SecuROM Games you can't copy - please read

Thanks to all posters. This thread has been compiled from other threads in the Forum. philamber’s thread about the latest version of SecuROM. If your game title is listed here, it will probably be impossible to copy until CloneCD or another soft app is tweaked. Cracks, patches, downloaded images and known warez copies DO NOT COUNT so do not discuss them. If you know a version number that’s not listed, please post or PM a Mod/Admin so we can add it :slight_smile:

Latest SecuROM Thanks to logicwatch, Morglum007, [yAtEs] and philamber. Read about No “cloned disc” has been since the new version of SecuROM has been released in June! (sic)

Arx Fatalis, Hotel Giant and Industry Giant were the first titles to popularly telegraph a more robust SecuROM. It was also noted on SecuROM’s website but obviously something went a little awry with Never Winter Nights (NWN). New code seems to make some readers, notably burners, unreliable subcode readers; currently, we’ve hit a proverbial brick wall. The last version capable of being copied successfully at present appears to be #v4.77.00.0029 >The Thing; (Disciples II is v4.77.00.0001); (Etherlords v4.76.00.0001); (Soccer Manager v4.74.00.0006). You should be able to copy any SecuROM protected CD using that version # or below but will almost certainly fail if the version # is higher than that one. The version number of SecuROM can be found after AddD string in the protected executable using a HEX Editor or Viewer

[ul][li]Emperor: Rise Of The Middle Kingdom (E:ROTMK) v4.77.00.0050[]Virtual Resort: Spring Break (VRSB) v4.82.01.0004[]Empire Earth: Art of Conquest (EEAOC) v4.82.01.0027[]Baldur’s Gate II (BG2) v4.82.00.0139[]Emperador - El nacimiento de China (Emperor…): Emperor.exe (4.82.01.0002) Emperoredit.exe (4.82.01.0012) []Neverwinter nights NWN (1.21) 4.82.00.0139[]Unreal Tournament 2003 (UT2003) v4.83.11.0005[]Frontline Attack: War over Europe (FAWOE)[]Beach Life v4.82.01.0005[]Hitman 2 (HM2) v4.83.11.0031[]Diciopedia 2003 PT (Portuguese) v4.82.01 0004[]No-one Lives Forever 2 (NOLF2) suspected > as there are no errors on a read[]Real War: Rogue States (RWRS) suspected as well[]Roller Coaster Tycoon 2[]Lord Of the Rings (LOTR) v4.83.55 0008 [/ul][ul][]Industry Giant II v4.76.00.0009 (IG2) has been copied by PaRaDoX[]Disciples 2 has also been defeated by a Liteon - IceStorm[]More problems with Arx Fatalis; I thought this defeated based on a reliable source; now known as v4.82.01.0027 from Benji28fr at clone.cd/phpBB > anyone done this?[/ul]Other very new SecuROM threads[ul][]look for posts by Morglum007 and logicwatch[]UT2003[]Spring Break[]Empire Earth: Art of Conquest[]Frontline Attack[]Virtual Resort: Spring Break[]Emperor: Rise Of The Middle Kingdom[/ul]Starforce [ul][]Codename: Outbreak[]Cossacks (ProtectCD) is Starforce protected in Russia/Ukraine[]IIRC the Russian editition of IL2-Sturmovik[/ul]Tagès This can be beaten but not with consumer software at this point. Check for the \Data\Shared\Wave.aif file (81920 bytes).[ul][]Motoracer 3 (MR3)[/ul]ProtectCD 5[ul][]Cultures 2 probably Russia/Ukraine only[]Port Royale from Ascaron confirmed[/ul]You can d/l .MDS patch files from daemon-tools.com for several titles imaged in Fantom CD
[/li]
SafeDisc 2.5 A quick word about SD2.5

