Seek thoughts on Nvidia driver stability in Windows 7

vbimport

I would ask thoughts on the status of Nvidia driver stability in Windows 7.

I am having problems in Windows 7 with the GTX 460 with games Dirt2, Command & Conquer 3 and others and have no AMD brand to compare to for driver stability.

In games as above I find problems ALT-TAB out of game to desktop not working at all or properly, PRINT-SCRN not working at all just show black only when paste to Paint and sometime misrepresenting of graphics on screen.

Example in C & C 3, Tiberium crystals will show as blotch of green or blue not proper transparent with edges and smoke but sometimes will show properly.

Example in Dirt2, game will stutter when going through dust or water or impacting other car trunk as I drive behind to try to push and spin it.

GTX 460 is a new card and only 2 driver version have come out to support it, but I wonder if AMD cards on 5800 series like 5830 have more stable and functional working driver than Nvidia in Windows 7. Also to ask if others have problem in Windows 7 with Nvidia driver.

I thank you for helping.

SubZero

Well first which version of 7 are you using and what is the driver your using? Your vague on specifics to know what is going on? You sure those problems are from the game software itself and not the nvidia driver? Did you make sure your games are updated themselves?

Thank you for reply

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and drivers 258.96 (first to support GTX 460) and try also 260.89.

The game software play fine on XP 32 bit.

Well, Alt-Tab issues are known and have been a general issue for as long as I can remember concering games as well as print screen. This is why games have a builtin routine for screenshots (if any at all).
//Danne

[QUOTE=SubZero;2552105]Thank you for reply

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and drivers 258.96 (first to support GTX 460) and try also 260.89.

The game software play fine on XP 32 bit.[/QUOTE]

And did you try those games on another similiar computer to see what happens?? That is another way to test what might be causing the problem. Also I wouldn’t recommend using ALT-TAB as you might cause other problems you didn’t forsee coming. That key function should only be used for switching apps not swithing games as those games are running with all resources and doing so is like kicking it out and asking it to go back to fast mode. And it might bulk at that command function.

What resolution are you running Dirt at? Dirt is a very demanding game at higher resolutions.

fwiw, I need to run DiRT 2 at 720p to get decent frame rates on my Radeon 5770. Higher resolutions works fine until there are a lot of trees :wink:
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2552113]Well, Alt-Tab issues are known and have been a general issue for as long as I can remember concering games as well as print screen. This is why games have a builtin routine for screenshots (if any at all).
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

With those two version of driver shown above and XP 32 bit SP3, the ALT-TAB and PRINT-SCRN work as should with version 1.0 of the game. If I patch game to 1.1, it changes how it work so that it is more like doing ALT-ENTER to put it in a window on desktop, which still allow you to access the rest of the desktop programs.

With same on Windows 7 64 bit version 1.0 of game will not work with screen shot (PRINT-SCRN) or ALT-TAB. With version 1.1 of game, still no screen shot and not reliable ALT-TAB but ALT-ENTER will get me back to desktop in most cases.

Same drivers are much more normal and working on XP 32 Bit than on Windows 7 64 bit for me. I think maybe Nvidia need work harder on making their Windows 7 drivers better?

Does Dirt2 have any way to take screen shot built in? I cannot find one in looking so far. I use PRINT-SCRN all the time and find I depend on how well it normally is working to do many things more than I thought I did.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2552161]And did you try those games on another similiar computer to see what happens?? That is another way to test what might be causing the problem. Also I wouldn’t recommend using ALT-TAB as you might cause other problems you didn’t forsee coming. That key function should only be used for switching apps not swithing games as those games are running with all resources and doing so is like kicking it out and asking it to go back to fast mode. And it might bulk at that command function.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

Under all games in XP 32 bit I think ALT-TAB work well. Windows 7 is the problem so far.

I have swapped a GTX 285 and GTX 460 between 2 different machine, as well have installed Windows XP 32 bit, Windows XP 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit on the main GTX 460 machine (has intel 6 core processor). So far, Windows XP 64 bit is most problematic with drivers for other parts of system. It only patch to SP2 and I do not think I have available 64 bit drivers for all the new hardware for XP 64 bit.

I have all drivers for XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit and the display problems are in Windows 7 not XP 32 bit so far.

I purchase the new system with Windows 7 64 bit and 12 gig of RAM so I could do much multi-tasking, including games. This was the main purpose. I do VirtualBox a lot on it but also run games to examine performance of components.

New system has Intel i7-980X Extreme, 12 gig of 1600 memory and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with GTX eVGA Superclock 1 gig GTX 460 with 256 bit data path. It should be able to handle anything thrown at it I had hoped but there is combination of new hardware card (GTX 460) and what seem buggy Windows 7 driver for that card that are behind much of problem. Dirt2 is not most stable of game though either. But it also cause problem with Command and Conquer 3, which has never had any problem on any system I run before. It has been very stable game with never any display glitch before Windows 7 and GTX 460.

