Serial ATA and ATA question

vbimport

Hello. I’m planing to buy a new dvd rw, but it has sata interface, while my motherboard has 4 IDE slots…

Would sata work on this (i don’t mean in full of it’s potential, but would it work at all)?

SATA and IDE have different connectors, so that’s impossible to connect a SATA drive on an IDE slot. The only way is using an adapter, but it will reduce drive performance.

The best thing is to buy an IDE drive instead.

Usually all SATA drives have the equivalent model with IDE interface, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a natively IDE drive :slight_smile:

Hmm, thank you… I thought soo…

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

What is the model are you looking for? (just curiosity :bigsmile:)

[B]DVD-RW SAMSUNG SH-S203D/BEBE BLACK SATA[/B]

I can’t find 203B anywhere, so i decided to go with this one…

Hi,[QUOTE=Agent001;2095614][B]DVD-RW SAMSUNG SH-S203D/BEBE BLACK SATA[/B]

I can’t find 203B anywhere, so i decided to go with this one…[/QUOTE]
Stop! Before you go out and buy a Sata burner, please tell us what mainboard you have.
Some older chipsets don’t have proper support for Sata optical drives.

Michael

My mainboard doesn’t support sata…
In it’s guide it says that it has 4xIDE slots

That’s why i’m gonna look if there’s any version of this burner with ATA interface or to look with a burner that has ATA interface…

Samsung SH-202 series drives are the parallel ATA equivalent to the 203 series, though some believe that writing quality is slightly worse.

Still, it’s not a bad drive. I would personally recommend the Pioneer DVR-115(D) or Optiarc AD-7200A if you decide you don’t want the Samsung. :slight_smile:

I had a Pioneer and was very satisfied with it, but some local vendors offer a 2-year warranty for samsung, and i don’t know if it is the case with pioneer…