Security firm asks for help cracking ransomware key

vbimport

[B]New blackmailing Trojan encrypts files using high-grade 1024-bit RSA key

[/B] June 8, 2008 (Computerworld) A security company on Friday asked for help cracking an encryption key central to an extortion scheme that demands money from users whose PCs have been infected by malware.
[B]

Link: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9094818

:cool::cool:
[/B]

Lol!
Backups are entirely necessary these days :stuck_out_tongue:

I throught this ransomware was something new but I’m wrong I see, I just was honored by this virus ,and it was a bugger to get rid of ,that if I did ,my system seams to be working.
This virus attack takes control of you computer and threatens you saying you just broken the law and they said to pay a fine or the government will prosecute with a jail sentence and you can’t get your computer back until paid.Well the government hasn’t stoop to that yet I hope,anyway this virus got incidentally opened and an official screen pops up and you can’t do anything.
I had to restart in safe mode and delete three files and than restore the computer to a time earlier before the virus files where downloaded.I than ran my anti virus programs two time afterword ,I think and hope I got rid of it.
I surf the net to bid my time that I can’t sleep and this thing just downloaded when I downloaded something and it popped up as a icon on my desktop and I clicked on it to see what it was ,big mistake…it holds your system for ransom.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2669967]I surf the net to bid my time that I can’t sleep and this thing just downloaded when I downloaded something and it popped up as a icon on my desktop and I clicked on it to see what it was ,big mistake…it holds your system for ransom.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly the type of people they are looking for those that happily click away without even thinking wait what is this thing. I already edited my Hosts file to prevent such ads and any sites trying to redirect my links to a null page stopping their attacks. Maybe you should try that as well edit your Hosts file to stop such malicious attacks or clicking on sites that are mined with Malware waiting to hope on your computer. I will say this for sure Hosts edited file cost you lot less and is a cheaper way to stop ads, popups from even getting loaded rather then buying or install ad stopper programs of which themselves could be undermined by those very same Malware.

thanks coolcolors I’ll do that,

“gov’t hasn’t stooped to this… YET” Ah, but the RIAA is loving the idea! Shhhh - please!

Yes. And it’s a shame that ransomwares do this at all. I just wish we could find and sue those folks who do this to recover all the lost productivity. Wish they’d take THAT responsibility since they seem to only want “redistribution of wealth” - fine. Capitalism. But I want mine, too.

In the solution, do users need to access their computers thru a new UserID? (We always install one of those because so many Ransomwares of the past crippled the infected UserID and only another admin-type to do most-certain restoration).

Sue? you want to sue them?

I’d like a couple of days with them someplace where their screams will not be heard… and where their bodies will not be found after I’m done.

For what it’s worth, as this may assist some people, a lot of these ransomware packages can be removed by booting into ‘safe mode with networking’ and tackling it from there.

In most instances this should let you research the problem and download a solution, if you can’t access the Internet otherwise.

[B]Wombler[/B]