Security Isuues

hello
I desired to talk about security issues in computers.Yes i know this has nothing to do with cds but where else can you speak with talented computer individuals
then this forum.for instance i use Zonealarm because ive been taught that is the best firewall but is that true.I need you experts to set me straight!tell me the best security setups, virus scanners ect.
thx
:smiley:

ZoneAlarm is nothing but crap, designed to fool users who like colored buttons.

It can easily be circumvented (for it only compares file names), it even gives intentionally false alarms to appear being increasing security.

There’s a FAQ on ZoneAlarm available in German, which explains why this program is FUD.

then what would one need to have a proper firewall?

Originally posted by Crazy Bob
then what would one need to have a proper firewall?

Linux :wink:

A non Microsoft-OS, and more in-depth-knowledge on existing protocols than all of us have altogether. And of course all Java disabled.

thx guy your right a linux system would be better.but exactly why is linux best at security?:bigsmile:

Originally posted by 2ndsign
thx guy your right a linux system would be better.but exactly why is linux best at security?:bigsmile:

It doesn’t use IIS

err?!What is IIS?:confused:

im trying to learn all I can guys.

:bow: cdfreaks

Originally posted by 2ndsign
[B]err?!What is IIS?:confused:

im trying to learn all I can guys.
[/B]

Have you ever heard of Google???

:confused:

yes i did a google search?i found out what it is but i couldnt find anything related to linux.

IIS = Internet Information Services

If I am not mistaken. This is Microsoft’s internet server utilities pack, included in Windows OS’s.

For more information go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/iis/Default.asp

(Belvedere said it wasn’t linux related, so why did you search for IIS and linux? :confused: )

IIS stands for Internet Information Server( or System).

It is M$'s webserver and ftp server. Dont qoute me on this, but I think it also can do newsgroups stuff do, but like I said dont qoute me.

It was a extra for WindowsNT Server, and it is part of WIndows2000 advanced. I think it also comes packaged for .NET server also.

If you are running IIS, make sure you patch it regularly.
The most secure computer is one that is locked in the basement with no power, locked in a box with a electric shield all around it and a armed security guard. A determined and skilled (noticed I said “skilled”) can get into a computer no matter how tight it is.

what about those routers that have a built in firewall, are they any good??
should you also run a seperate firewall from the built in one??

Originally posted by Catfisherman
what about those routers that have a built in firewall, are they any good??
should you also run a seperate firewall from the built in one??

Usually the word “firewall” is a bit misplaced here. Depending how you look on it.

For one , a firewall can mean : Block some ports. (For instance , only let through port 80 and 21).

For another , a firewall can mean : Block port[x] inboud , block port[x] outbound , another port[x] outbound , some inbound , etc , etc (For

Then there’s : Block some ports , check some packages , translate to other ports or IP#'s , etc

The firewall in the highly popular (ADSL) routers are usually nothing more than port blockers , not scanning the packages for malicious purposes , just letting everything through. These can still be attacked by Denial Of Service , since they do not block some ip# that keeps attacking them on a port they can go through. But usually that’s also enough.

This movie gives some understanding about firewalls and security issues.