Well, a couple nights ago I cleaned the rubber wheel of the drive spindle (responsible for spinning a CD/DVD disc hub) on my LVW-5005’s original burner.
When I first examined it without magnification, it looked very clean. However, when I lit it up and looked at it with 4X magnification, I saw a great deal of lint and fibrous material on it, especially in between the ridges of the corrugated surface.
The surface material was quite thin and appeared to be very similar to a clear silicone “gasket” secured to the supporting surface by a thin adhesive layer, but I felt fairly comfortable using isopropyl alcohol on a Q-Tip to do the cleaning. I spent probably 5 minutes on it to make sure the surface was as clean as I could get it.
Since reassembly with a now clean hub drive surface, I’ve successfully burned four 2-hour recordings (two on Ritek 4X +RW discs and two on Ritek 4X -RW discs) from Hi8 tapes, with one recording failing and reporting an “invalid disc” when trying to erase the suspect disc (this was a Ritek 4X -RW disc). Each of the other discs allowed complete erasures (they had been used previously in failed recording attempts before the “cleaning”) and preparation prior to recording. Whenever I tried to finalize any of the discs, all I got was a “Change Disc” prompt, so I’m not sure what’s going on there.
Anyway, the “spindle cleaning” exercise has apparently made a huge difference in my recording attempts so far. This is with a drive that was still able to play commercial DVDs, but for the most part didn’t recognize +/-R and +/-RW media even though I had been able to get several 5 to 10 minute segments to record. Now it is recognizing everything I’ve put in it so far and can record a full 2 hours (I also did a successful test burn of 1 hour at the highest quality setting).
If you have a LiteOn recorder that seems to be failing a lot or most of the time, you may get some good mileage out of the old burner by simply cleaning the rubber surface that spins your discs!!
Give it a try.