Seeking thoughts on a CyberPowerPC i7-980X / GTX 480 build please

vbimport

For someone seeking a new computer we have chosen the information below for a CyberPowerPC build with an Intel i7-980X and GTX 480 proposal. I would ask for opinions on the configuration please.

We see that the GTX requires minimum of 42a on 12v rails so Apevia Warlock 900w with 4 of the 28a rails and know for 310 case all to do is remove plastic panel on side to provide excellent cooling with the metal part of side panel still in place.

I would thank you for your thoughts on the parts to make up the whole system as below:

CONFIG AT CYBERPOWERPC $2368 USD

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel (Blue Color)
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 12M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+710]
Freebies: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
Motherboard: GigaByte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX/SLI Support LGA1366 DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [-2]
Motherboard Expansion Card: None
Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory [+74] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Freebies: None
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card (DirectX 11 Support) [+517] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: 900 Watts Power Supplies [+148] (Apevia Warlock Series)
Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-35])
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+2] (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Modem: None
Mega Notebook/Netbook/Server Bundle: None
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Floppy: None
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional [+135] (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Ultra Care Option: None
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Not a very good bang for the buck ratio.
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor is a third as expensive as the 780X but it sure isn’t 60% slower… (that would be around 700$ you’d save). Same goes for the Video card, 5850 is about half the price (250$) and still provides very good performance. I can go on…
//Danne

//Danne

Or get the X58 board and the 930 cpu. That 980x cpu is a waste big time. Is this system for you Subzero? if it is, your current video card is still very fast and you could build a new PC around that.

Will this be a gaming rig?

If so, the 980x will not provide any additional speed as very few games will be able to take advantage of the extra 2/4 cores/threads. Get the 920 or 930 as eric suggested, if you plan on overclocking, make sure you get a high end aftermarket air cooler or go water as the i7 chips get very hot when overclocked.

If however, this computer will be used for video encoding or distributed computing (folding@home, world community grid, SETI, etc) you will notice a huge increase with the 980x and it is worth considering.

Thank you for replies

It is to be looked at as a gaming rig mostly but also his wish is to use VirtualBox for testing of Linux and Windows release too. He saw my purchase decision for fastest AMD 965 and GTX 295 and is wanting to use saving in his computer fund to buy his own. I will ask more of what is valued, price or speed first. I find that buying AMD 965 saved my purchase enough money so that I had enough to buy GTX 295 and am happy with result even if Intel is faster on the expensive list of their processors.

Thank you for helping

The 980x is just for suckers, Getting a 930 will be plenty fast regardless of what he’s doing with it.

Thank you for reply

Is Intel for a purchase worth the extra funds it takes verses the AMD processor? Intel appears expensive for the top chip but AMD is lower cost.

Thank you for helping

Both yes and no depending on application although in this particular case Intel is preferable due to faster cores.
//Danne

I guess for a single video card a fast quad core AMD would be fine. Going with two very fast video cards and super high resolution monitor would benefit from the faster intel quad core.

Thank you for reply

For Intel the top chips are near of the $1,000 price but AMD is near $300. I would ask do users get $700 worth of more performance from the Intel top chips?

Thank you for helping

No, they don’t get $700 more in performance. The Intel 930 chip which is one of their cheapest quad cores is faster than AMD’s fastest quad core (965).

[QUOTE=eric93se;2513030]No, they don’t get $700 more in performance. The Intel 930 chip which is one of their cheapest quad cores is faster than AMD’s fastest quad core (965).[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

I will let him know of this.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2513030]No, they don’t get $700 more in performance. The Intel 930 chip which is one of their cheapest quad cores is faster than AMD’s fastest quad core (965).[/QUOTE]

QFT. In fact, the AMD 965 is only about as fast as the faster Core 2 Quads (e.g. Q9550) in most apps.

Thank you again for replies

I have much new knowledge to impart now.