Seeking input for a DVD scan Rating system

vbimport

I have been using a grading system to help me determine the differences between the burns with different media and drives. With way too many grad. school courses in statistics and measurement, I just had to find some way to reduce our scans to a simple system where we could somehow quantify these measurements down to a few letters.

I decided to use the S&P rating system from bonds, etc., and use the letter grade to signify the score in PIFs and the +/- system to reflect the PIE score. It is assumed for these scores that there are no significant PIF scores in excess of the Max allowed and that the PIEs do not have any over 100. Otherwise I used the total score of PIF and PIE on the assumption that less is better. Using the table below, I can get a score that will represent the “quality” of the burn. For example, On my NEC 3500, with MCC 003, the PIF is 344 which would give a score of A and the PIE is 6725 which would give a score of ++ so the overall rank would be A++. My LG with the same media would be AAA+ with PIF of 3 and PIE of 38,219.

PIF	    PIE	

AAA <100 <5K +++
AA <250 <10K ++
A <500 <75K +
BBB <800 <150K
BB <1200 <500K -
B +1200 +500K –

These numbers are based on logical break points in scans I have. This is very much a work in progress, so anyone with comments is welcome to contribute. I am not personally invested in this (too much), so anything will be helpful. I am sure there is something I am missing and there are probably variations in the break points that would be more meaningful. All suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks guys.

Sorry the table is hard to read. Editing here seems to be ignored. See the attached doc.

I always been thinking how to incorporate PIF/PIF/Jitter/Read transfer into one rating. Good start chas!

We know that Erik implement a percentile system that only depends on max PIF. If we are going to go with S&P rating system, I think it would be better to stick with MAX PIF/PIE rather than TOTAL PIF/PIE.

Not sure tho but will think of something.

Maybe two ratings, one for total and another for max? The only thing I have noticed with my burns is that the max score is very close with almost any of my burns so it would not be very discriminating. Your idea would definitly be better for middle and low quality media. Good point, I forgot about lower quality.

That’s a good point…one huge spike is doom, but it may turn out to have an “AAA” rating…quite misleading. Max is the primary quality indication, followed by total. Total is important for seperating the high total 6 PIF’s from the low total 6 PIF’s. Totals are also tough, as you’ll need to ratio the size of burn (probably megabytes) to keep it accurate between each scan.

Another problem is that some media will burn great up to 3.5gb and will falsely score high…but will die from 3.5gb on. You’ll almost need a minimum burn size spec.

Wow, this is too much to think about after 4 beers…I’ll “pass out” on this tonight, maybe something will come to me in my stuper.

Ok, here it is, feel free to express your comment. :wink:

I feel that S&P rating system is too complicated for DVD quality score system since for 2 parameters we need at most 6 digits (ie. AAA+++). As I said, we need to address at least 4 parameters to cover a comprehensive scoring system, ie PIF, PIE, Jitter and Transfer Rate. It may be less confusing if we can implement a maximum of 6-8 digit quality score system for all parameters.

I may need to re-think if we want to include POF, total PIF and total PIE.

Anyway, let me propose in two ways:

1. Support and enhance the already well-known Erik’s Nero CD-DVD Speed quality score system, which is based on PIF max.

<TABLE style=“WIDTH: 337pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse” cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=449 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=“WIDTH: 69pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3364” width=92><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3328” width=91><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” span=2 width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2706” width=74><TBODY><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 117pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=156 colSpan=2 height=17 x:str="’ PIF max">PIF max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 116pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=155 colSpan=2 x:str="’ PIE max">PIE max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 104pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=138 colSpan=2 x:str="’ Jitter">Jitter</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl34 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 51pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” colSpan=2 height=68 rowSpan=4>Erik’s Quality Score</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent”>AA</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 20">20</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 1">1</TD><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 9,0%">9,0%</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>A</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 100">100</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 0">0</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >9,0%">>9,0%</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>B</TD><TD class=xl28 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 280">280</TD><TD class=xl30 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl31 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>C (coaster)</TD><TD class=xl28 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >280">>280</TD><TD class=xl32 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl33 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Example:
PIF max = 3, PIE max = 12, Jitter = 8.5%, POF=0:
New Quality Score system: 99 AA 1

1. Implement a new scoring system, which is hopefully not too complicated so it can be accepted by the community. The new scoring system can be use by any drives and scanning softwares.

1 ECC (Plextor/Plextools, LiteOn/KProbe?)
<TABLE style=“WIDTH: 433pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse” cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=577 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=“WIDTH: 69pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3364” width=92><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3328” width=91><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” span=2 width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2706” width=74><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” span=2 width=64><TBODY><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 117pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=156 colSpan=2 height=17 x:str="’ PIF max">PIF max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 116pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=155 colSpan=2 x:str="’ PIE max">PIE max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 104pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=138 colSpan=2 x:str="’ Jitter">Jitter</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=128 colSpan=2 x:str="’ Transfer Rate">Transfer Rate</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>AA</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 1">1</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ ++">++</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 20">20</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 1">1</TD><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ straight">straight</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 1">1</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ smooth">smooth</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>A</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 2">2</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ +">+</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 100">100</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 0">0</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ curved">curved</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 0">0</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ drop">drop</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>B</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 4">4</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ ±">±</TD><TD class=xl28 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 280">280</TD><TD class=xl30 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl31 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl31 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl32 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>C (coaster)</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >4">>4</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent”>-</TD><TD class=xl28 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >280">>280</TD><TD class=xl33 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl34 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl34 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl35 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Example:
PIF max = 3, PIE max = 12, Jitter = 10.5%, Transfer Rate = smooth, POF=0:
New Quality Score system: B ++ 0 1

