Security researcher: Ultra HD Blu-ray 'friendly' drives collect and transmit data about rips (updated)

bd
uhdbd
bluray

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/security-researcher-ultra-hd-blu-ray-friendly-drives-collect-and-transmit-data-about-rips-84033/

So-called Ultra HD (UHD) Blu-ray ‘friendly’ drives send data to a server when the drive is used to rip discs. The application responsible for data collection and submission of the data, appears to be loaded from a hidden partition on UHD Blu-ray discs, that can only be seen with UHD Blu-ray ‘friendly’ drives.

De-Niro

Simply disgusting if this is true.

Reminds of a talk from professor Eben Moglen

LOL nice one. should scare the eggs out of a few people :slight_smile: ip 920…

Can programs such as IsoBuster see that partition?

How exactly? Without user confirmation?

I suggest you read the article in full. :slight_smile:
Especially the last paragraph. :sunglasses:

Ah, I see, Dee.
How else could it have worked? :wink:

I forgot about “that”.

Obviously the joke is over. It was good. The hidden in plain sight giveways were nice and I especially liked the “E.T. phone home” reference.

That said, the part I find most humorous is where logic falls over when really looking at the purported story. When these earlier impacted drives were first created the term UHD Friendly didn’t exist and no one knew someone would find a workaround to use the drives to make backups. So, why would all this added tracking and such be added into a drive that was never meant to read UHD discs in the first place? :wink:

Nonetheless, well played, Myce. Well played.

IMG951322

Even better lol… but hey that can really happen…

I should have noticed that the IP address was fake. None of the groups of numbers in a proper IPv4 address can exceed 255. Silly me.

In any case, I can totally see people from AACS-LA reading an article like this, and saying to themselves “This is a really good idea. We should totally get behind this.”