Self build pc

vbimport

where can i get advice to do a self build pc?
what is compatible with motherboards,cases,fans,cpu,psu etc.
i have been looking at mastercooler cases?
mark

Just Google to find a lot of info, or ask away.

what is compatible with motherboards

The first thing I do is get the Motherboard Manual and browse through it, remember everything has to be able to work through this.

i have been looking at mastercooler cases?

They do have some nice ones, as far as Cases go and what is compatible is to look for whether it can handle the Motherboard you want: Basically ATX or Mini ATX
The rest is just the look or air flow you want.

Take a look at a few of the guides for parts, like this one at Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/hardware/guides/2009/10/ars-system-guide-october-2009-edition.ars

Nice one Kerry56 :iagree: Like the way it separates the different boxes. :smiley:

Some more information are needed :slight_smile:

The first thing you must consider when choosing components is the main usage of the PC. Some basic question are the following.

Do you need something to only surf the net or check email?

Do you need a machine for video editing and /or digital photography works?

Do you need a hi-end game machine?

Do you plan to overclock the machine?

Very important: What is your budget?

Just google. There are videos on youtube and bunches of helpful forums. I made my first build a month ago. I searched and researched but the best and easiest guide came with my motherboard, it walked you right thru the process.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel i7 920 processor
Radeon 4870 1gb video card
6 gb corsair ram
2 1tb WD black Caviar HDs
Pioneer bdr-205 bluray burner
Antec 900 case

It was easier than I thought, started right up, loaded vista 64 (since upgraded to w7 pro) and to my surprise, ran right off the bat with no problems. The hardest part was figuring out where all the power cables went on the mobo. Good luck, you’ll do fine. Start with all your defaults, you can tweak from there if you want, just make sure to set a restore point and back-up first.

Like geno says, figure out what you want and your budget.

hi thanks for the helpful advice, my budget ould be £1000 ish, it will be used for the internet email and digital photography, i need to run photoshop as well as photo editing software, lightroom nikon etc.
so hard drives and memory will be important, as well as the mobo i guess?
mark

If your main usage will be for photoshop, then I suggest to spend some money on a good quality monitor as first thing.

Some video cards manufactured by nvidia (sorry, I don’t know exactly which models :o) allow to share the workload between the CPU and the VGA. This cause a huge improvement in performance.

A very good monitor is HP LP2475W, but… the price is not really good :doh:

About HDDs, I suggest to use separate drives for operative sistem and for data. For operative system I suggest to use this one.

For all data and workfiles I think that you need more large capacity drives than the fastest drive available. So, this or this or this can be good choices.

About the mainboard, do you prefer AMD or Intel platforms?

If you need advice on exactly how to put a computer together, you might want to look at this guide from the Tech Report: http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671 It is a couple of years old, but would be fine for general knowledge, and applies directly for Core2 Duo builds.

And here is a more up to date video, using AMD parts: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/video_how_build_pc_ever_step_explained

i was thinking of intel i7, as for a monitor i have one its new and hd etc
mark:)

md74, the problem with most new monitors that are LCD is that they cannot display all the colors. There are many other draw backs of LCD technology as well, but to get a quality monitor like the geno888 suggested one has to spend quite a bit. Its funny because the older CRT monitors don’t suffer any of the problems of LCD.

Here’s a suggested build to get you going, this would be a pretty kick-ass system:

Intel Core i7 Quad 860 2.80 8MB
Gigabyte P55-UD3 S1156 Intel P55 ATX DDR3 Audio & Gigabit Ethernet
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm SATA 3Gb/s 32MB
(2) Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 totaling 8GB.
Antec Three Hundred Case Black
Antec 430W Low Noise PSU
Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 5750 HD 700Mhz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional OEM 64-bit English DVD

total (inc VAT) £818.67, Just needs a mouse and keyboard. Also you would want to decide if you need a second HDD, the system is already very fast and a second drive may not be necessary.

i use iiyama pro monitors and calibration, they are very good, as i print myself the colours are very close which as a photographer is a must!

@eric93se:

Yes that system could be nice except for the fact it would be running underpowered and wouldnt last long at all.

You need to be here with that system - 700 watts

I suggest a Corsair PSU 700 watt - they run consistent wattage plus
run quiet also. Dont go cheap on the PSU this is the heart of the system.

@ricoman:

For your system there you will need to be here - 650 watts PSU

If you run dual graphic cards with crossfire performance then you will need 750 watt PSU atleast.

Note: Why i7?..i5 is just as good and cheaper to buy, not much difference in performance.

