Serious problem with my New LTR-40125W

vbimport

Hi guys. I bought the drive yesterday LTR-40125W Firware:WS01.

The drive was able to burn three discs successfully after that it wouldn’t even read or write to a disc not even read the software installation disc that came with it. I tried loading the cd in my pioneer DVD-ROM that worked like normal. I checked the info in device manager and the drive was still listed there and reported to be working properly.

I have idea no idea what could be wrong with the drive and would like any suggestions on what I could do.

Is there a firmware update for this drive as I haven't seen it listed on the liteon site, all they have is a update for the 40125S drive not the 40125W. Also can anyone tell me the difference between the drives.

Thanks,

Manny.

You’d better use the Search function, or Da_Taxman will pounce!

Are you running windows XP? If not: try the drive in another computer and see if it works there.

The W version is shipped with P-CAV write technology while the S version is shipped with Z-CLV write technology.

P-CAV is better and faster than Z-CLV.

better and faster or just faster annd therefore better?

In theory also better since it do not switch off the laser during writing. And it do not need to speed up and down(it have a constant rotation speed). which may also cause better write quality.

Well, I don’t think so.
CAV writing is an extremely difficult process, as you have to constantly adjust the writing strategy to the changing speed. It’s also much harder to get low jitter.
On the other hand Z-CLV is already working for quite some time and very well developed.
The usage of the buffer underun prevention system at zone changes is not that much of a headache, considering that most current technologies produce a link area of about one micron or less.
It’s probably even hard to notice an increase in C11 errors at that position.
So I don’t think CAV will give you better writing quality. If you do very well it may give the same (good) quality of Z-CLV drives. It is, however, much faster (and cooler, too). :slight_smile:

Originally posted by drezon
It’s also much harder to get low jitter.
Why?

Jitter is the deviation of pit length from the optimum. (So in extreme cases a 3T pit may be recognized as a 4T, e.g).
Because the linear velocity is constantly changing, so is the length of the pits (in terms of time).
You have to somehow measure the current linear velocity very precisely (or calculate from rotation speed [which is also not absolutely constant] and position), in order to acurately write correct length pits.
This is quite difficult to do (but maybe no more difficult than on Z-CLV drives where you have to do similar measurements in order to hold the linear velocity constant).
The actual pit length also has to do with laser power (ie. writing strategy), which has to change constantly. I think you will not get a perfect writing strategy with a CAV drive.

But anyway, I can see no reason why CAV should give you better writing quality. The best you can do is give you the same writing quality of current Z-CLV drives.

CAV writing is an extremely difficult process, as you have to constantly adjust the writing strategy to the changing speed. It’s also much harder to get low jitter.

So it will decrease quality if an idiot tries to implement it.

Look at www.cdrinfo.com, the 40x P-CAV produces much better quality than the Z-CLV-Version (at least with Taiyo Yuden at 40x-speed). Probably the lower rotation speed makes recording much easier.

On the other hand Z-CLV is already working for quite some time and very well developed

P-CAV exists longer than Z-CLV. The first P-CAV-Writer was Yamaha 16x, which was the first 16x-writer at all (I know that its writing quality was not too good, but P-CAV is still the older one).

[B]CAV writing is an extremely difficult process, as you have to constantly adjust the writing strategy to the changing speed. It’s also much harder to get low jitter.

So it will decrease quality if an idiot tries to implement it.[/B]

My point was not neccesarily about decreasing quality, but about increasing (or lack thereof).

Look at www.cdrinfo.com, the 40x P-CAV produces much better quality than the Z-CLV-Version (at least with Taiyo Yuden at 40x-speed). Probably the lower rotation speed makes recording much easier.

Well, you can also see the high C2 error rate with Imation media. Granted, that’s not the best media on earth, but anyway LiteOn drives never produced C2 errors in any of cdrinfo’s test (extreme cases, like writing 16x certified @40x left aside).
Also 0.2 avg for Taiyo Yuden is pretty standard for LiteOn drives (take a look at the other drives tested).
Still I have to admit that I’m quite impressed of the LiteOns performance.

> Well, you can also see the high C2 error rate with Imation media

I don’t see a real problem, since this firmware is not officially released. I’m sure LiteOn will try to fix that (or to inhibit burning such shit at 40x).

> Also 0.2 avg for Taiyo Yuden is pretty standard for LiteOn drives

Not at 40x Z-CLV speed. There it produced around 1.7
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=40x+CD-RW+Roundup+Vol1&Series=0&index=10

I still think the problem is the high angular velocity at the point where it switches to 40x).

If You have the LTR-40125W , Could You perhaps read out the Firware (WS01 as you said) so we could try to update our LTR-40125S?

THNX

In case you want to do a backup of the firmware, here is instructions on how to do it:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42865