Serious Prodisc and Taiyo Yuden R- problems

vbimport

ugg, ok just got this drive immediately flashed to G7P9. So far burned Mitsubishi(badged as Prodisc 8x from supermedia store) Nero said it could go at 12, i hit burn it failed, I burned one at 8x and it was fine

than while doing some PI scans on prior to 1620 burns, that were on Prodisc S04 8x I noticed that there was no media code present. I tired a few other S04’s same thing, then i went to burn one of these s04’s and the drive didn’t even recognize anything in the drive, it acted as if nothing was there.
So then I grabbed a S03(4x) spindle and popped one in, the drive saw it and its media id, then i popped back in the s04 same as before, than back in the s03 and then it didn’t F*#*#*ing see that even though it did before, to make sure i opened it and closed several times to the same result. I have burned almost only prodisc R- S03 and S04 on my LG4082, never any problems

ugg, ok just got this drive immediately flashed to G7P9. So far burned Mitsubishi(badged as Prodisc 8x from supermedia store) nero said it could go at 12, i hit burn it failed, I burned one at 8x and it was fine

than while doing some PI scans on prior to 1620 burns, that were on Prodisc S04 8x I noticed that there was no media code present. I tired a few other S04’s same thing, then i went to burn one of these s04’s and the drive didnt even recognize anything in the drive, it acted as if nothing was there.
So then I grabbed a S03(4x) spindle and popped one in, the drive saw it and its media id, then i popped back in the s04 same as before, than back in the s03 and then it didn’t F*#*#*ing see that even though it did before, to make sure i opened it and closed deveral times to the same result. I have burned almost only prodisc R- S03 and S04 on my LG4082, never any problems

oh another one to add to the list, now i am shocked and a little nervous

My Taiyo Yuden TYG02 8x R- are not being recognized either. actually, same exact situation as the Prodisc S04, lets forget about the S03 for now.

I feel very wary of posting this, I don’t want to scare off anyone from what is a great drive. Mine might be DOA, it could be the new P firmware.

on another note its great PI scanning, even its my first experience doing it, and for that matter I got a great score on the Prodisc S04

help :bow:

(and for anyone who is ready to quick reply "you idiot, you knew this was a + burner, save your stupidity, I asked before i bought, mainly because I had a huge stash of R-. 300 S04, 60 TY, 75 MCC)

clearly from the amount of replies this problem is isolated to me.

I rushed to buy this, and I rushed to flash it, which is uncharacterisitic of me, but I had to rush. I should have checked to see it was media compatible. Im being hard on myself, I asked if Taiyo and Prodisc R- was compatible and I got a yes response

I tried to find out if there was anything wrong with the stock firmware, didnt get a concise answer, I was recomended to get the G7P9 firmware and so thats what i did,

anyways. Im contemplating formatiing and reinstalling my OS tonight. it has some other screwy problems anyways.
I will probably also try other firmwares and see if anything changes.

But most likely I see myself sending this back, although hard to beleive I got my first DOA computer part, I always thought that people who claimed their product came broken did something wrong themselves

also is phillips the only retail version.

I cant seem to find a BenQ retail badged drive. when I google they are all in germany :confused:

I/O MAGIC is a rebadged BENQ 1620 which is on sale at COMPUSA for $59.99 after rebates.

http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=314999&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 250 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

just found retail benq 1620 on my old ordering sight zipzoomfly.com AKA googlegear

for 87$ do you think it is worth it?

If you shall be burning primarily -R media, then perhaps you would be better pleased by the NEC product?

charm,
Did you resolve the problem with the S03 & S04 not being recognized? I am having the same problem. I have an internal and external drive. The internal cannot recognize blank ProdiscS03. I’m sure I burned one on it when it first came. The external works just fine and recognizes blank and burned ProdiscS03’s. I have tries f/w B7P9, B7S9, B7M9 & 47P9. I have moved the position of the drive to Master & slave. Changed the IDE cable, moved it to another ide controller. Always the same results. Has this drive gone bad? Any advice? ( the internal Benq will recognize the S03’s I burn on my NEC2500, but not Blanks!) …Help!