged. But I reckon not so much that data is unrecoverable, as it works in my own machine.

Something that often helps if the controller is bad on 3.5" disks is to find a disk that is the [I]exact[/I] same model and swap the controller boards, which is usually quite simple (just remember to use an antistat kit). I suspect this should be possible on 2.5" drives as well. Obviously, this is likely to cause problems with the warranty.

[QUOTE=SG;2222198]mciahel I can’t keep the HDD as it does appear somewhat damaged.[/quote]if the data is of any value, then I wouldn’t mind buying a brand new one out of my own pocket.

But I reckon not so much that data is unrecoverable, as it works in my own machine.

Then try to get to a computer with working internet connection and a CD burner, download Puppy, burn and install it to an USB stick. ASAP, since the HDD may die when you try it next time.