Securom 5

vbimport

when i try 2 play my sonic game it tells me 2 insert original disc why is this i ringed sega and thy tell me its my cd combo it s a samsung 352b and its the problem with the drive some one pls help ive unistalled all copying programs as well + is this a good cd writer for protections ive only bought the damm thing + tried the game in my pionnieer 106 still asked for the original …any help appreciated

Originally posted by ryansmith
when i try 2 play my sonic game it tells me 2 insert original disc why is this i ringed sega and thy tell me its my cd combo it s a samsung 352b and its the problem with the drive some one pls help ive unistalled all copying programs as well + is this a good cd writer for protections ive only bought the damm thing + tried the game in my pionnieer 106 still asked for the original …any help appreciated

My advice: Return it to the dealer, get your money back!
If everyone with problems does this, maybe the publishers will stop adding those protections.

dont see how a combo drive can affect an original

securom v5+ can have major blacklisting going on ie copying software, emulation and virtual drives.

Its more likely that because these protections are so far removed from the Orange/Yellow book standard that they simply do not work in some drives.

Dr Evil is indeed correct.

This is the ‘future’ of copy protection - they will not run on writeable devices - honestly chuck it in normal CD/DVD-ROM and I bet it works 100% fine…

Any company that utilises this protection must be contravening the sale of good act?

They cannot claim it is a PC CD-ROM if it so far removed from the definition of CD-ROM standards???

You’re right - hope consumers vote with their wallets and returns on this one! :smiley:

MC

Originally posted by StoopidMofo
[B]dont see how a combo drive can affect an original

securom v5+ can have major blacklisting going on ie copying software, emulation and virtual drives. [/B]

blacklisting other apps, that the original game doesn’t run?
Simple solution: Return the game to the dealer. Get your money back with the words “it doesn’t run”. No further argument needed. Nobody can force you to remove your software or virtual drives to play (or let someone in your family play) a stupid, protected game. Buy another game, which behaves better. Simple as that.

Originally posted by Olli
blacklisting other apps, that the original game doesn’t run?
Simple solution: Return the game to the dealer. Get your money back with the words “it doesn’t run”. No further argument needed. Nobody can force you to remove your software or virtual drives to play (or let someone in your family play) a stupid, protected game. Buy another game, which behaves better. Simple as that.

Hi Olli. I tend to be in agreeance with you on that, dictatorial protection by using blacklists is their cowards way out because the protection is too weak and is failing, its really a no win situation as if they get it too strong it would most likely be a cd so outside of book standards it would fail to work in more cases from original disk.
Still worth trying to get it working b4 you return the game :wink:

How ever to look at the rights of users is it also not true that any trial software that you uninstall should leave absolutely NOTHING behind on the users system. That way when a trial software is updated the average user can re try the software to see if the new version does actually do what is promised and suits the user.

Also as a large quantity of major game houses use mainstream protections, to return all those games, well now Linux is really becoming worth looking at, windows would be almost useless.

Unforunately, it isn’t that easy. Very few places allow you to return opened software for refund. No other consumer product is like software. You basically have the right to use it on one computer. You have no rights if it doesn’t work. Only with those companies that specify a money back guarantee do you have any rights.

Tim K - this all depends on the specific laws of your ‘Host’ country!

Ryan,

If you purchase a product that does not CLEARLY state it will NOT WORK on your hardware configuration - you have an excellent case for RETURNING the game and RECEIVING A FULL REFUND.

If SEGA have sent a communication admitting this, they have no legal recourse - they have to offer you your money back!

I would try the retail outlet first, take a copy of the mail with you - if they don’t give you a refund - contact SEGA directly.

Check the SALE OF GOODS ACT, for the country you are residing in, this should give you a clear indiciation as to your consumer rights!

Ryan - If you don’t mind - could you let us know how you get on? (if you decide to take back!)

MC

Originally posted by muzchap
Check the SALE OF GOODS ACT, for the country you are residing in, this should give you a clear indiciation as to your consumer rights!

Certainly the law downunder is that the product (in this case the computer game) sold has to be reasonably fit for the purpose for which it’s sold.

In other words, if it doesn’t work on a system that meets the minimum requirements published on the side of the box, you’re entitled to return it and get your money back. :iagree: