Serious "Rebooting" Error

“The system has recovered from a serious error.” (displays after the computer automatically reboots).

Error Signature
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : F70F3BCC BCP3 : F5DA91EC
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121804-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MATTHEW\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERB.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

What could it all mean? It occurs most often when I am using an DVD-related software, so I suppose it may possibly be something malfunctioning with my new external harddrive and/or DVD burner. I have also recently installed another memory stick, but the errors were occuring before that was installed.

Any ideas?

update windows, update drivers.

kai, that error really really really really sucks. everything on my computer is updated. and it still happens to me. not as often as before. i’ve done many yahoo/google searches on that. so many topics, very little solutions. some people say it’s drivers, some say it’s defective hardware. i dunno. i just make sure i keep saving my work just in case. good luck, let me know if you find a solution!

Run Memtest86 for at least 8 hrs or 12 passes to check your RAM.

A little more info on the box would be helpful, but following rdgrimes suggestion is a great place to start!

well try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307973
it means playing with the system settings a bit
seems very complex but hope it helps

And what does this do for him?

• Write an event to the System log.
• Alert administrators (if you have set up administrative alerts).
• Put system memory in a file that advanced users can use for debugging.
• Automatically restart the computer.

thats what i got from microsoft when i searched for the error and well its worth a try

No problem, but the point is creating a dump file that most ms techs don’t even understand is hardly something that end users can take advantage of. :wink: :wink:

yeah i understand where your comming from
i just read itmyself and i don’t see the point in microsoft having it there they should have a easy to digest version but thats microsoft making things more complex than they need to be