If you need advice on the PSU for the system you plan on building? or you need help in determining what will work with the system just post back with the info.

Another thing here is to note: Depending on the chipset of the motherboard this will determine if you want to go with Nvidia graphics or ATI but thats depending on chipset of the board mostly.

mobo i was looking at was the asus p6dt deluxe, i dont play games so will the graphics card be a standard one, i dont know much about cards, i was thinking of ocz or corsair mem, 6gb at least?
mark

what do you think of mastercooler or antec, corsair look nice but they are big and pricey?

[QUOTE=Riskyone101;2468869]@eric93se:

Yes that system could be nice except for the fact it would be running underpowered and wouldnt last long at all.

You need to be here with that system - 700 watts

I suggest a Corsair PSU 700 watt - they run consistent wattage plus
run quiet also. Dont go cheap on the PSU this is the heart of the system.[/QUOTE]

Actually the power consumption of the above build would be around ~230W MAX! So in fact the PSU suggested would be a perfect fit. The 5750 is not a high power card, and it uses the latest production die shrink of 40nm which also helps cut power consumption.

[QUOTE=Riskyone101;2468882]@ricoman:

For your system there you will need to be here - 650 watts PSU

If you run dual graphic cards with crossfire performance then you will need 750 watt PSU atleast.

Note: Why i7?..i5 is just as good and cheaper to buy, not much difference in performance.

If you need advice on the PSU for the system you plan on building? or you need help in determining what will work with the system just post back with the info.

Another thing here is to note: Depending on the chipset of the motherboard this will determine if you want to go with Nvidia graphics or ATI but thats depending on chipset of the board mostly.[/QUOTE]
I built it about a month ago. Yes, I do have a 650w PSU. I bought the i7 chip about 2 weeks before the i5 was introduced, though the few bucks difference is no big deal to me. When you’re spending $1500, what’s another $50?:bigsmile:

@eric93se

Im not wrong on the PSU wattage here. Why go cheap or underpowered on a nice system u have there?..all that wil ldo is cause unknown errors and possibly burn out hardware items or shorten there life span.

Oh the wattages im getting here are at almost peak levels because when your running a game what is happening to the computer and the components at this time?..How about all the problems people are having with BSOD`s and errors in page fault and non-page fault???..well partly because they are running underpowered., but not all of them just saying a majority of them, what about when your in a game playing it and all of sudden the colors change???..how about game locks up???..or computer crashes and goes into a reboot only to recieve a driver error???..and then it happens again but this time different error shows up until you have several errors showing up???..next thing here is HD gets corrupted…yes it does when all those errors happens…so what are the consequeses here???..hhhmmm lets see fix hardware problem first, shut down service or services that are causing part of the rrors, run chkdsk /f /r, possibly end up doing a repair on windows also if chkdsk fails to fix the problem areas. aaaahhhhh what headaches when someone just wants to play a game that they spent a hunk of money on a computer but it came with a poor quality PSU as most of them do from manufactures or people that dont know what they are doing when they build a computer, THEY FORGET ABOUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE…the PSU.

Advice to you:
By the way go with Corsair - they run quieter too besides consistent, not saying at all Antec is not good because they are good quality PSU`s also.

@ricoman

That is true what is 50 bucks these days especially when your talking in the thousands…lol.

Corsair
Antec
Thermaltake ToughPower (notice I said “ToughPower”)
OCZ
Seasonic

Hint: go to newegg.com or try geeks.com to shop for a good quality PSU.

When choosing a PSU you need to pay attention to the voltage on 3.3, 5.0, and 12 volt rails depending on the system you are choosing it for, it is posted in the specifications section of the PSU you are looking at, also the plug ins (pins) for the power plugs on it.

Go with AMD processors
Go with above PSU`s (stay away from cheap ones that will cause you nothing but problems in the end) also even though a cheap one runs the system at first, dont forget that they deteriate over time and alot faster than a good quality one does plus a good quality PSU runs more consistent voltage throughout its life span.

When you buy a tower to build your pc in, make sure it has breathing room between all the components and also, fan mounts (front, rear, and sides of tower) sign of a good tower. Start with CPU, cooling system, and motherboard and work your way toward ram memory and graphics card.

Nvidia or ATI?..hhhmmm …personally i go with Nvidia graphics cards unless it is not compatible with processor and chipset then it would be ATI.

Note: 32bit operating systems can only see up to 4 gigs of ram
( -video ram ) from onboard video memory.
64bit systems can see 4gigs +.