Many writers could backup SafeDisc2 with little or no trouble up to the end of v2.4 (which introduced the ATIP Check in the Max Payne official patch 2.3 to 2.4). Tiger Woods Golf 2002 (TWG2002) introduced SD2.51.020 which knocked some writers over, notably Plextors, while Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (MOH:AA) at 2.51.021 knocked over most of the remaining SD2 killer burners

SafeDisc Hybrid Dungeon Siege (which can be copied - it’s interesting so I mention it here) displays SafeDisc behaviour on a CloneCD read. It sounds like ProtectCD in part but until I get an original we’ll run with philamber’s and PaRaDoX’s description; [update]thanks also to gowap who thinks it is SafeDisc

A tweaked version of SD1.
The clockspl.exe (cd in jail icon) is not on the disk (as usual for SD1) but the dlls are there (clcd16.dll and clcd32.dll).
There is a strange 00000001.LT1 (like the 00000001.tmp of SD2)
Less defective sectors too (range is only 809-1527 on CD1.)

Originally posted by [yAtEs]
[B]

The actual commerical name for this protection is
‘SafeDisc Lite’ and can be seen on Microsoft titles,
its identified by the dll lite.dll or perhapes it was ltd
something simular anyway,

regards,
yates. [/B]
[/update]

Other Protections Checkout the FAQ and Down & Dirty sticky posts

Tagès This can be beaten but not with consumer software at this point. Check for the \Data\Shared\Wave.aif file (81920 bytes).

And what should we do with this file?

Nice post, now we all know which games and protections are the nasty ones.

If someone has discovered a way to copy one of this games/ protections he(/she) could post it directly in this thread.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]

And what should we do with this file?[/B]
Just nothing - it’s evidence of Tagès

Originally posted by FutureProof
SafeDisc Hybrid Dungeon Siege displays SafeDisc behaviour on a CloneCD read. It sounds like ProtectCD in part but until I get an original we’ll run with philamber’s and PaRaDoX’s description

I have the french version of Dungeon Siege and I confirm it’s a SD1 like. Here is what LocutusOfBorg (dtools board) said about this special safedisc protection :

Safedisc HD is more or less the same as Safedisc 1. additional the developer can determine that, f.e. the gamedisc must be inserted everytime the game starts (like standard-SD) or from time to time (every second start of the game). I’ve see this protection first on “Microsoft Trainsimulator-german Version” and on this game you don’t have to insert the original-disc everytime you want to start the game, just from time to time. There’s no deeper sense in that, afaik.
summarizing it’s only Safedisc 1 and can be backuped with every raw-capable burner

Games with “very new” securom distributed in Spain:

Baldur’s gate - Neverwinter nights
Beach life
Disciples II
Emperador - El nacimiento de China ( Emperor…)
Etherlords
Soccer manager

And i can give u the version of this securom but i need to see what is. Games like U2003 haven’t been released here in Spain so i can’t give u what version have.

Good luck!

PD: Neverwinter is securom “very new” here in Spain ( was released on 27th september)

Dont we go through this once every year to 18 months they come out with a new set of protections. we run around with out heads cut off. and about a month later its coping as normal. i think the best thing we can do is invest in a CD-RW disk and keep tring to figure this thing out keep talking to eachother on methods we have tried and beat this thing once again. another great thing is to hear from Oli some more. Other than that im off to try to beat this thing. as For MOHAA i cloned that game with no problem with my 24x10c40 liteon using the both cd check and sd2.5 no aws settings never winter i used securrom and it worked great. so those are copiable.

Others might have mentioned this before, but again: Neverwinter Nights is considered uncopiable only with version 1.21 and 1.22.

EDIT I have reason to believe that NWN CD3 has twin sectors.

@ alexnoe
Could you check and post the securom version numbers used on NWN 1.21 and 1.22? (I presume you have the executables.)

It occurs to me that it’s possible that some securom protected games that were released a while ago but which people don’t seem able to copy may have been released using one or other of those versions.

