Self-destructive DRM-free DVDs from Germany

I just posted the article Self-destructive DRM-free DVDs from Germany.

A German company has introduced a DVD that can be watched for 48 hours and then thrown away. The discs will be better known as ‘Einmal’ (once) and does its trick with a self-destructive coating…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14532-Self-destructive-DRM-free-DVDs-from-Germany.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14532-Self-destructive-DRM-free-DVDs-from-Germany.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I remember when Circuit City tried the same thing with DVD movies about 10 years ago. Needless to say, it failed miserably and CC ate tons of “disposable” discs. Some never learn from history… :o

Yeah, I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the little DIVX DVD’s from the late 90’s. I would think that the news would’ve reached Germany by now.

I’n sure this is aimed at the rental market. No returns… Just put the disk out with the recycled rubish the next week…after you make a copy first :B

“copying environmentally-friendly discs sounds better than piracy. ;)” Yeah! Oh wait… Except that it’s still piracy! Silly me, we all seem to forget this don’t we? This is a stupid technology too. It’s not going to change the status quo between the high prices of media and the fact that people believe they have a right to anything they set their eyes on. I have lost hope for this world several times over. If only I believed in god or some other religion, I’d at least have SOME hope of it being corrected, but unfortunately… This is how it is.

Posted by AnotherPerson (guest) on Saturday 19 April 2008 04:42 I have lost hope for this world several times over. If only I believed in god or some other religion, I’d at least have SOME hope of it being corrected, but unfortunately… This is how it is. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Ghandi :slight_smile:

Great! Let’s fill up the landfills with disposable DVDs. How 'bout we put Mercury in them, too, and sell them in impossible-to-open clamshell packaging to boot?

Stop the whining! Its not piracy to make a copy for home use only! And what’s with you people all worried about this filling up the landfills, there would be just a small segment of the people who would want to use this when you have the internet to download movies and that wouldn’t pollute.