Serial ATA Drives

Hi All----I got 2x HDD SATA2. one 80GB n one 500GB…
Just looked at my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers-
My Primary + Secondary controllers are telling me this—
Serial ATA Generation 1 - 1.5G
Does that mean that they be running as SATA1.
How do I change them to SATA2 in the Bios, and must I change something at rear of Drives…
THANKS.

[QUOTE=MrScary;1926198]Hi All----I got 2x HDD SATA2. one 80GB n one 500GB…
Just looked at my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers-
My Primary + Secondary controllers are telling me this—
Serial ATA Generation 1 - 1.5G
Does that mean that they be running as SATA1.
How do I change them to SATA2 in the Bios, and must I change something at rear of Drives…
THANKS.[/QUOTE]

Check the specs on your sata controller, does it support SATA2.

If it does, then there might be a DOS utility thats needed to make your new HDD run in SATA2 mode.

Now I don’t quite understand what you mean—Sorry.
How do you check this on the SATA controller ?
In the Primary n secondary there only be "Serial ATA Generation 1 - 1.5G"
Does that mean I gota take out my HDDs and change it at the rear. ?
This SATA is New to me…So use to PATA that’s the prob.
Thanks.

If your talking about sata on your motherboard, then you just have to check the specifications for the motherboard and see whether it lists sata1 or sata2. Older motherboards that have onboard sata will only run at sata1 speeds, but should be compatible with sata2 (might be your case).

What motherboard do you have and what brand and model HDD’s do you have?

Some Hitachi drives require that you use their utility to set the sata mode. Other HDD’s might have a jumper in the back of the drive to set the mode.

To be honest I doubt you’ll see any performance difference at all either way.
//Danne

The difference is the maximum transfer speed of the connection. SATA 3.0 is rated at a maximum of 3.0/Gbps, while SATA 150 is rated at a maximum of 1.5/Gbps. Keep in the mind, you have to have a SATA 3.0 connection on your motherboard to take full advantage of a 3.0 drive otherwise it will just transfer at the maximum speed your Motherboard can handle.

Most if not all SATA II or SATA 3.0 drives are either backwards compatible immediately or they can be made so by adjusting a jumper. In other words, one of the newer SATA drives will provide the faster speeds with a newer motherboard, or revert to slower speeds with older motherboards.

There are other advantages of newer drives, including denser arrays, larger caches, and improved firmware which can provide for better performance even with older motherboard SATA150 connections.

Yes, 1.5G vs 3.0G in theory.
You barely max out ~80mbyte/s per drive unless you count buffered access which is around 130mbyte/s or so.
The last part doesnt have anything to do with the interface but instead the actual drive.
//Danne

My MOBO is Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and has SATAII onboard…
My Samsung 500GB HDD says SATAII but my Western Digital dont say, it only has WD800JD_22MSA1. NO Jumpers on back of both…Both HDD are running as SATA1…does that mean that if the Main Drive (80GB OS) is a SATA1 then the other Auto runs also at SATA1.
Nothing in BIOS that I could find to change it…Unless one of you knows how. I Ordered both drives as SATA!! from Overclockers n been useing them for a few weeks now…Only found out they were running as SATA1 because I came across a Thread on them…Has Western Digital got a .com if so, I can’t find.
I got no quibbles with speed of em, it’s that If I buy SATAII I Wan’t them to work as SATAII, not1. I like ALL of my Periferals n PC to Run as they should do.
Many Thanks to you All for your Kind Help.

[QUOTE=MrScary;1927301]Has Western Digital got a .com if so, I can’t find.[/quote]http://www.westerndigital.com

I got no quibbles with speed of em, it’s that If I buy SATAII I Wan’t them to work as SATAII, not1.
I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly, then Samsung drives come as SATA1 and have to be reconfigured to enable SATA II mode (either jumper or software utility). Please check http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqList.do

Your WD came in two flavours. If you search WD knowlegde base for Answer ID 1337, then you should find a PDF document attached, that might be helpful.

Michael

Hi mciahel–Thanks for replying…The Samsung and West/Digital come Reconfigured for SATAII…To use SATA1 you have to put the plug on pins 5&6 (forW/D) NO Pin Plugs on the Drives.
No Q/A for my Question on that Link…Only refering to SATA 1.5 & 3.00
not 2…How do I find the WD knowledge base! ?
Sorry for my Ignorance on this…Never come across this in my 9 years of owning a PC…THANKS.

[QUOTE=MrScary;1927358]NO Pin Plugs on the Drives.[/quote]You’re referring to the Samsung here? If so, then there is a piece oft software that resets the interface to SATA 3.0. It can be found in their FAQ (see the link I’ve posted previously).

No Q/A for my Question on that Link…Only refering to SATA 1.5 & 3.00
not 2…How do I find the WD knowledge base! ?
Go to WD homepage (see above) and click on “Support”: http://support.wdc.com/

Michael

You Keep refering to SATA3–Why is that ?
Does this SATA 3 Patch fix the SATA2 Problem…
Again Thanks for being patiant with me, it is Appreciated.
I poped into the WD link you gave me and I’ve joined and asked them my Question as it was not in their FAQs.
Cheers.

Hi,[QUOTE=MrScary;1927510]You Keep refering to SATA3–Why is that ?[/quote]Interpret it either as SATA II or SATA 3.0 (GB/s) - both the same. SATA I is sometimes called SATA 1.5 (GB/s).

Again Thanks for being patiant with me, it is Appreciated.
You’re welcome.

I poped into the WD link you gave me and I’ve joined and asked them my Question as it was not in their FAQs.
Keep us informed, please :slight_smile:

cheers,
Michael

Hi mciahel–Many Thanks for Explaining to me…A bit more wiser now.
Reason I asked you about SATA 3 is because they are bringing out a SATA 3 (unless it’s already out) not thinking 1=1.5GB/s & 2= 3.0GB/s.
I will keep you informed, no problems.
Thanks & Take Care. Catch U Soon.
DennisR