@ Morglum007 and logicwatch (if you read this and I’m sure you will)

Could you also check and post the securom version numbers used on the games that you’ve been unable to copy?

I only have the 1.21 patch, but at the moment, 1.24 is installed. I’ll have to reinstall it and install 1.21 again.

Guess where one twin sector seems to be: the 4th-last sector! This one has been reported bad for other such games in some programs, hasn’t it…

Originally posted by alexnoe
Guess where one twin sector seems to be: the 4th-last sector! This one has been reported bad for other such games in some programs, hasn’t it…

Surprise, surprise! :rolleyes: Read errors with some programs on Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom are at sectors 318265 and 318266 out of 318269 (i.e. the 5th-last and 4th-last sectors).

Also read errors with some programs on The Thing at sectors 130113 and 130114 out of 130117. 5th-last and 4th-last sectors again. (I am definitely NOT going to install any update patch of that game as I’m pretty certain that my back-up copy will become useless the moment I do.)

What I dislike is that out of 8 tries, I got 6x the same result, and only 2x (2 out of 3 tries in the Toshiba), different data was reported. In fact, the verification in the toshiba is very fast…at the moment, I suppose there are one or two twin sectors at the end.

EDIT the “secondary” sector header of sector 304145 on NWN indicates mode 2 :confused:

Okay…here u are with the securom versions:

Baldur’s gate - Neverwinter nights (1.21) (4.82.00.0139)

Beach life (4.82.01.0005)

Disciples II (4.77.00.0001)

Emperador - El nacimiento de China (Emperor…):
Emperor.exe (4.82.01.0002)
Emperoredit.exe (4.82.01.0012)
TIP: Different versions of the protection in the same disc

Etherlords (4.76.00.0001)

Soccer manager (4.74.00.0006)

The two last are the Tester games…image works but it’s imposible to duplicate when burning into a cd.

Disciples 2 Euro version --> copied successfully using LTR24102B

Originally posted by IceStorm
Thanks, I’ll take it off the list.

Originally posted by Morglum007
Disciples II (4.77.00.0001)
Etherlords (4.76.00.0001)
Soccer manager (4.74.00.0006)

Given their version numbers, these 3 should all be possible but not necessarily easy to do.

I note that IceStorm has managed to copy Disciples II and, unfortunately, not many people will have the Spanish versions of the latter pair so it’s difficult to test.

Originally posted by IceStorm

I can confirm this from germany !!!

I was wondering … (burned with good old SONY XRE (?) - 140)

Cultures 2 also was no problem !!

@alexnoe

I have reason to believe that NWN CD3 has twin sectors.

If I remember it right, Tagés was using twin sectors as well!
So the new SecuROM is a mix of the old SecuROM protection and Tagés???

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if this is true Ollie has to hurry up with his new default game profile for copying these protections.

[quote Olli]
I don’t want a new button. I want, that CCD does it automatically with the default game profile. And I am close.

[quote Olli]

Link: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53643&highlight=olli

You’re right, Tagès uses twin sectors as well (it’s really tagès, not tagés :slight_smile: ) I hope i’m not hunting ghosts in this SecuROM…if there are indeed twin sectors, then you all can stop any attempts to copy it…it won’t work until Olli does something about it (or unless the verification is flawy)…

Detecting twin sectors needs special attention by the software. After Olli has managed this, he can add a game profile or make a check box such as “[ ] look for twin sectors”

Well hopefully Olli will soon release a new CloneCD with this functions, because otherwise we will have a lot of games which we can’t copy. :Z

And I forgot if it was Tagés or Tagès.
So I guessed: WRONG! :wink:

If spath is right with his Tagès/twin sector theory, twinsectors could not exist at the end of the cd, because of the lack of precision in the seek routine of a cd-reader. For the same reason the range of twin sectors should also be big enough, so if there is something in the last 4 or 5 sectors, it can’t be twinsectors like in Tagès.