Serious laptop problem - any kind of physical interaction causes hardware failure! :'(

vbimport

My laptop has been playing up recently; it got to the point after it froze for the umpteenth time that I punched the keyboard. Yes I know, not clever.

However, now is is SO sensitive that the slightest movement causes it to freeze up, and I get not a blue screen of death, but lots of vertical lines - varying in pixel width and colour completely covering the screen.

If I push a key too hard, it happens, if I lift it REALLY GENTLY, literally half the time it happens. Or just tap it somewhere with my finger. I currently have it on a flat surface and am having to use a USB keyboard to type.

Does someone know what the problem could be and would I be able to fix it by opening it up (I’m an amateur-novice with PCs, better with desktops), or will I have to take it somewhere to get it fixed?

Replies appreciated - hopefully I’ll be able to fix it myself and learn something in the process, which would be handy as I want to enter education/a career in computing after failing my 2nd year of philosophy at uni.

If it’s relevant, it’s a cheapy HiGrade model, not sure of the model number as I’ll have to lift it to look which will make it freeze but I’ll make a note next time I switch it off in case it is important., but I’m guessing that it’s irrelevant as it’s something that could happen to any lappy.

This started after you punch the keyboard I presume. Most laptops sell the keyboard assembly separate. You probably destroyed the whole laptop though, in all honesty. It was probably a software related issue, but is definitely hardware now, adding to the software problem = new laptop time. IMHO.

Thanks,no it happened before I hit it, now just moreso. I’m thinking there was a hardware issue that I further damaged, like a loose component or something.

Could be the screen connector, but it does sound like you just made it worse!

The sound goes too though.

Yeah, whatever problem it was, you just made it worse by punching it…if it was me, I would just try and get a new one…

There’s no way I can afford a new one - I seriously want to upgrade down the line and sell this one to contribute towards it… Is there no advice about what to look for if I open it up?

Failing that, could a PC shop not repair it?

[QUOTE=SG;2561326]Failing that, could a PC shop not repair it?[/QUOTE]Let a laptop repair shop have a look at. Be prepared to spend lots of local currency units for the repair.

Michael

This is why I’m hoping that someone here may have an idea what to look for so I can take a look myself first.

Just went to move it and screen flickered between the lines and the film I was watching before going completely into lines. Screen connector problem?

Before you give up, why not open it up and look at it. Have a solder iron ready. The ribbon connector to the LCD screen could be cracked, that is not uncommon, especially if it is opened and closed a lot. I would look at it in a "modular way. Remove it but if you have a digital camera, take pictures first at each step. You would be surprised how often one can forget how something goes back together. Look also where the connectors connect by looking on the opposite side of the board to see if the solders are still good. Look for signs of movement by gently ,(emphasis here) , moving the header pins. If in doubt about the connector, solder it. Be careful not to connect (bridge) connections when you solder. You would be surprised to learn how many problems are due to heat compromising the solders on pcb boards. It is one of the major cause of emission failures on automobiles. Since lead is no longer allowed in the solder, the connections to no hold up to temperature ranges like before.

If really helps if you have a 10X eyepiece, or loop, when doing this. It is nearly impossible to do it with the naked eye. I am one of the only persons I know who fixes electronics down to component level. Most of the advice on these forums is to basically give it up, and 90% of the time, that is probably what you should do. A lot of experience can be gained by tinkering. I have 3 LCD projectors that were tossed and took me about 20 to 45 minutes to fix a piece because of simply problems.

Why not take it apart and try to fix it? You could always plug in a USB keyboard if the keyboard assembly is shot. You should be able to plug in a regular monitor too (if there is a port in back, most have one). It may help in diagnosing the problem.

I have a Dell D600 Notebook that did exactly the same thing.
(Not “my” computer)

I never spent much time trying to figuire out what was wrong with it becuase I came into possession of a very similar Dell 600M Notebook with a different problem and wound up using the D600 as an “organ donor” to fix the 600m.

Much later I completely disassembled it and discovered that the keyboard backpanel was
bent (probably from someone punching it) and that the motherboard itself was cracked.

But this one had stopped being “intermittent” before it came onto my workbench and was full time vertical bars, though key entries could cause the bars to change, but it was full time colored vertical bars even when connected to an external monitor…

because the keyboard from the computer I had was later used in another notebook as was the LCD screen/cable assembly.

Frankly I think you killed it.

But connecting it to an external monitor will tell you if it’s a display cable problem or not…

AD

Hello guys, sorry for being away a while. I’m going for the diagnosis of cracked mobo. It’s got accidental insurance cover so I’ve copied all files off it and am sending it away. I figure the £100 excess is worth it to fix it, especially as the optical drive is playing up too.

Funnily enough a friend has shown interest in this lappy when it’s fixed and I want to get a better one, so see if you can help me out here: http://club.myce.com/f7/selling-my-laptop-how-much-worth-318328/#post2563618

Thanks again everyone! <3<3<3