Serious DVD burning problems

vbimport

hello, Im new here

Ok so, heres my problem.

Up until about a month ago, I was having no problems burning dvd-videos with my internal drive, and using nero 7, with pretty much any type of media (I used verbatim, memorex, philips brands of DVD-R) and wasnt having very many bad burns, if any at all.

But within this last month, my burner refuses to work as well as it has been. It started producing many bad burns, that when I play them on ANY dvd player, or even my PCs dvd drive, theyd glitch, and freeze up alot.

Id still occasionally get a good burn, so I assumed from reading about it online, that I was using bad media discs, so I went back to my expensive brand that I trust, the verbatim 16x DVD-R with AZO technology, and the problem persisted.

So then I tried a few other things, I defragmented my hard drive, even lowered burn speed to 8x, and to 4x, closed unneeded programs, didnt multi-client, disabled screensaver and set PC to “Always On” so it wont hibernate or go into power save mode, and was still having the same problem with my dvd burner.

So then I thought, ok, maybe for some weird reason, nero is acting up, so I installed IMGburn, and DVD flick.

These softwares seemed to be a better software for burning dvd-videos than nero was, but I was still producing alot of ‘coasters’ even with verbatim discs, writing at 8x and 4x…

Lastly I thought, ok if none of these methods Ive done has fixed the problem, my burner must be on its way out the door, and I ordered an external burner.

But low and behold, Im having the same problems with it.
Fisrt off, it seems to reject the verbatim brand of discs completely, but accepts the philips brand.
I managed to make 1 good dvd out of 4 burns.

I requested firmware from the original publisher of the drive, and they sent it to me, however when I try to use it, I get an error saying the firmware is only for the brand listed, but, the model they list is the same as the model I have…

Here is a screenshot, of my Nero DriveSpeed info, it says what drive it is, and what firmware it is, and right next to it, is the error message I recieve when attempting to run the .exe for the firmware.
http://img6.imageshack.us/f/firmwareerror.jpg/

Im now at a complete loss as to why suddenly, my PC cannot seem to burn dvd-video anymore, regardless of disc brand, software used, or even the burner used.

Im even at a loss as to what kind of information I can post on here to better help any kind soul willing to help me on this, to make the process of detecting the problem, easier.

Ill be keeping an eye on this topic to see if anyone has some suggestions on whats wrong, or even better methods of troubleshooting it.

Thanks, in advance…

[QUOTE=iMelon;2584297]Up until about a month ago, I was having no problems burning dvd-videos with my internal drive

But within this last month, my burner refuses to work as well as it has been.[/QUOTE]

What has changed in your system since that month? Did you install some game or some tool or something else that might have contaminated your operating system?

How would I go about seeing if something I installed corrupted my OS?

To answer your question, I believe I did try out a few new MMORPG’s around the same time the problem initially occured, with my internal burner.
I also at one point, had to use a program called pando media booster, to get a few of the MMORPG clients.

EDIT: I got to thinking it might be worth mentioning, that Ive also used a couple MMORPG’s utilizing the gameguard program, and have experienced conflicts with it before, I dont think my comodo firewall and antivirus likes it, regardless if I add it to safe list.
Ive never had it effect my dvd burning process, only my firewall/antivirus, so just maybe, is it possible gameguard can cause conflicts with the dvd burning process? or damage the OS like you said in some way?

How would I go about determining if any of this is the cause? let alone fix it?

Thanks.

Yo-

You are going to have to tell us more about your system - i.e. os; cpu; psu; burner type and model number; disc quality test results and any other things that may help the members help you-eh.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2584314]Yo-

You are going to have to tell us more about your system - i.e. os; cpu; psu; burner type and model number; disc quality test results and any other things that may help the members help you-eh.[/QUOTE]

sorry to sound like such a noob, but is there some kind of program that will retrieve this info to some kind of log I can upload?

how would you recommend I do this?

Yo-

Don’t know what’s under the hood-eh.

A program like PC Wizard (free) will give ya a ton of info-eh

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2584323]Yo-

Don’t know what’s under the hood-eh.

A program like PC Wizard (free) will give ya a ton of info-eh[/QUOTE]

Okay, lemme see what info I can dig up for you guys…

Operating system: Windows XP Professional: Service Pack 3

CPU: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

RAM: 2GB DDR2

Internal DVD drive: Memorex DVD±RAM 525G v1 (Firmware: G.01)

External DVD drive: Memorex DVD±RAM 530L v1 (Firmware: QM62)
(attempt to update to most recent firmware for this drive that I got directly from the memorex customer support people resulted in the error shown in the image uploaded in first post)

PSU: [SIZE=3]Alls I know about the PSU is on the side, it says “375W max”

Should I use Nero to do a quality scan? and do I scan the blank media, or discs I already burned media on?

Or any other info you’d like to know or would be useful just let me know and Id be happy to find out.
[/SIZE]

Yo-

My guess is that your problems are several-

Probably could use a newer burner - Memorex stuff has never been known for its high quality - look at Optiarc, Samsung or Pioneer.

Your power supply at 375 watts is marginal at best - would recomment 500 watt minimum.

Use good media - try the Verbatim +R 16x and burn at 8x max.

Run a good antispyware/malware program like SuperAntiSpyware (free) along with your frequently updated Antivirus program - suggest Microsoft Security Essentials (free)

To add to bigmike7’s suggestion run a complete system scan with your antivirus program.
I like Malwarebytes for antispyware so get & run a complete system scan with it.
I don’t know anything about gameguard but uninstalling anything these MMORPG’s installed would be a good step.

For more information to post here that will be helpful . Download ImgBurn if you don’t already have it. Burn a Verbatim with it . I suggest the older internal burner for the first burn . Then post the ImgBurn log . You will find it in the Help pulldown. Click ImgBurn logs & this will take you to the folder with the logs. Just copy the text & paste it in your post.

hello, I just wanted to come back to report on my trial and error I had today.

I went ahead and burned using the internal burner like cholla suggested.
well I burned 3 discs today, all on the verbatim discs, burning with IMG burn on 8x speed.

Id like to say I have a log to show you but none of the 3 discs turned out being bad copies.

Im not saying I think my problem is fixed but it could be. As stated before, it can still produce a good burn, here and there, so I intend trying more tomorrow.

A few things Id like to mention that Ive done since then was, I went ahead and full system scanned with my antivirus with no issues, and then ran superantispyware full scan and it discovered a Trojan.
Can a trojan interfere with a dvd burning process…?

Im usually very good about keeping my antivirus and superantispyware up to date and regularly scan my PC, so Im not even 100% sure if this virus has anything to do with this.

Like I said Ill have more trial and error tomorrow, and see my success rate on the burns and report back here.

Another thing that I did was went ahead and removed pando media booster from my pc (the software that I downloaded MMORPG clients through) as I seen no need to have it any longer, anyways. Could this software have been a factor also?

@bigmike7: about the PSU, this PC has been burning dvds flawlessly for a year and a half now even on 16x speeds, with nero software. But I guess it could get old and cause a factor, Im not sure but Im not real suspicious the PSU is to blame…
if my issues cannot be solved in the end, a new burner type is probably the route Ill take, even tho sadly I did that and got 1 that doesnt agree with verbatim discs…

Lastly one thing I found quite odd is, the 2nd disc I burned today passed the verification and burn process in IMG burn both, plays fine on my dvd player standalone, but the menu of the disc is sorta blocky and distorted, on my standalone, and PC drive both.
The disc still manages to pass the nero benchmark test, and the nero disc quality test, but the disc, when I try to use nero scan disc on it, causes the nero scan disc program to crash every time.
But like I said other than that, this disc plays fine and passes all other inspections. Any ideas on that?

thanks in advance

On the blocky & distorted menu . How does it look on the Source ? Either the disc or file.

Unless it is a false positive any Trojan is not something you want .
It is possible the pando media booster caused some of the problems . Some software conflicts with other software .It’s hard to say for sure but if you’re don’t need it you better off without it.
I suggest you try your nero 7 & see how it does on a burn.

[QUOTE=cholla;2584454]On the blocky & distorted menu . How does it look on the Source ? Either the disc or file.