8 ECC
<TABLE style=“WIDTH: 433pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse” cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=577 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=“WIDTH: 69pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3364” width=92><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3328” width=91><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” span=2 width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2706” width=74><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” span=2 width=64><TBODY><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 117pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=156 colSpan=2 height=17 x:str="’ PIF max">PIF max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 116pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=155 colSpan=2 x:str="’ PIE max">PIE max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 104pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=138 colSpan=2 x:str="’ Jitter">Jitter</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=128 colSpan=2 x:str="’ Transfer Rate">Transfer Rate</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>AA</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 3">3</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ ++">++</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 20">20</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 1">1</TD><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 9,0%">9,0%</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 1">1</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ smooth">smooth</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>A</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 9">9</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ +">+</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 100">100</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 0">0</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >9,0%">>9,0%</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 0">0</TD><TD class=xl29 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ drop">drop</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>B</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 16">16</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ ±">±</TD><TD class=xl28 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 280">280</TD><TD class=xl30 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl31 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl31 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl32 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>C (coaster)</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >16">>16</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent”>-</TD><TD class=xl28 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ >280">>280</TD><TD class=xl33 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl34 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl34 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD><TD class=xl35 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver”></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Example 8ECC:
PIF max = 3, PIE max = 12, Jitter = 10.5%, Transfer Rate = smooth, POF=0:
New Quality Score system: AA ++ 0 1

Note:
a). For point #2 above, afaik, the PIF max is equivalent to Erik’s quality score:
<TABLE style=“WIDTH: 117pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse” cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=156 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=“WIDTH: 69pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3364” width=92><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” width=64><TBODY><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 69pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=92 height=17 x:str="’ PIF max">PIF max</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=64 x:str="’ QS">QS</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17 x:str="’ 3">3</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 99">99%</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17 x:str="’ 9">9</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 95">95%</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17 x:str="’ 16">16</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:str="’ 90">90%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
b). If POF>0 then it’s automatically a coaster hence the scoring system will be “C - x x”, where “x x” is jitter and/or transfer rate.
c). Based on Standard ECMA-349 Second Edition (June 2004), PDF here, the measured jitter should not exceed 9%.
d). While standard says Sum1 PIF max is 4, let assume that PIF max @8ECC is 16.
e). In 2004 in the Plextor forum I tried to come up with a “scale” quality score sytem here and posted in the FAQ here (although not widely implemented), that’s why I propose a four scale system, ie AA A B C, to be less confusing compare to the 6 scale S&P rating (AAA, AA, A, BBB, BB, B).

The only problem I have with your system is that it wouldn’t really tell me anything about the variations I get with my drives and my media. Virtually all of my burns would wind up A++ or A+. Your system is great for separating the wheat from the chaff but I am trying to classify variations within only high quality burns. I have added 2 more catagories to take into account max PI and max PIF and I did the same as you in using 2 catagories but with only 5 different possibilities. This goes the opposite from yours in making it more complex.

I’m going to give it more thought overnight and see if I can get both of what we want with fewer letters. I will probably dump the multiple letters and go straight A-F and 1-6 and then another 2 symbols for Max PIF and PIE.

Thanks for the perspective; it does need less but I have to believe that the totals make a difference. Maybe not, but Erik thinks so for PIF.

We can just mandate that the disc be fully burned in order to qualify for a score.

Four beers, boy it was a long time ago that four beers would get me close to pass out. But then I haven’t had a drink in 21 years.

Hey zevia, how does this look.

I use four numbers and letters for each rating. The first letter indicates PIF total, the second PIE total, the third PIF Max, and the last is PIE Max. It could easily be arranged in any order but these are where I find the most variation, first to last.

As an example, a disc with PIF total 44, PIE total 8000, PIF max 1, and PIE max 7 would get a score of A2A1 (my LG G02s). The first and third are PIF and the second and fourth are PIE; easily rearanged and redesignated if you should want PIF together and PIE together. Short, sweet, discriminating and meaningful. Adding a ! could be used if there were a spike or another anomoly.

I like the general idea…

IMO, I think that PIF max, PIE max should be rated first…as they are most important. It would flow better with how most view scan graphs. In your chart an A1D4 “looks” better than a D4A1…“A1” burns should be “A1” burns, not “D4” burns…see my point?

The second alphanumeric being totals. That way a low max burn, with low totals will sort to the top (A1B2). A low max, high total next A1D3. A medium max, low total next…and so on. Media abnormalities like small 5 error spikes will drop to the bottom…as they should.

That’s just my 2 cents. I suppose it’s how you look at what’s important in your burn - Max or Totals. Personally, I think it’s max.

I would have to agree with you. Most people look at Max rather than total. With my burns total is the discriminating factor but with most media ir is the other way around. I’ll redo.

Thanks.