Securom using Blindwrite and Plextor Premium

vbimport

I read the following quote by Philamber:

. [The only combination of software and hardware that, since July 2003, has been able to do so is blindwrite v. 4.5.3 or later with a plextor premium writer with firmware revision 1.03 or later. A copy made with that combination is currently the closest possible to a “1:1” copy and will install and run from virtually any drive without any form of emulation save for the need to use an atip hiding utility if playing from a writer.]

I tried that combination, with blindwrite 4.5.7, plextor premium fw1.05 and was able to create a copy of spellforce, which would install and play on liteon drives (no autoplay, using physical bwa). This was familiar to me, done that stuff with the famous blindwrite 4.2.5 before.

However, the so created backup will not INSTALL “from virtually any drive”. Nec, Plex and Tosh all fail in reading the data. I’ve searched quite a number of posts for possible proceedings with the combo Philamber describes, to no avail. It works via Daemon-Tools and via Liteon readers (either DVD or CD), but not in my other drives. I did set the plextools to “hide atip”.

So my question is, whats the trick with the plex premium and blindwrite, to get a copy that has the qualities which philamber describes (installing from virtually any drive) ? Thanks for info or a link to an article which deals with this issue.

if i get your question right i would say:
there is no trick, you just have to DEactivate / shutdown the plextools before using blindwrite 4.5.7, then the rest will be easy… :wink:
making backups with my premium for long time now and have had no probs on any drive… and i haven’t installed the plextools…

Originally posted by Razor1982
shutdown the plextools before using blindwrite 4.5.7, then the rest will be easy… :wink:
making backups with my premium for long time now and have had no probs on any drive…

So your Securom Backups, done with 4.5.7 will install on a Plextor Premium?
How do you set blindwrite? Do you read a bwa?

I had difficulty to interpret many posts that I read here. When the poster says “I had no problems” or “it works”, then that could mean that the disk will start the game as a key. It might not install. It could mean that the poster has a dozen progs running, like alcohol, blindwrite etc., and that in that environment, the thing starts.
The point of Philambers statement was however, that on a freshly installed system, the game will install and run without any specific help in form of software or hardware. I am wondering, because later in that article, he himself points out that the twinpeaks method has its problems in this field:

Fact: No matter how good the twinpeak copy, it won’t be able to be used to install the game from some drives even though it can be used to play. Again, the better the bwa file, the better your chances but even a perfect bwa file doesn’t guarantee success. A twinpeak copy is not a standard cd and many readers will “choke” on the twin sectors when trying to install. As a general rule, the more accurate the reader, the more likely it is to “choke” when reading during the installation process. You will probably have difficulties with installation from the twinpeak copy if you use either a Toshiba or Plextor drive as the reader. On the other hand, Lite-on drives are somewhat more tolerant of twin sectors and you shouldn’t have much difficulty with installation from a Lite-on drive so long as your bwa file didn’t have too many spikes.

So I figured that with the plex Prem, there is another way of creating the copy, one that does not use twin peaks and still works. I just like to know how this is done using blindwrite 4.5.7. They way I’ve done it is to create and use the bwa file, but apparently that way I get a twinpeak copy with all its shortcomings.

first make sure the bwi file …which is the image that bW creates and the .bwa file have the same name…for instance

spellforce.bwi
spellforce.bwa
spellforce.bwt

once that is done properly bW 4 ‘knows’ that Plex Premium is on an IDE channel and will use its features and not the Twinpeaks method…

and post the log while you are at it!!!

Nec, Plex and Tosh all fail in reading the data
Are these straight cd-roms? If not and you don’t have Blindwrite or at least the auotplay filter installed then they will not start, not without using something to hide the ATIP.

first make sure the bwi file …which is the image that bW creates and the .bwa file have the same name…

Oh yes, that is done. Blindwrite 4.5.7 asks explicitly if to use the physical information on that bwa. I said yes. I also deselected that hook next to autoplay in the Blindwrite preferences.
I’ll try again and see if there is a log somewere.

bW 4 ‘knows’ that Plex Premium is on an IDE channel and will use its features and not the Twinpeaks method…

What will it do? Use Gigawrite? If so, would that not require a CD-R? Perhaps I should try that?

Edit: I just stopped a burn on the last second, when I was asked if I am going to use the physical information from the bwa. In the Error Message it said that the Plex Premium was an unknown drive. This seems to contradict the statement that bw4 “knows” the plex premium.

Are these straight cd-roms? If not and you don’t have Blindwrite or at least the auotplay filter installed then they will not start, not without using something to hide the ATIP.

I realize that. My point is, that they don’t install, because they can’t read the disc, which is normal for a twinpeaks copy. I am aware that I need to hide the atip on the burners. I usually do that with Plextools.

and post the log while you are at it!!!

I am curious as to where that log would be?

BW only uses the special features of a Plex Premium if you use a CD-R it will not work with an CD-RW

Thanks!
Meanwhile, I got there too. I read through posts in the Plextor Sub-Forum and found a link to a post on Plextor firmware. In that thread, the basis of the procedure is made clear. So some gigarec like mode is used, which only works with CD-R as you have stated. So far so good. The burning process ended upon some error message, but the cd was burned and the entire data could be file-copied off the CD, so the data is now readable. I am having trouble to run the disc though. In the old Plex 241040 burner, the thing won’t run. Perhaps the hide atip plextool isn’t working? Or have they blacklisted Plextools by now? What other Atip hiding utility is free and easy to use, without introducing many other changes and without being blacklisted? (NO emulation at all!)

Edit: It was blacklisted. An update to plextools 2.10 did make it run from the plex.

The plextools hide atip is only good if used in the Plextor Premium if I am not mistaken, thats why the autoplay filter.
BlindWrite 4.5.7 will find the bwa file because of the extension, but in order to use it you will have to name the bwa file to the exact name of the cd you made the BWA from. So when you save the BWA exactly like the disk it was copied from and it is found then it will be used if the name is exact, if the name is not exact even tho blindwrite finds the bwa it it will not use it.

Plextool 2.10 hide cdr works on old Plex 241040 as well…

So your Securom Backups, done with 4.5.7 will install on a Plextor Premium?
How do you set blindwrite? Do you read a bwa?

I had difficulty to interpret many posts that I read here. When the poster says “I had no problems” or “it works”, then that could mean that the disk will start the game as a key. It might not install.

to answer your questions:

1st: i make .mds files with alcohol 120 'coz they are better (absolutely NO spikes - looks perfect…) and convert them using the bwa builder

2nd: yes, my plex-premium copys install from EVERY drive i tested them with… and those were many… :wink: but: some of the newer securom titles make read-errors if reading too fast (higher than 4x) and that causes some drives to be unable to read the burned data… i read only at 4x and all my backups are good…

3dr: when I say: everything works great, I mean: EVERYTHING works great… i ALWAYS install AND play from my created COPY - 'coz with a not 100% good copy i could not sleep well… :wink: :iagree:

Raz

Thanks,
after I got it figured out, all this becomes clear. I too noticed the read errors, though they don’t affect ability to install, it seems.

With some of my drives, I don’t get any spikes either. Plex Prem isn’t one of the good ones in that regard.

I agree with you that if you actually make a backup, it should work on its own. Unfortunately, from reading many posts here, this isn’t the general concensus. Many posters are not even aware, how doped their machines are in order to play the so called copies.