Unless it is a false positive any Trojan is not something you want .
It is possible the pando media booster caused some of the problems . Some software conflicts with other software .It’s hard to say for sure but if you’re don’t need it you better off without it.
I suggest you try your nero 7 & see how it does on a burn.[/QUOTE]

yea about the trojan it quite possibly coulda been a false positive, super antispyware reported it as a trojan, my antivirus (comodo internet security premium) reports it as heur suspicious file, but I dunno for sure.

sorry Im not quite sure what you mean by the ‘source’, do you mean like, the original menu or something? If thats the case its just a created menu from DVD flick called plasma sphere, this is the only disc I seen do this with this menu. If you mean the video_ts folder img burn created, guess its too late to check because i deleted those folders already…

as for trying to burn on nero Ill go ahead and try that next and report back here on it.
one question though, Is it possible to do an auto verify on the dvd after I burn it in nero? I know theres the same option in verifying data dvds you burn, but Im not sure if there is when you burn a dvd-video.

thanks

The Source would be the original such as a commercial DVD with a movie on it.
I usually use Mosaic with DVDFlick.
I have Nero 9 & it has a verify that can be “checked” for a DVD-video.
I don’t use Nero much.
The only reason I suggested a burn with Nero is you were having a problem with it .
A burn should show if getting rid of the trojan or removing pando fixed the problem with Nero.
I usually burn with CloneDVD2 or ImgBurn.

Yo-

Regarding the psu - burners are real wattage hogs - and if you just happen to have the burner on the same rail as another burner, video card or other 12 volt componant needingto be connected - then you can easily overload the rail and effect the performance of the componants attached - again a 500 watt plus psu is preferable - and a single rail quality psu cannot be beat for overall performance-eh.

[QUOTE=cholla;2584566]The Source would be the original such as a commercial DVD with a movie on it.
I usually use Mosaic with DVDFlick.
I have Nero 9 & it has a verify that can be “checked” for a DVD-video.
I don’t use Nero much.
The only reason I suggested a burn with Nero is you were having a problem with it .
A burn should show if getting rid of the trojan or removing pando fixed the problem with Nero.
I usually burn with CloneDVD2 or ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]

ok yea, its probably too late to check the original source’s menu, since it was just some avi’s built with DVD flick and not coming from another disc, and I already deleted the _TS folders…
on that menu I can see the title name clearly, and if I click ‘chapters’ I can also see the names of the files, and the sample image of it fine also. just the menu background itself is damaged. any idea if that can stem from a bad burn?
no matter anyways, Ill test out some verbatim media tomorrow, burning on 8x on nero as you suggested. I hope it has a verify disc feature on it and I can find it haha

@bigmike7: thanks thats useful information to know. Ill see what I can do about getting my PC on its own outlet, in a surge protector preferrably.

thanks guys for all your help and patience so far.

@bigmike7 & @cholla, ive done everything in the posts ive been reading and so far nothings worked for me…Here’s my problem, i make movie’s with windows movie maker, add music to go with the picture’s i selected. I then save it to my laptop, in dvd format. Plays well on laptop, but when i burn it to dvd with dvd flick, the sound is horrible. I read that i need a dual core processor to burn movie’s with good quality. Please help…

The problem is not the CPU speed.
Perhaps there is some lossy conversion involved causing poor audio quality.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2634584]The problem is not the CPU speed.
Perhaps there is some lossy conversion involved causing poor audio quality.

Michael[/QUOTE]
So can you please help and point in the direction to solve this problem?? ive tryed so many different burners and dvd flick seems to be the easiest just the sound sucks, could it be my cd/dvd burner??? PLEASE HELP

[QUOTE=SpoiledBarbz;2634589]So can you please help and point in the direction to solve this problem?? ive tryed so many different burners and dvd flick seems to be the easiest just the sound sucks, could it be my cd/dvd burner??? PLEASE HELP[/QUOTE]

How many other threads will you flood with your “PLEASE HELP” ???

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=chef;2634734]How many other threads will you flood with your “PLEASE HELP” ???

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE] Im sorry if offended you in anyway, i thought thissite was for getting others to HELP out with computer problems…didnt mean to make anyone uncomfortable, was and am really trying to get my stuff too work. But if my asking for HELP bothers you that much ill remove myself from this site…Thanks for nothing…:a