Serious problems with a plextor 708a

vbimport

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the cdfreaks community, but with my registration to this awesome forum also comes a tricky question.

I’ve got a plextor 708a DVDRW…it works flawlessly, however, i recently ran into a ton of trouble when i went to format my HD and do a fresh installation of XP pro. When i put the installtion disk in and restarted…the installation menu for XP did not come up, but i could hear the drive churning.

Please note that i have set the bios so that it boots from the cd drive.

Everything works fine in windows, but the drive will not autorun the installation disk…and it’s beginning to drive me crazy.

When i installed the plextor drive, i replaced a Lite-On DVD-ROM drive…when i formatted windows before, the lite-on seemed to have no trouble finding and running the disk during boot.

If anyone could throw a suggestion my way, i would be more than grateful.

Thanks in advance

K1ra

Welcome K1ra

There might be other answers, but I think you better download boot discs and start the installation from there, if you formated the HDD newly.

:wink:

BTW, crossposting is against the forum rules.

I will move this thread to our Plextor Forum. Which firmware are you using K1ra?

This may be a case where your Lite-On DVD-ROM did a better job than the Plextor PX-708A in reading what is possibly a Windows installation disk of marginal quality. Just because the disc is an authentic Microsoft Windows installation CD-ROM doesn’t mean pristine quality is guaranteed.

From what I have heard, Lite-On drives are good in disc reading, to be compatible with marginal/poor quality CD/DVD pressed media (movies, etc.) produced by certain Asian factories. The Plextor PX-708A is a good CD/DVD writer, but may be relatively less tolerant when reading marginal quality media.

The latest 1.07 firmware for PX-708A is worth a try, though the improvements may be in writing, not reading.