Self build or shop built?

vbimport

hi i am ready to buy my hardware etc, i am having doubts over my building skills but dont know who to trust to build it, i have heard very bad things about scan and other suppliers dont do building of systems. how much approx should i pay for a air cooled system no gaming extras?
any advice would be great!
mark

I think that some more information is needed. What will be the main usage of that machine? Do you plan to do video encoding or simply check mail and surfing the net? Or maybe mainly office software will be used in that computer? Or a media-center system?

Do you plan to use a Linux distribution or Windows? Some hardware can be a pain to be used with Linux (because of lack of drivers for example).

Can you also provide a max budget? There are so many possible combination that is rather difficult answer :slight_smile:

Assembling computers is pretty easy, everything plugs in and is keyed so that it can only fit one way. The motherboard comes with directions and their are guides available on the net. If you need help ask us here. Before you make your order I would suggest you post the parts list here so we can have look.

corsair 800d
intel i7
asus p6x58d or p6t deluxe mobo
corsair 650 psu
corsair 6gb dominator?
3 hard drives
h50 cooling
ati card 5 series?
xtra fans
windows 7 ultimate

i will be using it for photography

Photography and not games?

Which online stores do you prefer?

Since he mentions Scan I would guess he’s in UK, Scan and/or Dabs are good choices in general but that computers is heavily unsuited for photography and most important at all, do you have a decent monitor (IPS or PVA panel)?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2487632] but that computers is heavily unsuited for photography
//Danne[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by that?

I think the Intel 860 cpu with a P55 MB and maybe a 5750 video card would be a good choice. Even the 4770 video card would be fine too or even the 4670, the money saved can go towards an S-IPS monitor.

It’s way overkill, an integrated setup will be more than fine and god knows why he’ll need a X58 motherboard not to mention Win 7 Ultimate when Win 7 Pro will be fine.
//Danne, new owner of an IPS panel monitor (it’s way better than TN)

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2487647](it’s way better than TN)[/QUOTE]

As good as a CRT? :wink:

So MD74, check this out:

Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L, Intel P55 Express
Intel Core i7 860, s1156, Lynnfield, Quad Core
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600)
400W Corsair CMPSU-400CXUK Power Series PSU
Antec Three Hundred Black Midi Tower Case w/o PSU
Akasa AK-CC017 Freedom Tower CPU Cooler 4x Nickel Plated Copper Heatpipes
500GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache
1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x DVD±R, 12xDVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RWx6 ,12xRAM SATA
512MB Sapphire HD 4670, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 2000MHz GDDR3, GPU 750MHz, 320 Cores, D-Sub/ DL DVI-I/ HDMI Not in stock, you should call or email to see if they intend to restock them.

£684 with VAT. Add Win 7 Pro and a SIPS or PVA/MPVA monitor.