Security expert: Not showing file extensions on Windows 10 worst idea ever

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Security expert: Not showing file extensions on Windows 10 worst idea ever[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/CLBBgiRUYAIb724--95x75.png[/newsimage]

Like previous Windows versions, also Windows 10 doesn’t show file extensions, which according to a security expert is the “worst idea ever”.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/security-expert-not-showing-file-extensions-on-windows-10-worst-idea-ever-76825/](http://www.myce.com/news/security-expert-not-showing-file-extensions-on-windows-10-worst-idea-ever-76825/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

that alone is a good enough reason NOT to upgrade

So Windows 10 works the same way as Windows has worked for the last 20 years, but now it’s a scandal?! :doh:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2757638]So Windows 10 works the same way as Windows has worked for the last 20 years, but now it’s a scandal?! :doh:[/QUOTE]

True but then again…if one reads carefully…

Cybercriminals regularly send out spam mails with executable fixes hidden as documents like invoice.pdf.exe.
If you don’t know whom is emailing you or didn’t expect a email from them - then it wasn’t from them. We seem to have lost “COMMON SENSE” here. And live the Alice in Wonderland world of “Click to be Satisfied”…

another user argues that the majority of users doesn’t pay attention to that

And this says it all…no Translantion needed…

Its a setting and its on purpose ! “Hide Extension if known File Types”. Its  one of the first things I turn off in Windows folder options every time after installing an O/S (I’ve done alot at my job over the years) whether its XP, 2000, 2003, Win7, 2012 etc…
This was a case of Windows trying to be more Mac-like in the GUI and it has been like this forever.
Dude’s right it increases risk but seriously he’s expects them to revert to DOS style file display convention NOW ?Â

Its a setting and its on purpose ! “Hide Extension of known File Types”. Its  one of the first things I turn off in Windows folder options every time after installing an O/S (I’ve done alot at my job over the years) whether its XP, 2000, 2003, Win7, 2012 etc…
This was a case of Windows trying to be more Mac-like in the GUI and it has been like this forever.
Dude’s right it increases risk but seriously he’s expects them to revert to DOS style file display convention NOW ?Â

Ugh, double post because I thought I was editing a typo … CD Freaks,.I mean MyCE,… there’s a bug in your script after posting comment… remains open to be posted again…

The scammers usually send malware in zip files now as exe files to be automatically deleted by email or security filters. Your unzip program should show you the true file extension of the files contained within the zip. Just have a program like malwarebytes and or BitDefender running along with a bit of common sense when opening files.