I may have bought card too soon and should have got established card instead? GTX 480 was big and loud so I thought of GTX 460. I wonder if GTX 480 would have less of problems with Windows 7?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2552252]What resolution are you running Dirt at? Dirt is a very demanding game at higher resolutions.[/QUOTE]

Thank you also for reply

I have run game at 1600x1200 most of time.

Another bug is in Windows 7, it does not do LCD scale properly. In XP if I set to DO NOT SCALE and set game to 1280x960 instead of native 1600x1200, game appear properly with 4 black space around outside and main game at true 1280 pixels wide on screen.

In Windows 7 with GTX 460, game always scale to full screen no matter of resolution chosen. That is frustrating.

I like Windows 7 ok. Windows XP 64 bit not well supported or developed, but XP 32 bit still is, with many good driver. But Windows 7 64 bit is only real option for 64 bit and my hardware, and I would hope to see problems fixed.

Windows XP 32 bit is working best for gaming when compare to Windows 7, at least so far for me. It work noticeably better than Windows 7 so far. I hope that Windows 7 will get better fixed.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2552280]fwiw, I need to run DiRT 2 at 720p to get decent frame rates on my Radeon 5770. Higher resolutions works fine until there are a lot of trees :wink:
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Thank you again for replying

I can run game with excellent speed on same system with XP 32 bit at 1600x1200. I hope for same on Windows 7 some day soon. XP 32 bit only use 4 of 12 gig too, but it still much smoother and run very fast on same hardware when compared.

I have all settings to ultra/max but:

Reflections = Low
Mirrors = Off
Drivers = Off
Crowd = Off

I have Nividia set to:

8x AF
4x AA
2x Supersample Transparency
Triple Buffer ON
Vsync ON

Here another way to go have you directly called or emailed the software company that created the games to get their input as to why this happens?? That might be another venue to go that their programming might be for XP currently and not for running on Win7?? I don’t use Directx11 games yet but there is one coming out that I like to buy and see how it works on my GTX460 OC card. I also read reviews in CPU mag. that shows and I got a replied back from them that Dirt2 has issues on GTX460 cards in their review and tests. So I think it is possible that the O/S and GPU isn’t the casse but the software itself or one of its’ components isn’t ready for use in the Fermi GPU cards???

Turn off Vsync.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2552417]Turn off Vsync.[/QUOTE]

I would not wish to do that as there is much tearing. I have Triple Buffering on so it is smooth though.

Latest Nvidia driver
"Improves Alt-Tab compatibility for several PC games."
version 260.99

[QUOTE=eric93se;2553564]Latest Nvidia driver
"Improves Alt-Tab compatibility for several PC games."
version 260.99[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply and tip

I try the 260.99 driver and find no help with ALT-TAB but find the game is now crashing where it did not before, so going back to 258.96 has no game crashing.

It seem that both Nvidia and game maker have trouble with Windows 7 and DirectX 11 and users will have to be patient to get fixes, or use XP, which has no bugs like these.

Thank you again for replying

Don’t know your exact setup but I have 260.99 and played a demo of Gothic 4 without any crashing plus I was running a program in the background as I played the game as well. I think there might be something more then nvidia that is causing the game play problem there? But my advise for anyone playing GPU intensive game save and quit the game then go back to your regular desktop to avoid causing instability in your O/S switching back and forth with ALT-TAB function. That function should be best left for word apps or apps that aren’t GPU intensive that can function without causing system instability.

Subzero, you might want to try and uninstall all Nvidia drivers, then run “driver sweeper” to clean out the old Nvidia drivers, then reboot and install the latest driver package.

Thank you for replies

For purposes of driver testing I have use of a disk imaging program and revert to base install with no video driver then install whichever driver version I am to test, 258 or 260 and on.

Problems are specific to GTX 460 and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have opinions from varied sides, some blame Nvidia driver, some Windows 7/DX11 and some the game. I have no trouble with Command and Conquer 3 before, and it is a very solid reliable game, but have trouble now, so I begin to think it probably more to be a combination of Driver and Windows 7/DX11 and how they function together.

I have been told it is wise to understand that is a peril of buying newer technology. The GTX 460 is latest card and bound to be containing of more bugs in the drivers and Windows 7 is latest OS, so it with DX11 need time to mature also. I needs be more patient perhaps and wait for them to grow mature.

I thank you for helping

[QUOTE=SubZero;2553958]
I have been told it is wise to understand that is a peril of buying newer technology. The GTX 460 is latest card and bound to be containing of more bugs in the drivers and Windows 7 is latest OS, so it with DX11 need time to mature also. I needs be more patient perhaps and wait for them to grow mature.

I thank you for helping[/QUOTE]

That my be true but of recent of the newest game Gothic 4 didn’t have problem running on my OC GTX460 1GB nvidia card.