Seek a replacement for Win 7 Media Player

vbimport

Hi Members,

A few years ago bought a Compaq Presario CQ63 / Win 7 Home Premium. From the start it has been slow to perform any task.
Don’t like Win 7 including its Media Player.

Decided to go back to my old computer for doc work and use laptop for photos and music.

Tried to download to laptop older versions of Media Player used on XP. but laptop rejects saying I have a newer version (Win 7 ).

Question : If I can’t download older versions of M.P to Win 7, please suggest a similar, EASY TO USE, FREE software program for - rip, burn, download,modifying and indexing, library, playlists.

Have a look at Media Player Classic. For video, including HD video, MPC-HC is the ticket. And its free.

VLC is free also, but you may have the same issues.

Most of the problems with the version of Windows media player
supplied with Windows7 are related to two issues…

The first is that there are errors in Windows Explorer (not to be confused with the browser) and the way it interrelates to programs that depend on it.

The rest of the issues are related to the choice of how default settings are configured, things that worked well without adjustment in XP and Vista across
WMP8, WMP9 and WMP10 are kinda screwy in WMP11

my original “issues” with WMP11 was that it kept losing directories due to the
screw-up with explorer.

In most cases this can be fixed by running Microsoft FixIt, but in rare cases a complete re-nstall is required.

Going to another media player for this reason doesn’t do anything to correct the problem, it just “sweeps it under the rug” so to speak, and the underlaying problems WILL find other ways to manifest themselves.

One thing to “like” about WMP11 is that it natively plays mp4 video files.

THE thing that shines about WMP is it’s library and play list functions.

VLC always struck me is kinda “Bare bones”

[QUOTE=parpi;2706282]Hi Members,

A few years ago bought a Compaq Presario CQ63 / Win 7 Home Premium. From the start it has been slow to perform any task.
Don’t like Win 7 including its Media Player.

Decided to go back to my old computer for doc work and use laptop for photos and music.

Tried to download to laptop older versions of Media Player used on XP. but laptop rejects saying I have a newer version (Win 7 ).

Question : If I can’t download older versions of M.P to Win 7, please suggest a similar, EASY TO USE, FREE software program for - rip, burn, download,modifying and indexing, library, playlists.[/QUOTE]

I think your case is a case of bloatware that is causing the slow down. Maybe you should uninstall unwanted programs and try again. Get CCleaner when your done uninstall and wipe those bloatware away.

Thanks members for your input.

Coolcolors : Only original basics on notebook. Slow from the day I got it.
Have run Ccleaner ( good piece of ware ).

AlanDeGroot : Appreciate your detailed reply. Have downloaded MS Fix IT and will see if things improve. Agree WMP is a great original file. I especially like 9. Simple and versatile. Wish I could use it on notebook.

Compaq Presario CQ62. AMD Athlon 2 360 DualCore, 2,36 GHZ RM : 2 GB / 64 bit.

[QUOTE=parpi;2706410]Thanks members for your input.

Coolcolors : Only original basics on notebook. Slow from the day I got it.
Have run Ccleaner ( good piece of ware ).

AlanDeGroot : Appreciate your detailed reply. Have downloaded MS Fix IT and will see if things improve. Agree WMP is a great original file. I especially like 9. Simple and versatile. Wish I could use it on notebook.

Compaq Presario CQ62. AMD Athlon 2 360 DualCore, 2,36 GHZ RM : 2 GB / 64 bit.[/QUOTE]

So more info what do you mean slow from day one?? What do you mean Original basics? Was this a standalone install or factory install? And you might want to get more memory expand to 4gig that will help especially since your using x64. I got a 1525 with a T8100 4gig Windows7x64 Ult Sp1 Standalone install and only slow down I get is when I open to many windows.

a couple of other suggestions about keeping WMP running…

First and foremost do not use the default directories for your media files.

