Serious error in XP with DVD Shrink

vbimport

About 3% into encoding phase my comp restarts, runs a scandisk, and dumps the physical memory.

I have a somewhat unique setup:
800 Athlon
Asus K7v
2 hard drives: 1 with Win98, 1 with XP
Switch to separate the two systems
512 Mb ram
The xp system is fairley bare (only burning and ripping programs to help speed up the process)
NEC 3520a with stock firmware, dee’s 1u8, 1.26, doesn’t seem to matter what I use.

The problem started in XP about 10 movies after flashing to dee’s firmware. Thought it might have something to do with that so I flashed back. Service pack 2 was the only other program running (csrss.exe) at the time of the crash.

I switched over to the other drive and tried using win98 and have the same results.

Seem to have exhausted all possibilities except for a bad mem stick or some kind of hardware problem because it happens on both systems which are isolated from eachother.

If someone has any ideas, please help. Sorry if I forgot any important details, I’m new to the forum.
If needed, I wrote down the error message.
Thanks

Unless your computer has a video hardware encoding solution, the work will be done entirely using the CPU. Encoding video uses 100% of available CPU resources so the processor will be heavily stressed and run hotter as a result. Any hardware instability can cause the PC to crash or reset.

Possible causes can be:

• power supply not up to the job*; have a look at the rating on the power supply
  • CPU overheating because of dust build-up on the heatsink or clogging the CPU fan; when was the last time you cleaned out your PC?
  • the bearing on the CPU fan has worn to the state it’s not cooling the CPU properly
  • the rated output is not always a good indication of power availability because more expensive lower rated power supplies are often much better than cheaper higher rated ones.

Regards

TigerZai

Yup, power, bad RAM stick, heat/dust/crap, failing HDD; bare-bone your PC and use sensitivity analysis - one thing at a time :wink: L:et us know how you go

Thanks for the response.

The more I think about it, I’m leaning towards memory. I built my pc when pc133 was new… I know, time to build again. Anyway, my cousins computer crashed and I had it sitting under my pool table. About three months ago I took the memory stick out of it and put it in mine when I was replacing the cpu fan. Didn’t pay too much attention to the pc100 on the comcrap stick because it fit on my mobo. When I get home from work in the morning I am gonna pull that stick out and see what happens.
I’ll let you know.

Thanks again.
Joe

Yep. It was the memory stick. Or we could call it operator error. Thanks a bunch for the assistance.

You’re welcome

Yeah, so I thought that was it. Later on that night the computer shut down and I opened it up. The processor was too hot to touch. I restarted and the cpu fan that I just put in about a week ago was only running at 1000 rpm. I put the old fan (was making noise like the bearing was going) back in till I can get another and things seemed to work. Then it seemed that if I check the extra compression setting, it froze up. Now I am only doing deep analysis and it’s working. I think the computer is getting too old to be pushed to the max like this. Still time to build a new one. Thinking AMD64 3000+ oc’d to 2.5ish. Any suggestions on the mobo?
Thanks again for the help.

Oh yeah, I also did a memory test with Norton on my 98 side and the original 128 from when I built the computer failed the test. Took it out and the 256 that I bought 2 years ago passed. So now I’m left with only 256 mb of ram. Will this have a negative effect on the backup process?

If you’re looking for an AMD MoBo, I’d stick with Asus. I tried an MSI board (2 actually) when I first started building my system, and it was totally unstable. When I switched to the Asus K8N-E Deluxe, it worked immediately with no troubles and is still going strong. My board uses the 754-pin Athlon 64 chips, and is just fine. I think that if I were to build one today, though, I’d go with a 939-pin board.