I do not even have my (or for that matter any) media files on C:, let alone in the default folders of users/music/… (whatever)

My audio files are all on my “G” hard drive and it’s mirrored twin “H”.
My video files are all on “F” and it’s external backup “S”

Media Player is only allowed to see “G” for audio and “F” for video

The other thing seems kinda strange but it avoids issues with WMP11…

That is whenever you are adding folders and files to
your “watched” directories (folders) have the WMP11 program OPEN

IF it’s open it is far more likely to correctly “find” the new folders and enclosed files.
If it is not open there is no reason to believe that it will EVER find new folders/files.

I personally have just over 45,000 separate mp3’s my WMP is keeping track of

THE point to having media elsewhere, even my picture files and default picture library are off of C is should C fail all I lose is my Operating system installation
and SOME (but not all) settings (most of those are separately backed up)

another thing that WMP is flakey about, though this tends to be more of an issue with WMP9 and WMP10 is file fragmentation,

My NOTEBOOK is another issue, my primary notebook is also a Dell 1525 (excellent computer) but mine runs on a T8300 CPU 4gb of RAM and is running Windows7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit (Dell OEM installer)

I have had to reinstall windows twice due to WMP/Explorer screw-ups. screw-ups that Microsoft FixIt would not correct.

I keep cloned images of all my installs so when I kill a particular demonic possession it stays “killed”, but next time my 1525 suffers a windows failure I’m putting Win7Pro SP1 x64 on it, the Professional installation on my HP desktop has been stable for 2-1/2 years.

VLC Media Player is one of the Best Media Players I have ever used… I’ve been using it since 2005. For some reason when I play a Blu Ray (BD-R) using VLC I’m not getting any audio… Is this a codec issue? I’ve never seen VLC Media Player to have any codec issues up until now.

Thanks!

^I haven’t seen VLC refuse to play audio from Blu-ray movies. Blu-ray can use several different types of audio…AC3, True HD AC3, DTS, DTS HD MA, and LPCM.
So its difficult to know what is going on here.

Examine the m2ts file in the video with MediaInfo to see what type is not playing. Also try some other free players and see if they have an issue. Media Player Classic Home Cinema and PotPlayer are both good for playing m2ts files, though the user interfaces in these are not spectacular.

I’m surprised no one has suggested Foobar2000. I’ve found it to be capable of keeping track of files accurately (new files are added to the library, non-existing files are removed, changed roles are… changed), as well as quickly. Also, unlike most Microsoft programs, this one is easy (or, should I say “possible”) to install/reinstall this program.

MusicBee is also a pretty good choice (for the same reasons), but it also comes with an arguably better GUI.

is a great media player. Way better than WMP.

Bob

One issue I’ve personally had in the past with VLC
is having the program making itself the default media player for effectively ALL
the media on my computer.

and the other annoying thing is that it assigned little VLC’s “traffic cone” icons
to all my media files, by overwriting my own tediously imbedded album art thumbnail images.

Those two issue were enough to make me unwilling to try it again except on a computer with cloned drives, just to see what the newer versions will do…

it made an unholy mess last time…

Just do not ask me about my experiences with Nero.
(I have a dull rusty knife on hand should I ever meet anyone
involved in creating that unholy abomination)

^ VLC is my preferred media player and since I use the portable version it doesn’t make itself the default player for anything nor does it replace existing thumbnails with its “traffic cone” icon.

I use various media players and like Phil, I mostly use portable progs.
I even have a potplayer install that I made into portable.

So… I use Potplayer, MPC-BE, MPC-HC and sometimes VLC portable.

My ways are different from most, I suppose… I despise any media player that scans my hard drive, looking for media files.
Dumped WMP years ago…but it is quite ok with me that others use and enjoy it.

IMO, VLC and MPC are really about on par with each other. They both get the job done without much hassle.

I used my WMP in W7 to play most videos but I do use codec plugin that allow it to play a variety of formats. WMP by itself is limited to the format it can play and dvd playback is stone age at best. If I wanted to watch dvd/bd movie I use WinDVD 11 pro for that job and the rest I use WMP with codec plugin and so far this setup has worked fine for me.

YeS, YOu can use VLC media player. VLC media player is best player i have ever used…

Thanks…